|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the author in Chapter 7, why is Custer's culture more productive than Crazy Horse's?
(a) It is more disciplined.
(b) Greater technology.
(c) Larger population.
(d) More assets.
2. In 1865, the Oglala resurrected a system of government that acted as a chief's society. The seven men over forty who served were called what?
(a) Akicita society.
(b) Chief council.
(d) Big Bellies.
3. What book led to Custer writing an essay titled, "The Red Man" while at West Point?
(b) Swallow Barn.
(c) Leatherstocking Tales.
(d) Last of the Mohicans.
4. At what age did most Sioux boys participate in their first tribal hunt?
(a) Sixteen to seventeen.
(b) Ten or eleven.
(c) Fourteen to fifteen.
(d) Twelve or thirteen.
5. In Chapter 10, who writes, "I captured the greatest prize of all"?
(c) Gimlet Lea.
(d) Daniel Bacon.
6. How old was Custer when he graduated from the Academy and started his first paying job?
7. What became a distinguishing mark of the 3rd Cavalry Division?
(a) A red tie.
(b) Five gold loops on each sleeve.
(c) Top boots.
(d) Soft hat.
8. Who does the author credit with giving Custer his first big break in Chapter 10?
(a) General McClellan.
(b) General Smith.
(c) General Lee.
(d) General Burnside.
9. How many times during their lives did Crazy Horse and Custer come in contact with each other?
(a) One time.
(b) Four times.
(c) Two times.
10. How many Sioux were estimated to be at the great council at Bear Butte in Chapter 4?
(a) 5000 to 7500.
(b) Less than a thousand.
(c) 3000 to 4500.
(d) 1000 to 2500.
11. Who reported buffalo "as far as the eye could reach the country seemed blackened by innumerable herds"?
(a) Francis Parkman.
(b) The father of Crazy Horse.
(c) George Armstrong Custer.
(d) Captain Benjamin Bonneville.
12. What position was Custer serving in when he was arrested and court-martial proceedings were started against him?
(a) Officer of the Day.
(b) First Cadet.
(c) Commandant of the Cadets.
(d) Officer of the Guard.
13. What was the last major tribe pushed onto the Plains by military defeats with other tribes?
14. Who is Washakie?
(a) Headman of the Shoshoni.
(b) Cheyenne warrior.
(c) Headman of the Crow.
(d) Oglala warrior.
15. Who are the "loafers" referred to in Chapter 9?
(a) A group of Crow Indians.
(b) The men that Chivington chose at Sand Creek.
(c) Peaceful Indians who lived near and depended upon the fort.
(d) Indians who intermarried with white settlers.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who went along with Crazy Horse on night time raids of the settlers in Chapter 9?
2. Whose life was more controlled by time, according to Chapter 7?
3. What was the estimated number of buffalo on the Great Plains in the nineteenth century?
4. According to a letter Custer wrote to his sister, what percentage of students at West Point failed?
5. Who did Custer meet on Thanksgiving evening in 1862?
This section contains 464 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)