|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the United States gain control of in Panama again?
(a) The government.
(b) The Canal.
(c) The country.
(d) The right to drill.
2. What did Perkins think about while at Ground Zero?
(a) Osama Bin Laden accepting a check from an economic hit man.
(b) The deaths of innocent people.
(c) His family.
(d) How this could happen.
3. What did Osvaldo Hurtado allow to happen when he became president?
(a) Public executions.
(b) For the people of Ecuador to invest in Oil fields.
(c) He allowed MAIN to establish offices in Ecuador.
(d) He allowed the Summer Institute of Linguistics to return.
4. How much did MAIN pay Perkins to be a expert witness?
(a) Three times his previous salary.
(b) Ten thousand dollars.
(c) Ten times his previous salary.
(d) His same salary.
5. Who, besides Perkins, knew Perkins' job description?
(a) Those on the inside.
(b) His family.
(d) No one.
6. What was the Summer Institute of Linguistics?
(a) A camp to teach english to the natives.
(b) A group which helped convince natives to give their land to oil companies.
(c) A language camp.
(d) A university program.
7. What does Perkins dread about Ecuador's future?
(a) The rainforest will be drilled away.
(b) The natives will forget their orginal language.
(c) The political system will collapse.
(d) The country will become an United States territory.
8. In Chapter 20, the United States accused Panama of ______________.
(a) Corruption and endangering American lives.
(b) Bankrupting America.
(c) Assassinating the President of the United States.
(d) Stealing the canal.
9. What was the purpose of the Public Utility Regulatory Policy Act?
(a) To regulate utilites.
(b) To help small businesses find ways to get off oil dependence.
(c) To help big businesses find ways to get off oil dependence.
(d) To provide utilites to small countries.
10. Where did Perkins return to in Chapter 34?
(d) Saudi Arabia.
11. Perkins suspected that _____________ was involved in Jaime Roldós Aguilera's death.
(a) The Ecuador police.
(b) The FBI.
(c) The CIA.
(d) The KGB.
12. When Perkins read his resume, whom did he discover as his last two clients?
(a) Google and Yahoo.
(b) Exxon and Shell.
(c) U.S. Department of Treasury and Panama.
(d) U.S. Department of Treasury and the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
13. What story suggests that people need to become a "conscious species"?
(a) "The Prophecy of the Lion and Cougar."
(b) "The Prophecy of the Condor and Eagle."
(c) "The Prophecy of the Condor and Fox."
(d) "The Prophecy of the Cat and Mouse."
14. What was the reaction to Perkin's quitting MAIN?
(a) People were happy.
(b) People threatened him.
(c) People cried.
(d) People thought he was crazy.
15. What caused Venezuela's budget to quadruple?
(a) The death of Jaime Roldós.
(b) The 1986 oil embargo.
(c) The death of Omar Torrijos.
(d) The 1973 oil embargo.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Perkins realize he was doing at the end of Chapter 23?
2. How dependent was Perkins on his staff?
3. What secret did Paula keep from Perkins?
4. Why did Perkins write this book?
5. Why did Perkins quit his job as a expert witness for MAIN?
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)