|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following animals does Wash overhear his boss talking about with great respect?
2. Which of the following adjectives best describes the soldier named Borgard in the story "Turnabout"?
3. What does Davy send to Corinthia that enrages her brother?
4. How is the narrator of the story "Pennsylvania Station" related to the dead woman?
5. What recent event has just changed the life of Judge in the story "Beyond"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do lovers Melisandre and Phillip Backhouse meet in the story "My Grandmother Millard and General Bedford and the Battle of Harrykin Creek"?
2. What is life like for Alec Gray after he leaves the Army?
3. How doesd Ira Ewing's mother react to her resettlement in California?
4. On what image does Faulkner end the story "Crevasse"?
5. How does the Judge realize that he is dead in the story "Beyond"?
6. What gift does Richard Howes purchase for his wife when his latest novel sells, and what is her reaction to the gift?
7. What material does Roger Howes use to pen his latest novel in the story "Artist at Home"?
8. How is the sympathy of the Confederate soldier his downfall in the story "Mountain Victory"?
9. How does Harrison Blair's wife feel about him?
10. How does the American soldier Borgard meet the young English soldier in the story "Turnabout"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The story "The Tall Men" deals with the realization that the motivations of actions are sometimes misunderstood. First, explain what the motivations of the marshal were when he came to arrest the two young boys. Then explain what the marshal assumed the motivations of the young boys were in refusing to sign up for service. Finally, explain what the marshal learned about the human condition and what motivates us all.
Essay Topic 2
In the story "Honor" a woman falls in love with two men and begins an extramarital affair. First, compare/contrast the relationships the woman has with both her husband and her lover. Then explain why the husband decided to divorce his wife and let her marry her lover. Finally, explain which, if any, characters in this story acted with honor and give at least two examples that support your argument.
Essay Topic 3
In the stories "Two Soldiers" and "Shall Not Perish," Faulkner plays with the contrast between the rich and poor during the Civil War. First, give a description of the way the poor families are portrayed in these two stories and compare/contrast this with the description of the rich families. Then argue which of these groups of people Faulkner sympathizes with more, and give at least two examples from the text to back up your argument.
This section contains 1,052 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)