|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Why Being Less Bad is No Good.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is the Titanic a good metaphor for the industrial age?
(a) Both the Titanic and the industrial age are symbols of strength.
(b) The Titanic is as productive and efficient as the industrial age.
(c) The Titanic is as big and successful as the industrial age.
(d) Both the Titanic and the industrial age appear to be a promising endeavor but are doomed to fail in the end.
2. What is the prediction of Thomas Malthus in the 1800s?
(a) The government will end the Industrial Revolution.
(b) The Industrial Revolution will be the solution to consumerism.
(c) Consumers will thrive off the Industrial Revolution.
(d) The Industrial Revolution will end in destruction.
3. What are some unique properties of ink used in printing this book?
(a) The ink itself is recyclable.
(b) The ink is made with new color technology.
(c) The ink itself is nontoxic and easy to wash off with nontoxic chemicals.
(d) The ink is made in the U.S.
4. What is one problem with recycled paper?
(a) It has stains from the bleaching process.
(b) It can cause blindness if consumed in large quantities.
(c) It still contains the ink marks from the original paper.
(d) It contains a higher level of toxins after the recycling process.
5. Approximately how many chemicals are in use by industry today?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which words best describes a material that has been downcycled?
2. What is an example of Bill and Michael's unique ideas for design?
3. What health problems can be caused by high levels of contaminants in a normal household?
4. How does the Exxon Valdez oil spill result in an economic advantage to some companies?
5. What is a potential problem associated with pesticide and herbicide use?
This section contains 385 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)