Book 1, The Beginning : Chapter 1, Intro & First 4 Chapters
• The introduction begins with explaining the similarities between two men, Crazy Horse and Custer.
• Although there are parallels between their lives, the author recognizes that there are also differences.
• Ambrose explains how the two men met only twice and how this book will lead to their last meeting at Little Bighorn.
• The book begins with a description of the Great Plains, including the geographical boundaries.
• Extremes in landscape and weather are explained.
• Ambrose tries to communicate what drew men to the Plains.
• The grass of the Plains drew animals like prairie dogs and buffalo.
• After the Spanish brought horses to America, Native Americans of the Great Plains began capturing and riding them.
• The Native American tribes of the Plains, particularly the Sioux, are introduced.
• The Sioux way of making war is very different from what the European trappers and traders...
This section contains 2,619 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)