|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was the half-French, half-Iowa interpreter used by the soldiers at Fort Laramie in Chapter 4?
(b) Conquering Bear.
2. According to Chapter 7, who of the book's subjects had seen combat by this time?
(a) Crazy Horse.
(b) Neither Crazy Horse nor Custer.
(c) Both Crazy Horse and Custer.
3. In Chapter 7, what was constricting in Custer's life?
4. Who said, "General Custer is writing lasting letters on the pages of his country's history"?
(a) President Lincoln.
(b) General Grant.
(c) Secretary of War Stanton.
(d) Speaker of the House Colfax.
5. Of the 267 Union soldiers executed during the Civil War, how many were executed for desertion?
6. At age ten, Custer went to live with his half-sister and her new husband who lived in __________.
(a) Monroe, Michigan.
(b) Columbus, Ohio.
(c) Boston, Massachusettes.
(d) Yorktown, Indiana.
7. Who led the Bad Faces band of Oglalas in Chapter 3?
(a) Crazy Horse, the father.
(b) Bad Bear.
(c) Old Smoke.
(d) Red Cloud.
8. In Chapter12, how many times a year might Crazy Horse go on a buffalo hunt?
(b) Five or six.
(c) Two or three.
(d) As many as possible.
9. In Chapter 8, where are the Shoshonis hunting before the Oglala and Cheyenne raid?
(a) Sweetwater River.
(b) Bighorn River.
(c) Near Fort Laramie.
(d) Captive Butte.
10. After what skirmish did Custer call the Civil War a "Glorious War"?
(a) Rappahannock River.
11. What fellow West Point friend did Custer congratulate on his successes in the Confederate artillery?
(a) George Yates.
(b) John Pelham.
(c) Austin Blair.
(d) Gimlet Lea.
12. Who was so pleased with Custer's decision to attend West Point that he gave him $200 for expenses?
(a) The parent of one of his students.
(b) His father.
(c) Congressman Bingham.
(d) The farmer, Mr. Monroe.
13. The Black Hills were known to the Sioux as a holy place called ______________.
(b) Bear Butte.
(d) Pa Sapa.
14. What is Pennsylvania Dutch?
(a) Dutch immigrants who first settled in Pennsylvania.
(b) German immigrants from the Rhineland.
(c) Dutch immigrants from Germany.
(d) Dutch immigrants from the Rhineland.
15. What political party did Custer belong to?
(c) No answers are correct.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is George Bent?
2. In 1865, the Oglala resurrected a system of government that acted as a chief's society. The seven men over forty who served were called what?
3. How much did the leather cap that West Point cadets were required to wear weigh?
4. In 1854, who owned the trading house near Fort Laramie?
5. How did Custer spend his teenager years according to Chapter 7?
This section contains 454 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)