|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who said "fighting for fun is rare"?
(a) General Grant.
(b) General Horace Porter.
(c) Colonel Theodore Lyman.
(d) General Custer.
2. Where did Crazy Horse and other warriors go to sing or boast of bravery?
(a) Arrow Creek.
(b) The akicita lodge.
(d) Chief's lodge.
3. What did the Oglalas call the road that the settlers knew as "The Oregon Trail"?
(a) The Solder's Trail.
(b) Laramie Trail.
(c) The White Man's Road.
(d) The Holy Road.
4. Whose life was more controlled by time, according to Chapter 7?
(b) Neither man.
(c) Crazy Horse.
(d) Both men.
5. The Black Hills were known to the Sioux as a holy place called ______________.
(c) Pa Sapa.
(d) Bear Butte.
6. How much did the leather cap that West Point cadets were required to wear weigh?
(a) Three pounds.
(b) Five pounds.
(c) Six pounds.
(d) One pound.
7. In Chapter 3, what aspect of Sioux life would Claude Levi-Strauss, a French anthropologist, have called the "science of the concrete"?
(c) Animals as teachers.
8. At what ages did Custer and Crazy Horse become recognized leaders?
(a) 22 and 23.
(b) 29 and 30.
(c) 24 and 25.
(d) 23 and 24.
9. Who does the author credit with giving Custer his first big break in Chapter 10?
(a) General McClellan.
(b) General Smith.
(c) General Burnside.
(d) General Lee.
10. What was the most important subject at West Point when Custer attended?
(d) Military strategy.
11. What became a distinguishing mark of the 3rd Cavalry Division?
(a) Five gold loops on each sleeve.
(b) A red tie.
(c) Soft hat.
(d) Top boots.
12. What did Crazy Horse "do for a living" according to Chapter 8?
(a) Serve as a chief.
(d) Make war.
13. Who led the attack on Black Kettle's band of Cheyenne at Sand Creek in 1864?
(a) Captain Custer.
(b) Colonel Collins.
(c) General Evans.
(d) Colonel Chivington.
14. Who are the "loafers" referred to in Chapter 9?
(a) Peaceful Indians who lived near and depended upon the fort.
(b) The men that Chivington chose at Sand Creek.
(c) A group of Crow Indians.
(d) Indians who intermarried with white settlers.
15. When did Custer become a Major General?
(a) May, 1864.
(b) September, 1864.
(c) January, 1865.
(d) July, 1863.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter12, how many times a year might Crazy Horse go on a buffalo hunt?
2. Who did Custer become an aide to in 1863?
3. What was the last major tribe pushed onto the Plains by military defeats with other tribes?
4. Who went along with Crazy Horse on night time raids of the settlers in Chapter 9?
5. Who reported buffalo "as far as the eye could reach the country seemed blackened by innumerable herds"?
This section contains 436 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)