|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the WPPA?
(a) West Point Protective Association.
(b) West Point Protocol Association.
(c) West Point Provincial Academy.
(d) West Point Protestant Academy.
2. Who was mortally wounded from Custer's charge against the Confederates at Yellow Tavern?
(a) Robert E. Lee.
(b) Jeb Stuart.
(c) Wesley Merritt.
(d) Phil Sheridan.
3. About how much did Crazy Horse weigh at the age of 24?
(a) 180 pounds.
(b) 200 pounds.
(c) 140 pounds.
(d) 160 pounds.
4. What was Custer's nickname as a boy?
5. What did the Oglalas call the road that the settlers knew as "The Oregon Trail"?
(a) The White Man's Road.
(b) The Holy Road.
(c) The Solder's Trail.
(d) Laramie Trail.
6. Who did Custer meet on Thanksgiving evening in 1862?
(a) Elizabeth Bacon.
(b) Issac Christiancy.
(c) Fanny Fifield.
(d) Mary Holland.
7. During the time period of this book, what trees were common along streams on the Great Plains ?
8. Ohio's population in the 1800s is called a young population by the author. Why?
(a) 62 percent were under twenty-five.
(b) White Americans had just moved to Ohio.
(c) 55 percent were under twenty years of age.
(d) 73 percent were under thirty years of age.
9. How much did the leather cap that West Point cadets were required to wear weigh?
(a) Five pounds.
(b) Three pounds.
(c) Six pounds.
(d) One pound.
10. The Black Hills were known to the Sioux as a holy place called ______________.
(a) Bear Butte.
(b) Pa Sapa.
11. When did Custer enter West Point Military Academy?
(a) August, 1859.
(b) June, 1860.
(c) September, 1858.
(d) July, 1857.
12. In Chapter 3, what aspect of Sioux life would Claude Levi-Strauss, a French anthropologist, have called the "science of the concrete"?
(a) Animals as teachers.
13. How old was Custer when he graduated from the Academy and started his first paying job?
14. What position was Custer serving in when he was arrested and court-martial proceedings were started against him?
(a) Officer of the Day.
(b) Officer of the Guard.
(c) Commandant of the Cadets.
(d) First Cadet.
15. Approximately how many men served under Custer at Gettysburg?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the author in Chapter 7, what was the ultimate difference between Crazy Horse and Custer?
2. Between Custer and Crazy Horse, who came from a modest background, according to Chapter 12?
3. What was the most important subject at West Point when Custer attended?
4. Where did "Custer get a decent return on the investment of his men's lives"?
5. According to Chapter 4, what was central to life for a Sioux male?
This section contains 418 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)