|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Johnnetta have to look herself in the mirror every morning to remind herself of her new identity?
(a) Because her new identity hasn't sunk in yet.
(b) Because she has short term memory loss.
(c) Because she doesn't feel she deserves her new identity.
(d) Because she doesn't like her new identity.
2. Which of the following is the theme of the final chapter of "Composing a Life"?
(a) Societal Humanity.
(b) Individual Humanity.
(c) Familial Humanity.
(d) Global Humanity.
3. Which of the following activities helps Johnnetta deal with her stress?
4. Which of the women in the book regularly starts their evening meals with an Armenian prayer?
5. Which woman would Mary most likely call "superwoman"?
(b) None of the women.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gave Joan's son Jon a blood transfusion when he was sick in the hospital?
2. Which woman struggles with sibling rivalry, and dividing her attention among her children?
3. Which of the following films does Mary use to demonstrate her theories about traditional gender roles?
4. In what way did Erik constantly show care for his wife and Mary during their interview sessions?
5. How does Mary feel about full-time female workers that also come home and cook for their families?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what ways does Johnnetta's home define her life?
2. How does Johnnetta feel about the need to divide her time between her private and personal lives?
3. Why didn't Mary ever become president of Amherst University?
4. What prompted Mary's identity crisis after high school?
5. What does Mary mean when she says that all five of the women in the book are "conservers"?
6. In what way does "The Ode of Imru'u I-Qays" support Mary's arguments about multiple lives?
7. What leads Mary to the statement that all five of the women profiled in the book are "idealists"?
8. Historically, what members of society usually take the role of caretakers?
9. What type of food did Mary cook for Barkev when they were first married?
10. In what way does Mary compare caretaking to music?
This section contains 1,023 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)