|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Of the 267 Union soldiers executed during the Civil War, how many were executed for desertion?
2. In Chapter 2, the author writes that Americans worked so much that work became ____________.
(a) A psychic need.
(b) The reason for living.
(c) A religion.
(d) A hobby.
3. In Chapter 7, what was constricting in Custer's life?
4. What was the last major tribe pushed onto the Plains by military defeats with other tribes?
5. About how much did Crazy Horse weigh at the age of 24?
(a) 140 pounds.
(b) 160 pounds.
(c) 180 pounds.
(d) 200 pounds.
6. How did Custer spend his teenager years according to Chapter 7?
(a) Trying to do something and be somebody.
(b) Playing practical jokes.
(c) Competing against others.
(d) Going to school.
7. At what ages did Custer and Crazy Horse become recognized leaders?
(a) 24 and 25.
(b) 23 and 24.
(c) 29 and 30.
(d) 22 and 23.
8. What could happen to a Union soldier who did not do his duty in combat?
(a) Sentenced to a year of hard labor.
(b) All answers are correct.
(c) Branded with the letter 'C' for coward.
9. What year was George Armstrong Custer born?
10. What did the Oglalas call the road that the settlers knew as "The Oregon Trail"?
(a) The Holy Road.
(b) Laramie Trail.
(c) The Solder's Trail.
(d) The White Man's Road.
11. In Chapter12, how many times a year might Crazy Horse go on a buffalo hunt?
(a) Five or six.
(c) Two or three.
(d) As many as possible.
12. Who is George Bent?
(a) A soldier at Fort Laramie.
(b) Half Cheyenne, son of a trader.
(c) Half Shoshoni, son of a soldier.
(d) One of the soldiers at Sand Creek.
13. What nickname did Crazy Horse go by as a child?
(a) Little Warrior.
(b) Crazy Horse.
14. What fellow West Point friend did Custer congratulate on his successes in the Confederate artillery?
(a) Austin Blair.
(b) Gimlet Lea.
(c) John Pelham.
(d) George Yates.
15. What was Custer's first nickname at West Point?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 11, who on Custer's household staff took care of the horses?
2. In 1865, the Oglala resurrected a system of government that acted as a chief's society. The seven men over forty who served were called what?
3. How many Sioux were estimated to be at the great council at Bear Butte in Chapter 4?
4. When did Custer become a Major General?
5. According to the author in Chapter 7, what was the ultimate difference between Crazy Horse and Custer?
This section contains 414 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)