|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Crazy Horse "do for a living" according to Chapter 8?
(c) Serve as a chief.
(d) Make war.
2. What old friend did Custer persuade General Pleasonton to give him as as aide?
(a) Captain Holmes.
(b) Lieutenant Yates.
(c) Sargent Sherwood.
(d) Tom Custer.
3. How old was Custer when he graduated from the Academy and started his first paying job?
4. Why did Crazy Horse most likely not get the scalp of his first human kill?
(a) He refused to scalp anyone.
(b) He found out it was a woman.
(c) He was injured.
(d) He did not have a scalping knife.
5. How did Crazy Horse spend his teenage years according to Chapter 7?
(a) Seeking a vision.
(c) Observing white soldiers.
(d) Becoming a warrior.
6. Between Custer and Crazy Horse, who came from a modest background, according to Chapter 12?
(a) Crazy Horse.
(c) Both men.
(d) Neither man.
7. Who did Crazy Horse fall in love with around the time he turned twenty-one years old?
(a) Black Buffalo Woman.
(b) Red Shawl Woman.
(c) Daughter of Old-Man-Afraid-of-his-Horses.
(d) Sitting Bull's niece.
8. In Chapter 7, what was constricting in Custer's life?
9. What political party did Custer belong to?
(a) No answers are correct.
10. What became a distinguishing mark of the 3rd Cavalry Division?
(a) Soft hat.
(b) A red tie.
(c) Five gold loops on each sleeve.
(d) Top boots.
11. What medal did Tom Custer receive for his actions at Appomattox?
(a) Congressional Medal of Honor.
(b) Meritorious Service Award.
(c) Exceptional Service Medal.
(d) Purple Heart.
12. According to Chapter 9, what white man does Crazy Horse develop a friendship with?
(a) Jedidiah Smith.
(b) Caspar Collins.
(c) William O. Collins.
(d) Joseph Smith.
13. Who did Custer meet on Thanksgiving evening in 1862?
(a) Issac Christiancy.
(b) Elizabeth Bacon.
(c) Mary Holland.
(d) Fanny Fifield.
14. At what age did most Sioux boys participate in their first tribal hunt?
(a) Ten or eleven.
(b) Twelve or thirteen.
(c) Fourteen to fifteen.
(d) Sixteen to seventeen.
15. Who wrote to Custer, "...I had to weep for joy that the recollection was sweet in your memory"?
(a) His wife, Libbie.
(b) His first girlfriend, Mary.
(c) His sister, Lydia.
(d) His mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the author, who has written the definitive biography of George Custer?
2. At what ages did Custer and Crazy Horse become recognized leaders?
3. In what year was George Armstrong Custer born?
4. What year was George Armstrong Custer born?
5. Who is Washakie?
This section contains 399 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)