|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through A Question of Design.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following statements is NOT true about the Industrial Revolution?
(a) Automobiles are built individually by hand.
(b) Early industrialists do not consider the effects on human health.
(c) Factories consume an enormous amount of our natural resources.
(d) The effects of mass production on the environment are not considered.
2. What do the authors claim is the key problem in recycling products?
(a) The energy spent in recycling is always decreasing.
(b) The chemicals used in recycling are consumer-friendly.
(c) More chemicals and energy must be used in recycling products than in creating new ones.
(d) More people prefer new products to recycled ones.
3. Which products are the best examples of the brute force mentality?
(a) Petrochemicals and coal.
(b) Children's toys.
(d) Pet foods.
4. What is a potential problem associated with pesticide and herbicide use?
(a) Their chemicals can be recycled.
(b) Their gases can be very explosive.
(c) Their toxins build up in the environment.
(d) Their production is very cheap.
5. What health problems can be caused by high levels of contaminants in a normal household?
(a) Asthma and allergies.
(b) Liver and brain cancer.
(d) Heart attack.
Short Answer Questions
1. Approximately how many chemicals have been studied for their health effects?
2. What is the authors' point for why import laws need to be changed?
3. The Industrial Revolution functions on the idea of brute force. What is meant by this phrase as used by the authors?
4. Where does Bill go to study?
5. What do the authors mean by designing products for worst-case scenarios?
This section contains 370 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)