|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the most important subject at West Point when Custer attended?
(b) Military strategy.
2. Who said "fighting for fun is rare"?
(a) General Grant.
(b) General Custer.
(c) Colonel Theodore Lyman.
(d) General Horace Porter.
3. Where did Crazy Horse and other warriors go to sing or boast of bravery?
(b) The akicita lodge.
(c) Arrow Creek.
(d) Chief's lodge.
4. Who is George Bent?
(a) Half Shoshoni, son of a soldier.
(b) One of the soldiers at Sand Creek.
(c) Half Cheyenne, son of a trader.
(d) A soldier at Fort Laramie.
5. What old friend did Custer persuade General Pleasonton to give him as as aide?
(a) Lieutenant Yates.
(b) Captain Holmes.
(c) Sargent Sherwood.
(d) Tom Custer.
6. What nickname did Crazy Horse go by as a child?
(b) Crazy Horse.
(c) Little Warrior.
7. Who said, "General Custer is writing lasting letters on the pages of his country's history"?
(a) Secretary of War Stanton.
(b) General Grant.
(c) Speaker of the House Colfax.
(d) President Lincoln.
8. Ohio's population in the 1800s is called a young population by the author. Why?
(a) White Americans had just moved to Ohio.
(b) 55 percent were under twenty years of age.
(c) 73 percent were under thirty years of age.
(d) 62 percent were under twenty-five.
9. In Chapter 10, who writes, "I captured the greatest prize of all"?
(a) Gimlet Lea.
(d) Daniel Bacon.
10. Who did Custer become an aide to in 1863?
(a) General Joseph Hooker.
(b) President Lincoln.
(c) John Pelham.
(d) Brigadier General Alfred Pleasonton.
11. When did Custer enter West Point Military Academy?
(a) June, 1860.
(b) July, 1857.
(c) August, 1859.
(d) September, 1858.
12. How old was Custer when he graduated from the Academy and started his first paying job?
13. In Chapter 7, what wars are cited as wars that Custer taught about?
(a) French and Indian War.
(b) All European wars.
(c) Mexican and Peloponnesian.
(d) French and American Revolutions.
14. Who led the attack on Black Kettle's band of Cheyenne at Sand Creek in 1864?
(a) General Evans.
(b) Colonel Chivington.
(c) Captain Custer.
(d) Colonel Collins.
15. What animal slept with Custer at night in Chapter 11?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who said to give the Indian "a love for exclusive property"?
2. About how much did Crazy Horse weigh at the age of 24?
3. According to a letter Custer wrote to his sister, what percentage of students at West Point failed?
4. What element of the weather do the Plains and the seashore share?
5. Approximately how many men served under Custer at Gettysburg?
This section contains 413 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)