|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much did the leather cap that West Point cadets were required to wear weigh?
(a) Five pounds.
(b) Three pounds.
(c) Six pounds.
(d) One pound.
2. During the time period of this book, what trees were common along streams on the Great Plains ?
3. How did Custer spend his teenager years according to Chapter 7?
(a) Trying to do something and be somebody.
(b) Going to school.
(c) Playing practical jokes.
(d) Competing against others.
4. What are the Lance Owners?
(a) Cheyenne warriors.
(b) A Sioux society.
(c) A tribal nickname.
5. According to Chapter 9, what white man does Crazy Horse develop a friendship with?
(a) Jedidiah Smith.
(b) Joseph Smith.
(c) William O. Collins.
(d) Caspar Collins.
6. What position was Custer serving in when he was arrested and court-martial proceedings were started against him?
(a) Officer of the Day.
(b) First Cadet.
(c) Commandant of the Cadets.
(d) Officer of the Guard.
7. Between Custer and Crazy Horse, who came from a modest background, according to Chapter 12?
(b) Crazy Horse.
(c) Both men.
(d) Neither man.
8. Who are the "loafers" referred to in Chapter 9?
(a) A group of Crow Indians.
(b) The men that Chivington chose at Sand Creek.
(c) Indians who intermarried with white settlers.
(d) Peaceful Indians who lived near and depended upon the fort.
9. How many times during their lives did Crazy Horse and Custer come in contact with each other?
(a) One time.
(b) Four times.
(d) Two times.
10. Who was so pleased with Custer's decision to attend West Point that he gave him $200 for expenses?
(a) His father.
(b) Congressman Bingham.
(c) The parent of one of his students.
(d) The farmer, Mr. Monroe.
11. Why did Crazy Horse most likely not get the scalp of his first human kill?
(a) He found out it was a woman.
(b) He did not have a scalping knife.
(c) He was injured.
(d) He refused to scalp anyone.
12. Who does the author credit with giving Custer his first big break in Chapter 10?
(a) General Smith.
(b) General Lee.
(c) General McClellan.
(d) General Burnside.
13. Who was the half-French, half-Iowa interpreter used by the soldiers at Fort Laramie in Chapter 4?
(c) Conquering Bear.
14. After what skirmish did Custer call the Civil War a "Glorious War"?
(b) Rappahannock River.
15. Who did Custer meet on Thanksgiving evening in 1862?
(a) Mary Holland.
(b) Issac Christiancy.
(c) Elizabeth Bacon.
(d) Fanny Fifield.
Short Answer Questions
1. What element of the weather do the Plains and the seashore share?
2. In 1865, the Oglala resurrected a system of government that acted as a chief's society. The seven men over forty who served were called what?
3. What is Pennsylvania Dutch?
4. According to the author, who has written the definitive biography of George Custer?
5. How did Crazy Horse spend his teenage years according to Chapter 7?
This section contains 484 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)