|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who said to give the Indian "a love for exclusive property"?
(a) President Andrew Jackson.
(b) Vermont lawyer, Thomas Farnham.
(c) Secretary of War, Henry Knox.
(d) Founding father, Samuel Adams.
2. Who did Custer become an aide to in 1863?
(a) Brigadier General Alfred Pleasonton.
(b) General Joseph Hooker.
(c) President Lincoln.
(d) John Pelham.
3. How did Custer spend his teenager years according to Chapter 7?
(a) Going to school.
(b) Playing practical jokes.
(c) Trying to do something and be somebody.
(d) Competing against others.
4. What are the Lance Owners?
(a) Cheyenne warriors.
(c) A tribal nickname.
(d) A Sioux society.
5. Who was so pleased with Custer's decision to attend West Point that he gave him $200 for expenses?
(a) Congressman Bingham.
(b) His father.
(c) The farmer, Mr. Monroe.
(d) The parent of one of his students.
6. Who did Custer meet on Thanksgiving evening in 1862?
(a) Mary Holland.
(b) Elizabeth Bacon.
(c) Fanny Fifield.
(d) Issac Christiancy.
7. What element of the weather do the Plains and the seashore share?
(a) Limited rainfall.
(b) High wind velocity.
(c) Lack of snow.
(d) Warm, muggy temperatures.
8. About how much did Crazy Horse weigh at the age of 24?
(a) 180 pounds.
(b) 160 pounds.
(c) 200 pounds.
(d) 140 pounds.
9. During the time period of this book, what trees were common along streams on the Great Plains ?
10. Who reported buffalo "as far as the eye could reach the country seemed blackened by innumerable herds"?
(a) George Armstrong Custer.
(b) The father of Crazy Horse.
(c) Francis Parkman.
(d) Captain Benjamin Bonneville.
11. Where did Crazy Horse and other warriors go to sing or boast of bravery?
(a) Arrow Creek.
(c) The akicita lodge.
(d) Chief's lodge.
12. Who was the half-French, half-Iowa interpreter used by the soldiers at Fort Laramie in Chapter 4?
(c) Conquering Bear.
13. Who is George Bent?
(a) A soldier at Fort Laramie.
(b) Half Shoshoni, son of a soldier.
(c) Half Cheyenne, son of a trader.
(d) One of the soldiers at Sand Creek.
14. According to Chapter 9, what white man does Crazy Horse develop a friendship with?
(a) Joseph Smith.
(b) Jedidiah Smith.
(c) Caspar Collins.
(d) William O. Collins.
15. What animal slept with Custer at night in Chapter 11?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 8, where are the Shoshonis hunting before the Oglala and Cheyenne raid?
2. What fellow West Point friend did Custer congratulate on his successes in the Confederate artillery?
3. What medal did Tom Custer receive for his actions at Appomattox?
4. What was the most important subject at West Point when Custer attended?
5. In what year was George Armstrong Custer born?
This section contains 421 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)