|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following statements does NOT fit into Mary's definition of wisdom?
(a) It is a survival skill.
(b) It is the ability to adapt to new environments.
(c) It can be practiced by everyone, everyday.
(d) It is something you are born with or without.
2. What does Mary claim is the result of changing one's identity?
3. Who wrote the book "Childhood and Society"?
(a) Erik Erickson.
(b) Bill Billson.
(c) Tom Tomson.
(d) John Johnson.
4. What college did Mary once teach at?
5. What does it mean to be a "conserver"?
(a) To change identity.
(b) To embrace change in relationships.
(c) To recycle past knowledge.
(d) To strive for perfection.
6. Which woman does Mary claim learned to "compose the disparate elements of her life in new and less rigid ways".
7. By enriching their lives, what else are the women in the book enriching?
(a) Their legacies.
(c) The earth.
(d) All female kind.
8. According to Mary, when should caretaking be done?
(a) All the time, every day.
(b) Whenever there is need in the world.
(c) When one has the means to give.
(d) When family members request it.
9. Which of the women identifies herself primarily as a dancer?
10. What is the name of the homeless shelter that provides shelter and food for as many people as possible, every night?
(a) Palm Springs Shelter.
(b) Oak Valley.
(c) Maple Mountain Resort.
(d) Pine Street Inn.
11. Which of the following activities helps Johnnetta deal with her stress?
12. Which of the following statements best describes the five women profiled in this book?
(a) They are went through periods of disillusionment.
(b) They are all fighters.
(c) They are all idealists.
(d) All of the answers are true.
13. To which of the following activities does Mary compare the process of composing an identity?
(a) Washing windows.
(b) Folding origami.
(c) Learning to iron.
(d) Baking a pastry.
14. Why was Mary given the opportunity to act as president of the college where she worked?
(a) Because she was the only person interested in the position.
(b) Because the student body voted her in.
(c) Because the previous president died unexpectedly.
(d) Because her fellow employees voted her in.
15. According to Mary, what is the danger in gardening?
(a) You may have abundant growth that you cannot maintain.
(b) Your neighbor may covet your garden.
(c) Your flowers and produce may never grow.
(d) Vandals may steal or destroy your flowers.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what does Mary compare the "syncopated rhythms" of caretaking?
2. In what country did Mary spend her high school years?
3. Why was Mary jealous of her colleagues when she was living in Amherst?
4. Which of the women adopted a daughter named Sarah late in life?
5. In what decade did family shelters first start to pop up in Boston?
This section contains 497 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)