|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Custer enter West Point Military Academy?
(a) September, 1858.
(b) August, 1859.
(c) July, 1857.
(d) June, 1860.
2. When did Custer become a Major General?
(a) July, 1863.
(b) May, 1864.
(c) September, 1864.
(d) January, 1865.
3. In what year was George Armstrong Custer born?
4. In Chapter 7, what was constricting in Custer's life?
5. Who is Washakie?
(a) Headman of the Shoshoni.
(b) Oglala warrior.
(c) Headman of the Crow.
(d) Cheyenne warrior.
6. In Chapter 3, what aspect of Sioux life would Claude Levi-Strauss, a French anthropologist, have called the "science of the concrete"?
(d) Animals as teachers.
7. Whose life was more controlled by time, according to Chapter 7?
(a) Neither man.
(b) Both men.
(c) Crazy Horse.
8. About how much did Crazy Horse weigh at the age of 24?
(a) 180 pounds.
(b) 200 pounds.
(c) 160 pounds.
(d) 140 pounds.
9. What book led to Custer writing an essay titled, "The Red Man" while at West Point?
(a) Swallow Barn.
(b) Leatherstocking Tales.
(c) Last of the Mohicans.
10. During the time period of this book, what trees were common along streams on the Great Plains ?
11. What did Crazy Horse "do for a living" according to Chapter 8?
(c) Make war.
(d) Serve as a chief.
12. What year was George Armstrong Custer born?
13. On the expedition against the whites on the Plains in June 1865, who led the Cheyenne?
(a) Spotted Tail.
(b) Black Wolf.
(c) Roman Nose.
(d) Black Elk.
14. According to the author in Chapter 7, what was the ultimate difference between Crazy Horse and Custer?
(a) Hunting skills.
(b) Their mood.
(c) Religious beliefs.
(d) Ability to ride a horse.
15. In Chapter12, how many times a year might Crazy Horse go on a buffalo hunt?
(a) Two or three.
(b) Five or six.
(d) As many as possible.
Short Answer Questions
1. What position was Custer serving in when he was arrested and court-martial proceedings were started against him?
2. In Chapter 11, who on Custer's household staff took care of the horses?
3. In 1854, who led four Brules in seeking revenge for Conquering Bear's death?
4. How old was Custer when he graduated from the Academy and started his first paying job?
5. According to a letter Custer wrote to his sister, what percentage of students at West Point failed?
This section contains 375 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)