|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What Oglala enters Custer's camp soon after Custer arrives in Nebraska?
(a) Spotted Tail.
(b) Red Cloud.
(c) Young Man Afraid.
(d) Pawnee Killer.
2. Where was Custer's version of the Reno scouting expedition published?
(a) St. Louis Dispatch.
(b) Boston Globe.
(c) Chicago Times.
(d) New York Herald.
3. What position is Custer offered in Chapter 14 that pays $10,000 a year?
(a) Position protecting California railway workers.
(b) Position in the War Department in Washington, D.C.
(c) Fort Commander over Fort Kearney.
(d) Position in Mexican Army.
4. Where did Crazy Horse mourn his daughter's death for three days and nights?
(a) Shoshoni country.
(b) Crow Country.
(c) Powder River.
(d) Black Hills.
5. In Chapter 15, Custer ignores orders and camps at the Republican River because he is expecting Libbie to arrive at which fort?
(a) Fort Wallace.
(b) Fort Laramie.
(c) Fort Sedgwick.
(d) Fort Leavenworth.
6. Where was Custer's new regiment, the 7th Cavalry, assigned to in 1867?
(a) Fort Riley.
(b) Fort Dodge.
(c) Fort Hays.
(d) Fort Leavenworth.
7. In 1867, a Missouri senator complains about the Indian wars costing the government at least how much daily?
8. At the Battle of Washita, what tune did Custer have the band play?
(a) When the Saints Go Marching In.
(d) Garry Owen.
9. One of the boys who listened to Crazy Horse tell stories became a famous holy man. Who was it?
(a) Black Kettle.
(b) Fool Crow.
(d) Black Elk.
10. Custer wrote to Libbie that the "Indians have a new name for me." What was it?
(a) Yellow Hair.
(c) Loud man.
11. In Chapter 16, who says that he's ready for peace?
(a) Red Cloud.
(d) Crazy Horse.
12. What does the phrase, "to touch the pen" mean?
(a) Lets the white government know that a tribe is interested in making a treaty.
(b) A chief touched a pen that was then used by a white man to write the chief's name.
(c) To sign a treaty.
(d) To agree to negotiate a treaty.
13. What political party did Custer officially endorse in 1866?
(a) Republican party.
(b) Democratic party.
(c) Libertarian party.
(d) National Union party.
14. What did Custer have his photo taken with in the Black Hills?
(a) Grizzly bear.
(b) Band of Oglalas with the Red Cloud Agency.
(c) Inyan Kara.
(d) Two elk.
15. In what city did Custer and his wife have their portraits painted in Chapter 14?
(a) St. Louis.
(d) New Orleans.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 17, who is quoted as saying, "We were up against it from the start"?
2. In Chapter 20, who makes the statement that if he were Indian, he would prefer to live on the open plains instead of a reservation?
3. Who is Mitch Bouyer?
4. What river takes the Custer party to Alexandria?
5. What bad news did Custer receive on January 31, 1866?
This section contains 467 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)