|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, Part 1 : Chapter 1, Chapters 5, 6 & 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In 1854, who owned the trading house near Fort Laramie?
(a) Jim Bordeaux.
(b) Henry Hawk.
(c) John Grattan.
(d) Francis Parkman.
2. In 1854, who led four Brules in seeking revenge for Conquering Bear's death?
(a) Old Man Afraid.
(b) Spotted Tail.
(c) Crazy Horse.
(d) Brave Bear.
3. Why did Crazy Horse most likely not get the scalp of his first human kill?
(a) He refused to scalp anyone.
(b) He did not have a scalping knife.
(c) He found out it was a woman.
(d) He was injured.
4. What is the WPPA?
(a) West Point Protective Association.
(b) West Point Provincial Academy.
(c) West Point Protestant Academy.
(d) West Point Protocol Association.
5. According to the author in Chapter 7, what was the ultimate difference between Crazy Horse and Custer?
(a) Religious beliefs.
(b) Their mood.
(c) Hunting skills.
(d) Ability to ride a horse.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much did the leather cap that West Point cadets were required to wear weigh?
2. Who was the half-French, half-Iowa interpreter used by the soldiers at Fort Laramie in Chapter 4?
3. In Chapter 3, what aspect of Sioux life would Claude Levi-Strauss, a French anthropologist, have called the "science of the concrete"?
4. In Chapter 2, the author writes that Americans worked so much that work became ____________.
5. What was the last major tribe pushed onto the Plains by military defeats with other tribes?
This section contains 235 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)