|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. One of the boys who listened to Crazy Horse tell stories became a famous holy man. Who was it?
(a) Black Kettle.
(b) Black Elk.
(d) Fool Crow.
2. In Chapter 20, who makes the statement that if he were Indian, he would prefer to live on the open plains instead of a reservation?
3. In Chapter 19, who is mentioned as being "drunk nearly all the time"?
(a) Fred Grant.
(b) Harry Reynolds.
(c) Gary Owen.
(d) Charley Agard.
4. What did Sitting Bull do with much of the money earned at Buffalo Bill Cody's Wild West Show?
(a) Spent it on horses.
(b) Sent it to his family.
(c) Gave it to poor children.
(d) Bought things with it.
5. How much would the extra cavalry offered by Terry have increased Custer's fighting strength?
(a) Thirty percent.
(b) Twenty percent.
(c) Forty percent.
(d) Fifty percent.
6. What Oglala enters Custer's camp soon after Custer arrives in Nebraska?
(a) Young Man Afraid.
(b) Pawnee Killer.
(c) Red Cloud.
(d) Spotted Tail.
7. Carrington read the Bible every morning in what languages?
(a) Greek or Hebrew.
(b) Latin or English.
(c) French or Greek.
(d) Spanish or Latin.
8. What does the phrase, "to touch the pen" mean?
(a) Lets the white government know that a tribe is interested in making a treaty.
(b) To agree to negotiate a treaty.
(c) A chief touched a pen that was then used by a white man to write the chief's name.
(d) To sign a treaty.
9. Who is Mark Kellogg?
(a) Custer's second in command.
(b) News correspondent.
(c) Custer's brother-in-law.
(d) Custer's nephew.
10. Who does Crazy Horse marry in 1872?
(a) Black Shawl.
(b) Red Feather.
(c) Red Elk.
(d) Black Buffalo Woman.
11. Who kills Little Hawk?
(c) A group of white miners.
12. What is the highest hill at the northern end of the bluffs at Little Bighorn called today?
(a) Crazy Horse Hill.
(b) Custer Hill.
(c) Sioux Hill.
(d) Medicine Hill.
13. What river takes the Custer party to Alexandria?
(a) Ohio River.
(b) Canadian River.
(c) Red River.
(d) Mississippi River.
14. Where did Red Cloud make what the author calls a "splendid" speech?
(a) Potomac River, Washington, D.C.
(b) World's Fair, Chicago.
(c) Cooper Union, New York.
(d) State Capitol, Omaha.
15. What position is Custer offered in Chapter 14 that pays $10,000 a year?
(a) Position protecting California railway workers.
(b) Position in the War Department in Washington, D.C.
(c) Position in Mexican Army.
(d) Fort Commander over Fort Kearney.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what city did Custer and his wife have their portraits painted in Chapter 14?
2. Which regiment stages a mutiny against Custer in Texas?
3. In Chapter 16, who says that he's ready for peace?
4. Where was Custer's new regiment, the 7th Cavalry, assigned to in 1867?
5. In 1868, approximately how many troops were stationed on the frontier?
This section contains 453 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)