|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What position was Custer serving in when he was arrested and court-martial proceedings were started against him?
(a) Officer of the Day.
(b) First Cadet.
(c) Commandant of the Cadets.
(d) Officer of the Guard.
2. Who said "fighting for fun is rare"?
(a) General Grant.
(b) Colonel Theodore Lyman.
(c) General Horace Porter.
(d) General Custer.
3. What became a distinguishing mark of the 3rd Cavalry Division?
(a) A red tie.
(b) Soft hat.
(c) Five gold loops on each sleeve.
(d) Top boots.
4. In Chapter12, how many times a year might Crazy Horse go on a buffalo hunt?
(a) As many as possible.
(b) Five or six.
(d) Two or three.
5. What was Custer's first nickname at West Point?
6. Who did Custer become an aide to in 1863?
(a) Brigadier General Alfred Pleasonton.
(b) John Pelham.
(c) General Joseph Hooker.
(d) President Lincoln.
7. Who reported buffalo "as far as the eye could reach the country seemed blackened by innumerable herds"?
(a) Captain Benjamin Bonneville.
(b) George Armstrong Custer.
(c) The father of Crazy Horse.
(d) Francis Parkman.
8. Who went along with Crazy Horse on night time raids of the settlers in Chapter 9?
(b) Young Man Afraid.
(c) Little Big Man.
(d) He Dog.
9. In Chapter 10, who writes, "I captured the greatest prize of all"?
(a) Daniel Bacon.
(b) Gimlet Lea.
10. How did Custer spend his teenager years according to Chapter 7?
(a) Playing practical jokes.
(b) Competing against others.
(c) Trying to do something and be somebody.
(d) Going to school.
11. What old friend did Custer persuade General Pleasonton to give him as as aide?
(a) Lieutenant Yates.
(b) Sargent Sherwood.
(c) Tom Custer.
(d) Captain Holmes.
12. In Chapter 11, who on Custer's household staff took care of the horses?
(a) Joseph Fought.
(d) Johnnie Cisco.
13. What could happen to a Union soldier who did not do his duty in combat?
(b) All answers are correct.
(c) Branded with the letter 'C' for coward.
(d) Sentenced to a year of hard labor.
14. What nickname did Crazy Horse go by as a child?
(a) Little Warrior.
(d) Crazy Horse.
15. What color were Custer's eyes?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 10, who says, "it looks like treason" about a document?
2. What medal did Tom Custer receive for his actions at Appomattox?
3. Who was the half-French, half-Iowa interpreter used by the soldiers at Fort Laramie in Chapter 4?
4. According to the author, who has written the definitive biography of George Custer?
5. When did Custer become a Major General?
This section contains 418 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)