|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Perkins so gifted at his job?
2. Where did the United States invade in Chapter 30?
3. Why did the United States' government look away from the terrorist activity forming in Saudi Arabia?
4. What secret did Paula keep from Perkins?
5. Perkins suspected that _____________ was involved in Jaime Roldós Aguilera's death.
Short Essay Questions
1. What was significant about Perkins not being a trained economist?
2. What events surrounded President Roldos death?
3. What would happen to the United States if it was asked to pay back its debts?
4. What significance did September 11th have for Perkins?
5. How did Chavez rise to power in Venezuela?
6. Describe how MAIN's deal with Saudi Arabia changed Saudi Arabia?
7. What did Perkins' experience in Columbia teach him?
8. What did Perkins learn from Farhad and Farhad's father?
9. What was the United State's interest in Iran?
10. Why is "The Prophecy of the Condor and Eagle" important to Perkins?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After the Shah fled to the United States, the United States was forced to return him to Iran. Instead, he sought safety in Panama. What did Panama have to gain by protecting the Shah? Why did the United States call Panama traitors when they hid the Shah as well? Why did Iran want the Shah to return?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Perkins' personality as it evolves throughout the book. How is his behavior at the start of his career? How does it evolve? Do you think Perkins' change is superficial or authentic? What do you believe was the key moment that caused Perkins to change?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss what you believe the term "economic hit man" means. What does the term mean to Perkins? How are economic hit men a lethal force? Cite examples from the text.
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)