|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Of the 267 Union soldiers executed during the Civil War, how many were executed for desertion?
2. What was Custer's first nickname at West Point?
3. Whose life was more controlled by time, according to Chapter 7?
(a) Neither man.
(c) Both men.
(d) Crazy Horse.
4. Who did Custer become an aide to in 1863?
(a) President Lincoln.
(b) General Joseph Hooker.
(c) John Pelham.
(d) Brigadier General Alfred Pleasonton.
5. What was the most important subject at West Point when Custer attended?
(d) Military strategy.
6. When did Custer become a Major General?
(a) May, 1864.
(b) January, 1865.
(c) July, 1863.
(d) September, 1864.
7. In Chapter 10, who writes, "I captured the greatest prize of all"?
(b) Daniel Bacon.
(c) Gimlet Lea.
8. Why did Crazy Horse most likely not get the scalp of his first human kill?
(a) He found out it was a woman.
(b) He refused to scalp anyone.
(c) He did not have a scalping knife.
(d) He was injured.
9. How many times during their lives did Crazy Horse and Custer come in contact with each other?
(b) Four times.
(c) Two times.
(d) One time.
10. What is Pennsylvania Dutch?
(a) Dutch immigrants from Germany.
(b) Dutch immigrants from the Rhineland.
(c) German immigrants from the Rhineland.
(d) Dutch immigrants who first settled in Pennsylvania.
11. Who wrote to Custer, "...I had to weep for joy that the recollection was sweet in your memory"?
(a) His wife, Libbie.
(b) His first girlfriend, Mary.
(c) His mother.
(d) His sister, Lydia.
12. In Chapter 8, where are the Shoshonis hunting before the Oglala and Cheyenne raid?
(a) Bighorn River.
(b) Near Fort Laramie.
(c) Sweetwater River.
(d) Captive Butte.
13. What element of the weather do the Plains and the seashore share?
(a) Warm, muggy temperatures.
(b) Lack of snow.
(c) High wind velocity.
(d) Limited rainfall.
14. Who went along with Crazy Horse on night time raids of the settlers in Chapter 9?
(a) Young Man Afraid.
(c) Little Big Man.
(d) He Dog.
15. Who led the attack on Black Kettle's band of Cheyenne at Sand Creek in 1864?
(a) General Evans.
(b) Colonel Chivington.
(c) Captain Custer.
(d) Colonel Collins.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the WPPA?
2. On the expedition against the whites on the Plains in June 1865, who led the Cheyenne?
3. During the time period of this book, what trees were common along streams on the Great Plains ?
4. Who did Crazy Horse fall in love with around the time he turned twenty-one years old?
5. Who reported buffalo "as far as the eye could reach the country seemed blackened by innumerable herds"?
This section contains 441 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)