|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Of the 267 Union soldiers executed during the Civil War, how many were executed for desertion?
2. In Chapter 7, what wars are cited as wars that Custer taught about?
(a) French and Indian War.
(b) All European wars.
(c) French and American Revolutions.
(d) Mexican and Peloponnesian.
3. In Chapter 7, what was constricting in Custer's life?
4. Who says, "Crazy Horse always led his men himself when they went into battle, and he kept well in front of them"?
(b) Eleanor Hinman.
(c) He Dog.
(d) Bad Heart Bull.
5. What element of the weather do the Plains and the seashore share?
(a) Warm, muggy temperatures.
(b) Lack of snow.
(c) High wind velocity.
(d) Limited rainfall.
6. How many Native Americans made up the decoy party after camping on July 24, 1865?
7. In Chapter 10, who says, "it looks like treason" about a document?
(a) General McClellan.
(b) Captain Custer.
(c) Fernando Wood.
(d) General Smith.
8. In what year was George Armstrong Custer born?
9. Who does the author credit with giving Custer his first big break in Chapter 10?
(a) General Burnside.
(b) General Smith.
(c) General Lee.
(d) General McClellan.
10. How many Sioux were estimated to be at the great council at Bear Butte in Chapter 4?
(a) 5000 to 7500.
(b) Less than a thousand.
(c) 3000 to 4500.
(d) 1000 to 2500.
11. Who led the Bad Faces band of Oglalas in Chapter 3?
(a) Bad Bear.
(b) Old Smoke.
(c) Crazy Horse, the father.
(d) Red Cloud.
12. In Chapter 3, what aspect of Sioux life would Claude Levi-Strauss, a French anthropologist, have called the "science of the concrete"?
(d) Animals as teachers.
13. In Chapter 2, the author writes that Americans worked so much that work became ____________.
(a) A psychic need.
(b) A hobby.
(c) The reason for living.
(d) A religion.
14. In Chapter 8, where are the Shoshonis hunting before the Oglala and Cheyenne raid?
(a) Captive Butte.
(b) Sweetwater River.
(c) Bighorn River.
(d) Near Fort Laramie.
15. What old friend did Custer persuade General Pleasonton to give him as as aide?
(a) Captain Holmes.
(b) Lieutenant Yates.
(c) Sargent Sherwood.
(d) Tom Custer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Custer's first nickname at West Point?
2. What book led to Custer writing an essay titled, "The Red Man" while at West Point?
3. Who wrote to Custer, "...I had to weep for joy that the recollection was sweet in your memory"?
4. What year was George Armstrong Custer born?
5. How did Custer spend his teenager years according to Chapter 7?
This section contains 413 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)