|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What political party did Custer officially endorse in 1866?
(a) Democratic party.
(b) National Union party.
(c) Republican party.
(d) Libertarian party.
2. Why says in Chapter 18, "There are not many joyous people here"?
(a) Tom Custer.
(b) Lieutenant Stanley.
(c) Libbie Custer.
3. Where was Custer's version of the Reno scouting expedition published?
(a) Chicago Times.
(b) St. Louis Dispatch.
(c) New York Herald.
(d) Boston Globe.
4. What do the Cheyenne call the battle at Rosebud?
(a) Crazy Horse's Revenge.
(b) Where the Crow and Shoshoni are Beat.
(c) Attack of the Crook.
(d) Where the Girl Saved Her Brother.
5. In Chapter 20, who makes the statement that if he were Indian, he would prefer to live on the open plains instead of a reservation?
6. Where was the 1868 treaty signed?
(a) Oglala winter camp.
(b) Fort Laramie.
(c) Fort McPherson.
(d) Fort Wallace.
7. Who was Custer to accompany on his first post-Civil War assignment?
(a) General Kirby-Smith.
(b) General Grant.
(c) General Sherman.
(d) General Sheridan.
8. Who is Medicine Bill?
(a) A hunter.
(b) A warrior.
(c) A scout.
(d) A trader.
9. According to Chapter 13, what was the first financial offer that the government made to Plains tribes?
(a) $25,000 annuities.
(b) $15,000 annuities.
(c) $20,000 annuities.
(d) $10,000 annuities.
10. What did Custer have his photo taken with in the Black Hills?
(a) Grizzly bear.
(b) Inyan Kara.
(c) Two elk.
(d) Band of Oglalas with the Red Cloud Agency.
11. One of the boys who listened to Crazy Horse tell stories became a famous holy man. Who was it?
(a) Black Elk.
(b) Black Kettle.
(c) Fool Crow.
12. What was the title of Libbie's description of her and her husband's time at Fort Hays?
(a) Our Life at Fort Hays.
(b) Frontier Life for the Custers.
(c) Following the Guidon.
(d) Following the Indian Trail.
13. In Chapter 15, Custer ignores orders and camps at the Republican River because he is expecting Libbie to arrive at which fort?
(a) Fort Leavenworth.
(b) Fort Laramie.
(c) Fort Wallace.
(d) Fort Sedgwick.
14. What position is Custer offered in Chapter 14 that pays $10,000 a year?
(a) Position protecting California railway workers.
(b) Position in the War Department in Washington, D.C.
(c) Fort Commander over Fort Kearney.
(d) Position in Mexican Army.
15. Custer wrote to Libbie that the "Indians have a new name for me." What was it?
(b) Loud man.
(c) Yellow Hair.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Medicine Arrow do to give Custer bad luck?
2. Who killed Captain Fetterman?
3. Where did Red Cloud make what the author calls a "splendid" speech?
4. Who is the Miniconjou medicine man who has a strong vision in Chapter 18?
5. In Chapter 17, who is quoted as saying, "We were up against it from the start"?
This section contains 462 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)