|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the author in Chapter 7, why is Custer's culture more productive than Crazy Horse's?
(a) Greater technology.
(b) Larger population.
(c) More assets.
(d) It is more disciplined.
2. What old friend did Custer persuade General Pleasonton to give him as as aide?
(a) Lieutenant Yates.
(b) Captain Holmes.
(c) Sargent Sherwood.
(d) Tom Custer.
3. What position was Custer serving in when he was arrested and court-martial proceedings were started against him?
(a) Commandant of the Cadets.
(b) Officer of the Guard.
(c) Officer of the Day.
(d) First Cadet.
4. What are the Lance Owners?
(b) A tribal nickname.
(c) A Sioux society.
(d) Cheyenne warriors.
5. In Chapter 11, who on Custer's household staff took care of the horses?
(c) Johnnie Cisco.
(d) Joseph Fought.
6. What nickname did Crazy Horse go by as a child?
(b) Little Warrior.
(d) Crazy Horse.
7. What event occurred on February 9, 1864?
(a) Custer became a general.
(b) Custer's father died.
(c) Custer married Libbie.
(d) Custer left for the frontier.
8. According to Chapter 9, what white man does Crazy Horse develop a friendship with?
(a) William O. Collins.
(b) Caspar Collins.
(c) Jedidiah Smith.
(d) Joseph Smith.
9. In Chapter 3, what aspect of Sioux life would Claude Levi-Strauss, a French anthropologist, have called the "science of the concrete"?
(b) Animals as teachers.
10. Why did Crazy Horse most likely not get the scalp of his first human kill?
(a) He did not have a scalping knife.
(b) He found out it was a woman.
(c) He refused to scalp anyone.
(d) He was injured.
11. What political party did Custer belong to?
(a) No answers are correct.
12. When did Custer become a Major General?
(a) July, 1863.
(b) May, 1864.
(c) September, 1864.
(d) January, 1865.
13. According to Chapter 7, who of the book's subjects had seen combat by this time?
(a) Neither Crazy Horse nor Custer.
(c) Both Crazy Horse and Custer.
(d) Crazy Horse.
14. The Black Hills were known to the Sioux as a holy place called ______________.
(b) Pa Sapa.
(d) Bear Butte.
15. Who is George Bent?
(a) A soldier at Fort Laramie.
(b) Half Cheyenne, son of a trader.
(c) Half Shoshoni, son of a soldier.
(d) One of the soldiers at Sand Creek.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the author, who has written the definitive biography of George Custer?
2. Who did Crazy Horse fall in love with around the time he turned twenty-one years old?
3. Whose life was more controlled by time, according to Chapter 7?
4. What book led to Custer writing an essay titled, "The Red Man" while at West Point?
5. How many Sioux were estimated to be at the great council at Bear Butte in Chapter 4?
This section contains 444 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)