|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Black Hills were known to the Sioux as a holy place called ______________.
(b) Bear Butte.
(d) Pa Sapa.
2. During the time period of this book, what trees were common along streams on the Great Plains ?
3. What is Pennsylvania Dutch?
(a) Dutch immigrants who first settled in Pennsylvania.
(b) Dutch immigrants from the Rhineland.
(c) German immigrants from the Rhineland.
(d) Dutch immigrants from Germany.
4. Who was mortally wounded from Custer's charge against the Confederates at Yellow Tavern?
(a) Robert E. Lee.
(b) Wesley Merritt.
(c) Phil Sheridan.
(d) Jeb Stuart.
5. Between Custer and Crazy Horse, who came from a modest background, according to Chapter 12?
(a) Crazy Horse.
(b) Both men.
(c) Neither man.
6. Who is Washakie?
(a) Cheyenne warrior.
(b) Oglala warrior.
(c) Headman of the Shoshoni.
(d) Headman of the Crow.
7. Approximately how many men served under Custer at Gettysburg?
8. What nickname did Crazy Horse go by as a child?
(c) Little Warrior.
(d) Crazy Horse.
9. Who does the author credit with giving Custer his first big break in Chapter 10?
(a) General Burnside.
(b) General Smith.
(c) General McClellan.
(d) General Lee.
10. Who did Custer meet on Thanksgiving evening in 1862?
(a) Mary Holland.
(b) Fanny Fifield.
(c) Issac Christiancy.
(d) Elizabeth Bacon.
11. According to Chapter 7, who of the book's subjects had seen combat by this time?
(b) Both Crazy Horse and Custer.
(c) Crazy Horse.
(d) Neither Crazy Horse nor Custer.
12. According to Chapter 4, what was central to life for a Sioux male?
(a) Being a warrior.
(c) Making the first kill.
(d) Vision quest.
13. In Chapter 8, where are the Shoshonis hunting before the Oglala and Cheyenne raid?
(a) Captive Butte.
(b) Near Fort Laramie.
(c) Sweetwater River.
(d) Bighorn River.
14. What are the Lance Owners?
(b) Cheyenne warriors.
(c) A Sioux society.
(d) A tribal nickname.
15. When did Custer become a Major General?
(a) September, 1864.
(b) January, 1865.
(c) July, 1863.
(d) May, 1864.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much did the leather cap that West Point cadets were required to wear weigh?
2. Why did Crazy Horse most likely not get the scalp of his first human kill?
3. According to the author in Chapter 7, what was the ultimate difference between Crazy Horse and Custer?
4. Whose life was more controlled by time, according to Chapter 7?
5. In Chapter 11, who on Custer's household staff took care of the horses?
This section contains 404 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)