|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the author in Chapter 7, why is Custer's culture more productive than Crazy Horse's?
(a) More assets.
(b) Larger population.
(c) It is more disciplined.
(d) Greater technology.
2. When did Custer enter West Point Military Academy?
(a) September, 1858.
(b) August, 1859.
(c) July, 1857.
(d) June, 1860.
3. How old was Custer when he graduated from the Academy and started his first paying job?
4. At what age did most Sioux boys participate in their first tribal hunt?
(a) Ten or eleven.
(b) Twelve or thirteen.
(c) Fourteen to fifteen.
(d) Sixteen to seventeen.
5. Who is George Bent?
(a) A soldier at Fort Laramie.
(b) Half Cheyenne, son of a trader.
(c) Half Shoshoni, son of a soldier.
(d) One of the soldiers at Sand Creek.
6. What is Pennsylvania Dutch?
(a) Dutch immigrants from the Rhineland.
(b) Dutch immigrants from Germany.
(c) German immigrants from the Rhineland.
(d) Dutch immigrants who first settled in Pennsylvania.
7. What position was Custer serving in when he was arrested and court-martial proceedings were started against him?
(a) Commandant of the Cadets.
(b) Officer of the Day.
(c) First Cadet.
(d) Officer of the Guard.
8. In 1854, who owned the trading house near Fort Laramie?
(a) Jim Bordeaux.
(b) John Grattan.
(c) Francis Parkman.
(d) Henry Hawk.
9. What was Custer's nickname as a boy?
10. In Chapter 2, the author writes that Americans worked so much that work became ____________.
(a) The reason for living.
(b) A psychic need.
(c) A hobby.
(d) A religion.
11. Who said, "General Custer is writing lasting letters on the pages of his country's history"?
(a) President Lincoln.
(b) Secretary of War Stanton.
(c) General Grant.
(d) Speaker of the House Colfax.
12. In Chapter 7, what wars are cited as wars that Custer taught about?
(a) French and American Revolutions.
(b) French and Indian War.
(c) Mexican and Peloponnesian.
(d) All European wars.
13. In Chapter 10, who writes, "I captured the greatest prize of all"?
(a) Gimlet Lea.
(b) Daniel Bacon.
14. On the expedition against the whites on the Plains in June 1865, who led the Cheyenne?
(a) Roman Nose.
(b) Spotted Tail.
(c) Black Elk.
(d) Black Wolf.
15. In 1854, who led four Brules in seeking revenge for Conquering Bear's death?
(a) Brave Bear.
(b) Spotted Tail.
(c) Crazy Horse.
(d) Old Man Afraid.
Short Answer Questions
1. What event occurred on February 9, 1864?
2. Who did Custer meet on Thanksgiving evening in 1862?
3. Where did "Custer get a decent return on the investment of his men's lives"?
4. What did Crazy Horse "do for a living" according to Chapter 8?
5. Who led the attack on Black Kettle's band of Cheyenne at Sand Creek in 1864?
This section contains 430 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)