|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through A Question of Design.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What words best describe the environment that Michael grows up in?
2. The Industrial Revolution functions on the idea of brute force. What is meant by this phrase as used by the authors?
(a) Force the product to work under specific circumstances only.
(b) Add more strength to the product so that it works under any circumstance despite the consequences.
(c) Develop the product so that it is consumed by environmental forces.
(d) Weaken the product so that it is safer for consumers.
3. What do the authors mean by designing products for worst-case scenarios?
(a) Making products that work only in ideal circumstances.
(b) Making products so that they never wear out.
(c) Making products that are recyclable.
(d) Making products so that they work in the most difficult of circumstances.
4. What product do the authors use as an example of designing for specific instead of general use?
5. What is a potential problem associated with pesticide and herbicide use?
(a) Their toxins build up in the environment.
(b) Their production is very cheap.
(c) Their gases can be very explosive.
(d) Their chemicals can be recycled.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the authors' point for why import laws need to be changed?
2. What does the owner of Ciba-Geigy encourage Michael to do?
3. What do the authors claim is flawed about architecture made with the International Style?
4. What toxic chemical is included in the production of plastic water bottles?
5. What does Bill finally realize about design?
This section contains 377 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)