|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 3, what aspect of Sioux life would Claude Levi-Strauss, a French anthropologist, have called the "science of the concrete"?
(c) Animals as teachers.
2. What color were Custer's eyes?
3. In Chapter 11, who on Custer's household staff took care of the horses?
(a) Johnnie Cisco.
(d) Joseph Fought.
4. What political party did Custer belong to?
(d) No answers are correct.
5. According to Chapter 9, what white man does Crazy Horse develop a friendship with?
(a) Joseph Smith.
(b) William O. Collins.
(c) Caspar Collins.
(d) Jedidiah Smith.
6. Who went along with Crazy Horse on night time raids of the settlers in Chapter 9?
(a) He Dog.
(b) Young Man Afraid.
(d) Little Big Man.
7. What event occurred on February 9, 1864?
(a) Custer married Libbie.
(b) Custer left for the frontier.
(c) Custer became a general.
(d) Custer's father died.
8. In Chapter 10, who writes, "I captured the greatest prize of all"?
(b) Gimlet Lea.
(c) Daniel Bacon.
9. In Chapter 7, what was constricting in Custer's life?
10. What position was Custer serving in when he was arrested and court-martial proceedings were started against him?
(a) Officer of the Guard.
(b) First Cadet.
(c) Officer of the Day.
(d) Commandant of the Cadets.
11. According to a letter Custer wrote to his sister, what percentage of students at West Point failed?
12. Of the 267 Union soldiers executed during the Civil War, how many were executed for desertion?
13. Who was mortally wounded from Custer's charge against the Confederates at Yellow Tavern?
(a) Jeb Stuart.
(b) Wesley Merritt.
(c) Robert E. Lee.
(d) Phil Sheridan.
14. Ohio's population in the 1800s is called a young population by the author. Why?
(a) White Americans had just moved to Ohio.
(b) 62 percent were under twenty-five.
(c) 73 percent were under thirty years of age.
(d) 55 percent were under twenty years of age.
15. How many Native Americans made up the decoy party after camping on July 24, 1865?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who reported buffalo "as far as the eye could reach the country seemed blackened by innumerable herds"?
2. How did Custer spend his teenager years according to Chapter 7?
3. Who wrote to Custer, "...I had to weep for joy that the recollection was sweet in your memory"?
4. How old was Custer when he graduated from the Academy and started his first paying job?
5. Who says, "Crazy Horse always led his men himself when they went into battle, and he kept well in front of them"?
This section contains 447 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)