|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In 1868, approximately how many troops were stationed on the frontier?
2. Where was the 1868 treaty signed?
(a) Fort McPherson.
(b) Oglala winter camp.
(c) Fort Laramie.
(d) Fort Wallace.
3. In Chapter 20, who makes the statement that if he were Indian, he would prefer to live on the open plains instead of a reservation?
4. In Chapter 17, who is quoted as saying, "We were up against it from the start"?
(a) Crazy Horse.
(b) Little Hawk.
5. Why says in Chapter 18, "There are not many joyous people here"?
(a) Lieutenant Stanley.
(c) Tom Custer.
(d) Libbie Custer.
6. Custer wrote to Libbie that the "Indians have a new name for me." What was it?
(a) Yellow Hair.
(c) Loud man.
7. According to Chapter 20, what two Sioux leaders were jealous of each other?
(a) Young Man Afraid and Old Man Afraid.
(b) Red Cloud and Spotted Tail.
(c) Crazy Horse and Sitting Bull.
(d) Sitting Bull and Red Cloud.
8. What book is Custer reading in Chapter 19?
(a) Major Battles and Campaigns of the American Revolution.
(b) Final Campaigns of the Civil War.
(c) History of the War in the Peninsula.
(d) Memoirs of Ulysses Grant.
9. In the last five months of 1866, how many times did the Sioux attack Fort Phil Kearny?
10. When did Custer leave for Fort McPherson?
(a) August, 1868.
(b) June, 1867.
(c) May, 1866.
(d) July, 1869.
11. What was the Army's station from their fight at Little Bighorn and where Custer planned for them to return to after the battle?
(a) Fort MacArthur.
(b) Fort Omaha.
(c) Fort Abraham Lincoln.
(d) Fort Laramie.
12. According to Chapter 13, what was the first financial offer that the government made to Plains tribes?
(a) $25,000 annuities.
(b) $20,000 annuities.
(c) $15,000 annuities.
(d) $10,000 annuities.
13. Who was Custer to accompany on his first post-Civil War assignment?
(a) General Grant.
(b) General Kirby-Smith.
(c) General Sherman.
(d) General Sheridan.
14. What did Medicine Arrow do to give Custer bad luck?
(a) Rode in a circle counterclockwise.
(b) Poured ashes from a pipe onto Custer's boots.
(c) Spit on Custer's boots.
(d) Refused to smoke a pipe with him.
15. Who is the Miniconjou medicine man who has a strong vision in Chapter 18?
(a) Long Holy.
(b) White Bull.
(c) Gets-the-Best of-Them.
(d) Pleny Lice.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the first banking house to fail in 1873?
2. One of the boys who listened to Crazy Horse tell stories became a famous holy man. Who was it?
3. In 1867, a Missouri senator complains about the Indian wars costing the government at least how much daily?
4. What political party did Custer officially endorse in 1866?
5. Who has Custer arrested on the Yellowstone campaign?
This section contains 423 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)