|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following best describes the way the women in the text will "compose their lives"?
2. What was significant about Johnnetta's position as president of Spelman College?
(a) She was the first African-American to earn the post.
(b) She was the first African-American AND the first woman to earn the post.
(c) She was the first African-American woman to earn the post.
(d) She was the first woman to earn the post.
3. According to Bateson, which of the following forces adds the most stress to marriages?
(a) External forces.
(b) Religious forces.
(c) Internal forces.
(d) Personal forces.
4. Which of the following adjectives did NOT describe Ellen when she was giving a lecture at the Bunting colloquium, which Mary attended?
5. What type of poetry was Mary studying when she first met her husband, Barkev?
(a) Arabic poetry.
(b) British rhyming slang.
(c) Japanese haiku.
(d) Shakespearean verse.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of Mary's grandparents was a scientist?
2. According to Bateson, what do humans tend to believe about society?
3. What does Bateson believe will be the result of "a commitment to constantly refocusing one's life"?
4. What does Bateson claim is the next step to improving societal relations?
5. Throughout the course of the book, how many women's lives will be studied?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Joan and Erik collaborate on each other's professional projects?
2. What struggles did Mary encounter when interviewing her four friends for this book?
3. How did Johnnetta's relationship with her husband change after they moved to Africa?
4. According to Bateson, how do today's values for a "good life" differ from traditional values?
5. What was Erik's theory of the life cycle while he was studying under Freud in the West Coast?
6. What two significant events happened when "The Cosby Show" came to film at Spelman University where Johnnetta works?
7. What major breakthrough did Ellen make in her field of psychology?
8. What is the traditional male-female relationship, and how did this begin to change in the 1960s?
9. According to Bateson, how do rhythms affect life?
10. What is significant about Johnnetta's physical appearance?
This section contains 1,051 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)