|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Medicine Arrow do to give Custer bad luck?
(a) Refused to smoke a pipe with him.
(b) Spit on Custer's boots.
(c) Poured ashes from a pipe onto Custer's boots.
(d) Rode in a circle counterclockwise.
2. What did Custer name as one of the chief pleasures he and Libbie enjoyed on the Plains?
(a) Horseback riding.
(b) Camping under the stars.
(c) Visiting new places.
(d) New commands.
3. According to Chapter 13, what was the first financial offer that the government made to Plains tribes?
(a) $25,000 annuities.
(b) $10,000 annuities.
(c) $20,000 annuities.
(d) $15,000 annuities.
4. What political party did Custer officially endorse in 1866?
(a) Libertarian party.
(b) National Union party.
(c) Republican party.
(d) Democratic party.
5. Who was Custer to accompany on his first post-Civil War assignment?
(a) General Sheridan.
(b) General Kirby-Smith.
(c) General Sherman.
(d) General Grant.
6. Along what trail did the army plan to build a fort in 1866?
(b) Santa Fe.
7. In what city did Custer and his wife have their portraits painted in Chapter 14?
(a) New Orleans.
(c) St. Louis.
8. Who kills Little Hawk?
(d) A group of white miners.
9. Which railroad originated in California?
(a) Union Pacific.
(b) Central Pacific.
(c) Kansas Pacific.
(d) California Pacific.
10. When E.B. Taylor met with Red Cloud, what did he raise the annual annuities to?
11. Who had Reno's men on the run?
(b) Sitting Bull.
(c) Short Bull.
(d) Crazy Horse.
12. What did Custer have his photo taken with in the Black Hills?
(a) Grizzly bear.
(b) Inyan Kara.
(c) Two elk.
(d) Band of Oglalas with the Red Cloud Agency.
13. Who killed Captain Fetterman?
(b) Fetterman killed himself.
(c) Captain Brown.
(d) Crazy Horse.
14. Who has Custer arrested on the Yellowstone campaign?
(b) Lieutenant Stanley.
15. Who was placed in charge of the Department of the Mississippi?
(a) Colonel Taylor.
(b) Colonel Carrington.
(c) Major General Sherman.
(d) General Tecumseh.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 20, who makes the statement that if he were Indian, he would prefer to live on the open plains instead of a reservation?
2. How many men of the 7th Cavalry did Custer march toward Little Bighorn?
3. In 1868, approximately how many troops were stationed on the frontier?
4. Who does Crazy Horse marry in 1872?
5. One of the boys who listened to Crazy Horse tell stories became a famous holy man. Who was it?
This section contains 373 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)