|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who led the Bad Faces band of Oglalas in Chapter 3?
(a) Red Cloud.
(b) Old Smoke.
(c) Bad Bear.
(d) Crazy Horse, the father.
2. What book led to Custer writing an essay titled, "The Red Man" while at West Point?
(a) Last of the Mohicans.
(b) Leatherstocking Tales.
(c) Swallow Barn.
3. Who said to give the Indian "a love for exclusive property"?
(a) President Andrew Jackson.
(b) Secretary of War, Henry Knox.
(c) Vermont lawyer, Thomas Farnham.
(d) Founding father, Samuel Adams.
4. What political party did Custer belong to?
(a) No answers are correct.
5. When did Custer enter West Point Military Academy?
(a) August, 1859.
(b) July, 1857.
(c) June, 1860.
(d) September, 1858.
6. In 1854, who owned the trading house near Fort Laramie?
(a) Francis Parkman.
(b) Jim Bordeaux.
(c) Henry Hawk.
(d) John Grattan.
7. In Chapter 10, who says, "it looks like treason" about a document?
(a) General Smith.
(b) Fernando Wood.
(c) Captain Custer.
(d) General McClellan.
8. Whose life was more controlled by time, according to Chapter 7?
(b) Crazy Horse.
(c) Both men.
(d) Neither man.
9. In Chapter 2, the author writes that Americans worked so much that work became ____________.
(a) A hobby.
(b) A psychic need.
(c) The reason for living.
(d) A religion.
10. Who said "fighting for fun is rare"?
(a) Colonel Theodore Lyman.
(b) General Custer.
(c) General Grant.
(d) General Horace Porter.
11. According to a letter Custer wrote to his sister, what percentage of students at West Point failed?
12. In Chapter 10, who writes, "I captured the greatest prize of all"?
(a) Daniel Bacon.
(d) Gimlet Lea.
13. Who was mortally wounded from Custer's charge against the Confederates at Yellow Tavern?
(a) Jeb Stuart.
(b) Wesley Merritt.
(c) Phil Sheridan.
(d) Robert E. Lee.
14. Who was the half-French, half-Iowa interpreter used by the soldiers at Fort Laramie in Chapter 4?
(d) Conquering Bear.
15. What medal did Tom Custer receive for his actions at Appomattox?
(a) Congressional Medal of Honor.
(b) Exceptional Service Medal.
(c) Purple Heart.
(d) Meritorious Service Award.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who said, "General Custer is writing lasting letters on the pages of his country's history"?
2. Who went along with Crazy Horse on night time raids of the settlers in Chapter 9?
3. According to the author in Chapter 7, why is Custer's culture more productive than Crazy Horse's?
4. Who did Crazy Horse fall in love with around the time he turned twenty-one years old?
5. Ohio's population in the 1800s is called a young population by the author. Why?
This section contains 439 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)