|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much did the leather cap that West Point cadets were required to wear weigh?
(a) One pound.
(b) Five pounds.
(c) Three pounds.
(d) Six pounds.
2. In 1865, the Oglala resurrected a system of government that acted as a chief's society. The seven men over forty who served were called what?
(b) Chief council.
(c) Akicita society.
(d) Big Bellies.
3. In Chapter 8, where are the Shoshonis hunting before the Oglala and Cheyenne raid?
(a) Sweetwater River.
(b) Bighorn River.
(c) Captive Butte.
(d) Near Fort Laramie.
4. Who led the attack on Black Kettle's band of Cheyenne at Sand Creek in 1864?
(a) Captain Custer.
(b) Colonel Collins.
(c) Colonel Chivington.
(d) General Evans.
5. In what year was George Armstrong Custer born?
6. What became a distinguishing mark of the 3rd Cavalry Division?
(a) Soft hat.
(b) A red tie.
(c) Top boots.
(d) Five gold loops on each sleeve.
7. What more than tripled in Ohio from 1828 to 1850?
(d) Newspapers and periodicals.
8. Ohio's population in the 1800s is called a young population by the author. Why?
(a) White Americans had just moved to Ohio.
(b) 62 percent were under twenty-five.
(c) 73 percent were under thirty years of age.
(d) 55 percent were under twenty years of age.
9. The Black Hills were known to the Sioux as a holy place called ______________.
(a) Bear Butte.
(d) Pa Sapa.
10. What medal did Tom Custer receive for his actions at Appomattox?
(a) Purple Heart.
(b) Meritorious Service Award.
(c) Congressional Medal of Honor.
(d) Exceptional Service Medal.
11. At age ten, Custer went to live with his half-sister and her new husband who lived in __________.
(a) Yorktown, Indiana.
(b) Columbus, Ohio.
(c) Boston, Massachusettes.
(d) Monroe, Michigan.
12. What was the most important subject at West Point when Custer attended?
(b) Military strategy.
13. What was the last major tribe pushed onto the Plains by military defeats with other tribes?
14. Who was the half-French, half-Iowa interpreter used by the soldiers at Fort Laramie in Chapter 4?
(b) Conquering Bear.
15. Who is Washakie?
(a) Headman of the Shoshoni.
(b) Cheyenne warrior.
(c) Headman of the Crow.
(d) Oglala warrior.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Crazy Horse most likely not get the scalp of his first human kill?
2. Who said to give the Indian "a love for exclusive property"?
3. On the expedition against the whites on the Plains in June 1865, who led the Cheyenne?
4. Between Custer and Crazy Horse, who came from a modest background, according to Chapter 12?
5. Who was so pleased with Custer's decision to attend West Point that he gave him $200 for expenses?
This section contains 461 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)