|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year was George Armstrong Custer born?
2. Approximately how many men served under Custer at Gettysburg?
3. What nickname did Crazy Horse go by as a child?
(a) Little Warrior.
(d) Crazy Horse.
4. Who was so pleased with Custer's decision to attend West Point that he gave him $200 for expenses?
(a) Congressman Bingham.
(b) His father.
(c) The parent of one of his students.
(d) The farmer, Mr. Monroe.
5. According to Chapter 9, what white man does Crazy Horse develop a friendship with?
(a) William O. Collins.
(b) Jedidiah Smith.
(c) Joseph Smith.
(d) Caspar Collins.
6. Who is Washakie?
(a) Oglala warrior.
(b) Cheyenne warrior.
(c) Headman of the Shoshoni.
(d) Headman of the Crow.
7. Where did Crazy Horse and other warriors go to sing or boast of bravery?
(b) Arrow Creek.
(c) The akicita lodge.
(d) Chief's lodge.
8. Who was mortally wounded from Custer's charge against the Confederates at Yellow Tavern?
(a) Jeb Stuart.
(b) Wesley Merritt.
(c) Phil Sheridan.
(d) Robert E. Lee.
9. Who are the "loafers" referred to in Chapter 9?
(a) A group of Crow Indians.
(b) Peaceful Indians who lived near and depended upon the fort.
(c) The men that Chivington chose at Sand Creek.
(d) Indians who intermarried with white settlers.
10. In Chapter 10, who writes, "I captured the greatest prize of all"?
(b) Gimlet Lea.
(d) Daniel Bacon.
11. Ohio's population in the 1800s is called a young population by the author. Why?
(a) 55 percent were under twenty years of age.
(b) 62 percent were under twenty-five.
(c) 73 percent were under thirty years of age.
(d) White Americans had just moved to Ohio.
12. What position was Custer serving in when he was arrested and court-martial proceedings were started against him?
(a) First Cadet.
(b) Officer of the Day.
(c) Officer of the Guard.
(d) Commandant of the Cadets.
13. What animal slept with Custer at night in Chapter 11?
14. Why did Crazy Horse most likely not get the scalp of his first human kill?
(a) He did not have a scalping knife.
(b) He refused to scalp anyone.
(c) He found out it was a woman.
(d) He was injured.
15. At what ages did Custer and Crazy Horse become recognized leaders?
(a) 23 and 24.
(b) 24 and 25.
(c) 22 and 23.
(d) 29 and 30.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Crazy Horse spend his teenage years according to Chapter 7?
2. What fellow West Point friend did Custer congratulate on his successes in the Confederate artillery?
3. What more than tripled in Ohio from 1828 to 1850?
4. Who said "fighting for fun is rare"?
5. In Chapter12, how many times a year might Crazy Horse go on a buffalo hunt?
This section contains 436 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)