|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is George Bent?
(a) A soldier at Fort Laramie.
(b) Half Shoshoni, son of a soldier.
(c) One of the soldiers at Sand Creek.
(d) Half Cheyenne, son of a trader.
2. What could happen to a Union soldier who did not do his duty in combat?
(a) All answers are correct.
(b) Sentenced to a year of hard labor.
(d) Branded with the letter 'C' for coward.
3. What was the estimated number of buffalo on the Great Plains in the nineteenth century?
(b) 75 million.
(c) 2.5 million.
(d) 25 million.
4. What did the Oglalas call the road that the settlers knew as "The Oregon Trail"?
(a) The Solder's Trail.
(b) Laramie Trail.
(c) The White Man's Road.
(d) The Holy Road.
5. Who did Custer meet on Thanksgiving evening in 1862?
(a) Mary Holland.
(b) Fanny Fifield.
(c) Issac Christiancy.
(d) Elizabeth Bacon.
6. In Chapter 7, what wars are cited as wars that Custer taught about?
(a) French and American Revolutions.
(b) Mexican and Peloponnesian.
(c) All European wars.
(d) French and Indian War.
7. What became a distinguishing mark of the 3rd Cavalry Division?
(a) A red tie.
(b) Soft hat.
(c) Top boots.
(d) Five gold loops on each sleeve.
8. In Chapter 3, what aspect of Sioux life would Claude Levi-Strauss, a French anthropologist, have called the "science of the concrete"?
(b) Animals as teachers.
9. How old was Custer when he graduated from the Academy and started his first paying job?
10. What was Custer's nickname as a boy?
11. According to Chapter 7, who of the book's subjects had seen combat by this time?
(a) Both Crazy Horse and Custer.
(c) Crazy Horse.
(d) Neither Crazy Horse nor Custer.
12. How many Sioux were estimated to be at the great council at Bear Butte in Chapter 4?
(a) 5000 to 7500.
(b) 3000 to 4500.
(c) 1000 to 2500.
(d) Less than a thousand.
13. In Chapter 7, what was constricting in Custer's life?
14. Of the 267 Union soldiers executed during the Civil War, how many were executed for desertion?
15. Who was the half-French, half-Iowa interpreter used by the soldiers at Fort Laramie in Chapter 4?
(a) Conquering Bear.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the Lance Owners?
2. What nickname did Crazy Horse go by as a child?
3. Who said to give the Indian "a love for exclusive property"?
4. In 1865, the Oglala resurrected a system of government that acted as a chief's society. The seven men over forty who served were called what?
5. What did Crazy Horse "do for a living" according to Chapter 8?
This section contains 437 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)