|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Ira Ewing when he runs away from home in the story "Golden Land"?
2. Which of the following adjectives best describes the soldier named Borgard in the story "Turnabout"?
3. How does Alec Gray react when he is sent to spend time in the penal battalion?
4. What event does Judge go to watch at the end of the story "Beyond"?
5. In the story "Artist at Home," what does Roger Howes do for a living?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the American soldier Borgard meet the young English soldier in the story "Turnabout"?
2. How does the lover react to the news that the husband has granted his wife a divorce in the story "Honor"?
3. How does Satoris get back at Spoomer for stealing his woman in the story "All the Dead Pilots"?
4. How does Wash die?
5. How doesd Ira Ewing's mother react to her resettlement in California?
6. How is the sympathy of the Confederate soldier his downfall in the story "Mountain Victory"?
7. What was Ira Ewing's childhood like in the story "Golden Land"?
8. Why is Satoris sentenced to serve time with the Camel squadron?
9. How does Danny treat his mother in the story "Pennsylvania Station"?
10. What material does Roger Howes use to pen his latest novel in the story "Artist at Home"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Uncle Willy" is a story crafted to show the effects of a meddling town on an individual's life. First, describe the lifestyle Willie was leading before anyone in the town got involved. Then compare/contrast that to Willy's life after the townsfolk got involved. Finally, describe the effects the town's meddling had on Willy's life and what the consequences of their meddling actions were in the end.
Essay Topic 2
The story "The Tall Men" deals with the realization that the motivations of actions are sometimes misunderstood. First, explain what the motivations of the marshal were when he came to arrest the two young boys. Then explain what the marshal assumed the motivations of the young boys were in refusing to sign up for service. Finally, explain what the marshal learned about the human condition and what motivates us all.
Essay Topic 3
The moral of the story "Bear Hunt" is that the past can come back to haunt you. First, explain Lucius Provine's past. Then explain how it came back to haunt him. Finally, explain the lesson Lucius learned through his experiences on the bear hunt.
This section contains 984 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)