|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which railroad originated in California?
(a) Central Pacific.
(b) Union Pacific.
(c) Kansas Pacific.
(d) California Pacific.
2. Where was Custer's version of the Reno scouting expedition published?
(a) New York Herald.
(b) Chicago Times.
(c) St. Louis Dispatch.
(d) Boston Globe.
3. Custer wrote to Libbie that the "Indians have a new name for me." What was it?
(c) Yellow Hair.
(d) Loud man.
4. What was the Army's station from their fight at Little Bighorn and where Custer planned for them to return to after the battle?
(a) Fort Laramie.
(b) Fort MacArthur.
(c) Fort Omaha.
(d) Fort Abraham Lincoln.
5. Who is Mitch Bouyer?
(a) Indian agent.
(b) Half-blood Crow tracker.
(c) Army Lieutenant.
6. Who remarks in Chapter 21 that Custer is going to be killed?
(a) Lieutenant Godfrey.
(b) Crazy Horse.
(c) Sitting Bull.
(d) Lieutenant Wallace.
7. Who is Mark Kellogg?
(a) Custer's nephew.
(b) Custer's second in command.
(c) News correspondent.
(d) Custer's brother-in-law.
8. At the Battle of Washita, what tune did Custer have the band play?
(a) When the Saints Go Marching In.
(c) Garry Owen.
9. What does the phrase, "to touch the pen" mean?
(a) To sign a treaty.
(b) To agree to negotiate a treaty.
(c) A chief touched a pen that was then used by a white man to write the chief's name.
(d) Lets the white government know that a tribe is interested in making a treaty.
10. Which Native American scout remained with Custer as he first entered the Black Hills in 1874?
(a) Bloody Knife.
(b) Still Water.
(c) Medicine Bill.
11. What do Sioux call the Black Hills?
(a) Holy Hills.
(c) Pa Sapa.
12. In Chapter 20, who makes the statement that if he were Indian, he would prefer to live on the open plains instead of a reservation?
13. According to Chapter 20, what two Sioux leaders were jealous of each other?
(a) Crazy Horse and Sitting Bull.
(b) Sitting Bull and Red Cloud.
(c) Red Cloud and Spotted Tail.
(d) Young Man Afraid and Old Man Afraid.
14. What did Custer name as one of the chief pleasures he and Libbie enjoyed on the Plains?
(a) Camping under the stars.
(b) Horseback riding.
(c) New commands.
(d) Visiting new places.
15. Who was placed in charge of the Department of the Mississippi?
(a) Major General Sherman.
(b) Colonel Taylor.
(c) Colonel Carrington.
(d) General Tecumseh.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much would the extra cavalry offered by Terry have increased Custer's fighting strength?
2. Who is the Miniconjou medicine man who has a strong vision in Chapter 18?
3. In Chapter 16, who says that he's ready for peace?
4. Who killed Captain Fetterman?
5. Who had Reno's men on the run?
This section contains 435 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)