|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What college did Mary once teach at?
2. Which of the following films does Mary use to demonstrate her theories about traditional gender roles?
(a) "The Crucible".
(b) "The Blue Lagoon".
(c) "High Noon".
3. In "The Ode of Imru'u I-Qays", what distracts the woman from making love with her husband?
(a) The sound of coins being dropped into a jar.
(b) The cry of her child.
(c) The smell of food cooking.
(d) The barking of a neighbor's dog.
4. How many faculty members worked below Mary at the college where she once worked?
5. According to Mary, what societal role is care taking usually assigned to?
(a) To the wealthy.
(b) Care taking isn't assigned to any particular role anymore.
(c) To mothers.
(d) To women.
6. What genre is "The Ode of Imru'u I-Qays"?
(a) It is a short-story.
(b) It is a play.
(c) It is a poem.
(d) It is an essay.
7. Which of the following is NOT the name of one of Joan's children?
8. Which word fills in the following sentence from the final chapter in "Composing a Life": All five women live with high levels of _____________?
9. Which of the women in the book regularly starts their evening meals with an Armenian prayer?
10. Why are men often encouraged to remove distractions from their lives?
(a) So they can become experts in their field.
(b) Because the male brain is wired differently than female brains.
(c) So they can concentrate on one thing at a time.
(d) To ensure maximum financial success.
11. After a period of disillusionment, each of the women in the book have learned how to create commitment without what?
12. In what country did Mary spend her high school years?
13. According to Mary, what should be the primary concern of any care giver?
(a) Creating an environment of stability and wisdom.
(b) Creating an environment for growth and learning.
(c) Creating an environment of warmth and emotional strength.
(d) Creating an environment of safety and love.
14. What does Mary compare to "an obese bully"?
(a) The Sunday paper.
(b) An oven.
(c) An unripe avocado.
(d) Her mother-in-law.
15. What does Mary say Ellen's home "cries out for"?
(a) A heart.
(b) A tribe.
(c) A child.
(d) A maid.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the key to organizing multiple lives at once?
2. According to Mary, what is the danger in gardening?
3. In what way did Erik constantly show care for his wife and Mary during their interview sessions?
4. Which woman would Mary most likely call "superwoman"?
5. According to Mary, what is the one thing all five women in the book are striving for?
This section contains 506 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)