|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following items does NOT make up the decoration in Johnnetta's home?
(a) Personal furniture.
(b) Family artwork.
(c) Photographs from home.
(d) College antiques.
2. According to Mary, what societal role is care taking usually assigned to?
(a) Care taking isn't assigned to any particular role anymore.
(b) To women.
(c) To the wealthy.
(d) To mothers.
3. According to Mary, what does a true artist take and turn into a masterpiece?
4. What college did Mary once teach at?
5. In what way did Erik constantly show care for his wife and Mary during their interview sessions?
(a) He gave the women space to speak in private.
(b) He regularly told the women how proud he was of them.
(c) He regularly brought the women tea.
(d) He gave the women should massages.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the key to organizing multiple lives at once?
2. What does it mean to be a "conserver"?
3. How many sons does Johnnetta have?
4. Why was Mary jealous of her colleagues when she was living in Amherst?
5. What genre is "The Ode of Imru'u I-Qays"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Johnnetta feel about the need to divide her time between her private and personal lives?
2. What has changed about caretaking in recent years, according to Mary's research on society?
3. Why didn't Mary ever become president of Amherst University?
4. What does Mary mean when she says that all five of the women in the book are "conservers"?
5. What leads Mary to the statement that all five of the women profiled in the book are "idealists"?
6. What prompted Mary's identity crisis after high school?
7. What type of food did Mary cook for Barkev when they were first married?
8. How did Mary's views about discontinuity change as she completed this book?
9. How do the multiple roles women fill in their daily life affect their self-identity?
10. What two metaphors does Mary use to describe her emotions in dealing with the Amherst presidency?
This section contains 965 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)