|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What political party did Custer belong to?
(c) No answers are correct.
2. Who was the half-French, half-Iowa interpreter used by the soldiers at Fort Laramie in Chapter 4?
(a) Conquering Bear.
3. According to the author in Chapter 7, what was the ultimate difference between Crazy Horse and Custer?
(a) Ability to ride a horse.
(b) Religious beliefs.
(c) Their mood.
(d) Hunting skills.
4. What fellow West Point friend did Custer congratulate on his successes in the Confederate artillery?
(a) John Pelham.
(b) Austin Blair.
(c) George Yates.
(d) Gimlet Lea.
5. Who are the "loafers" referred to in Chapter 9?
(a) A group of Crow Indians.
(b) The men that Chivington chose at Sand Creek.
(c) Peaceful Indians who lived near and depended upon the fort.
(d) Indians who intermarried with white settlers.
6. Who said, "General Custer is writing lasting letters on the pages of his country's history"?
(a) Secretary of War Stanton.
(b) President Lincoln.
(c) Speaker of the House Colfax.
(d) General Grant.
7. Why did Crazy Horse most likely not get the scalp of his first human kill?
(a) He was injured.
(b) He did not have a scalping knife.
(c) He refused to scalp anyone.
(d) He found out it was a woman.
8. What was the estimated number of buffalo on the Great Plains in the nineteenth century?
(b) 75 million.
(c) 25 million.
(d) 2.5 million.
9. What animal slept with Custer at night in Chapter 11?
10. What was the last major tribe pushed onto the Plains by military defeats with other tribes?
11. How old was Custer when he graduated from the Academy and started his first paying job?
12. Who is George Bent?
(a) Half Cheyenne, son of a trader.
(b) Half Shoshoni, son of a soldier.
(c) A soldier at Fort Laramie.
(d) One of the soldiers at Sand Creek.
13. When did Custer become a Major General?
(a) May, 1864.
(b) September, 1864.
(c) July, 1863.
(d) January, 1865.
14. What was Custer's nickname as a boy?
15. How many times during their lives did Crazy Horse and Custer come in contact with each other?
(a) Four times.
(b) Two times.
(d) One time.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Custer enter West Point Military Academy?
2. What old friend did Custer persuade General Pleasonton to give him as as aide?
3. In what year was George Armstrong Custer born?
4. What was Custer's first nickname at West Point?
5. Who went along with Crazy Horse on night time raids of the settlers in Chapter 9?
This section contains 409 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)