|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What became a distinguishing mark of the 3rd Cavalry Division?
(a) Soft hat.
(b) Five gold loops on each sleeve.
(c) Top boots.
(d) A red tie.
2. What animal slept with Custer at night in Chapter 11?
3. According to the author in Chapter 7, what was the ultimate difference between Crazy Horse and Custer?
(a) Their mood.
(b) Ability to ride a horse.
(c) Religious beliefs.
(d) Hunting skills.
4. When did Custer enter West Point Military Academy?
(a) September, 1858.
(b) August, 1859.
(c) June, 1860.
(d) July, 1857.
5. After what skirmish did Custer call the Civil War a "Glorious War"?
(a) Rappahannock River.
6. According to the author, who has written the definitive biography of George Custer?
(a) George Bent.
(b) Jay Monaghan.
(c) Carol Gluck.
(d) Ken Burns.
7. Who reported buffalo "as far as the eye could reach the country seemed blackened by innumerable herds"?
(a) George Armstrong Custer.
(b) The father of Crazy Horse.
(c) Francis Parkman.
(d) Captain Benjamin Bonneville.
8. Who said to give the Indian "a love for exclusive property"?
(a) Secretary of War, Henry Knox.
(b) President Andrew Jackson.
(c) Vermont lawyer, Thomas Farnham.
(d) Founding father, Samuel Adams.
9. Where did "Custer get a decent return on the investment of his men's lives"?
(b) Malvern Hill.
(d) Wilderness campaign.
10. Who was mortally wounded from Custer's charge against the Confederates at Yellow Tavern?
(a) Wesley Merritt.
(b) Phil Sheridan.
(c) Robert E. Lee.
(d) Jeb Stuart.
11. Who did Custer become an aide to in 1863?
(a) President Lincoln.
(b) Brigadier General Alfred Pleasonton.
(c) John Pelham.
(d) General Joseph Hooker.
12. How many Sioux were estimated to be at the great council at Bear Butte in Chapter 4?
(a) Less than a thousand.
(b) 5000 to 7500.
(c) 3000 to 4500.
(d) 1000 to 2500.
13. Who was the half-French, half-Iowa interpreter used by the soldiers at Fort Laramie in Chapter 4?
(a) Conquering Bear.
14. In Chapter 11, who on Custer's household staff took care of the horses?
(b) Johnnie Cisco.
(d) Joseph Fought.
15. Of the 267 Union soldiers executed during the Civil War, how many were executed for desertion?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Crazy Horse "do for a living" according to Chapter 8?
2. Who does the author credit with giving Custer his first big break in Chapter 10?
3. According to the author in Chapter 7, why is Custer's culture more productive than Crazy Horse's?
4. What did the Oglalas call the road that the settlers knew as "The Oregon Trail"?
5. On the expedition against the whites on the Plains in June 1865, who led the Cheyenne?
This section contains 427 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)