|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Yamin said that Iranians were a part of ____________.
2. Other then Iran who was the United States only other ally in the Middle East?
3. With whom did Harken Energy Corporation receive drilling rights?
4. Why did the United States ignore the problem in Venezuela?
5. How much did MAIN pay Perkins to be a expert witness?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Perkins' experience in Columbia teach him?
2. What did Perkins learn from Farhad and Farhad's father?
3. What was the United State's interest in Iran?
4. What controversy surrounded the Summer Institute of Linguistics.
5. Describe Perkins' relationship with Paula.
6. Describe Perkin's interaction with Yamin.
7. Describe Perkins' interaction with Doc. Who is Doc?
8. What role did Perkins play in MAIN continuing to receive jobs from Venezuela in Chapter 17?
9. What significance did September 11th have for Perkins?
10. What was significant about Perkins not being a trained economist?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
During Perkins' time in Panama he visited both the Canal Zone and the rest of the country. Describe the differences Perkins encountered between Panama and the Canal Zone. Describe two things he witnessed in Panama and two things he witnessed in the Canal Zone. Remember to use examples directly from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Perkins' personality as it evolves throughout the book. How is his behavior at the start of his career? How does it evolve? Do you think Perkins' change is superficial or authentic? What do you believe was the key moment that caused Perkins to change?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the importance of the story The Prophecy of the Condor and Eagle. Why did Perkins choose this story to explain world politics? Do you think that Perkins lived by the message in the story? Why or why not? Cite examples from the text to support your position.
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)