|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Alongside her activities program, what else does Joan believe her patients need to heal?
2. Which of the following is NOT a way Mary lists as a reason for asymmetry in a relationship?
3. What subject does Mary tackle with her metaphor of a "crazy quilt"?
4. What does Alice do for a living?
(a) She is a saleswoman.
(b) She is an engineer.
(c) She is a pilot.
(d) She is a mechanic.
5. Which of the following nation did many of the immigrants Mary's mother worked with com from?
(a) Eastern Europe.
(b) West Africa.
(c) South America.
(d) East Timor.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the women Mary interviewed is the oldest woman in the book?
2. According to Bateson, what do humans tend to believe about society?
3. At which college does Johnnetta teach?
4. On the whole, how does Bateson believe American society treats marriage?
5. What religion did all four of Mary's grandparents follow?
Short Essay Questions
1. What major breakthrough did Ellen make in her field of psychology?
2. According to Mary, why did so many male-female relationships in the past fail?
3. What changed Joan's mind about whether or not she could ever be a successful dancer?
4. According to Bateson, what do humans tend to believe about society?
5. What struggles did Mary encounter when interviewing her four friends for this book?
6. According to Bateson, what role do successful parents play in ensuring, or deterring, the success of their daughters?
7. What does it mean to Mary to live in "a life in flux", and how did this affect her choosing of which women would appear in the book?
8. In what ways does Bateson use riddles to express the way individuals identify their personal convictions and ideals?
9. What happened to Alice after Jack died unexpectedly?
10. What was Erik's theory of the life cycle while he was studying under Freud in the West Coast?
This section contains 1,004 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)