|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Amy beg of her husband Howard Boyd?
2. What race is Wash, from the story "Wash"?
3. In the story "Beyond," what is significant about the baby that Judge meets?
4. Which of the following events does NOT happen in the story "Honor"?
5. At the end of the story "Crevasse," what is the injured man in the corner doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Amy's life change after the death of her first child in the story "The Brooch"?
2. Who is Dr. Martino?
3. How is the sympathy of the Confederate soldier his downfall in the story "Mountain Victory"?
4. How does Danny treat his mother in the story "Pennsylvania Station"?
5. Why does Alec Gray kill his commanding officer?
6. What was Ira Ewing's childhood like in the story "Golden Land"?
7. How do the townsfolk feel about Harrison Blair's hunting style in the story "Foxhunt"?
8. How does Satoris get back at Spoomer for stealing his woman in the story "All the Dead Pilots"?
9. How does Harrison Blair's wife feel about him?
10. How does the Judge realize that he is dead in the story "Beyond"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the theme of decay represented in the story "A Rose for Emily"? Choose two people or objects in this short story and compare/contrast the physical decay these objects undergo throughout the course of the story. Then explain how this decay represents to the theme of love in Emily Grierson's life.
Essay Topic 2
"Uncle Willy" is a story crafted to show the effects of a meddling town on an individual's life. First, describe the lifestyle Willie was leading before anyone in the town got involved. Then compare/contrast that to Willy's life after the townsfolk got involved. Finally, describe the effects the town's meddling had on Willy's life and what the consequences of their meddling actions were in the end.
Essay Topic 3
The story "Victory" is all about the effects of war. First, describe the effects war has on the community as a whole in this story. Then compare/contrast that to the effects war has on the individual in this story. Finally, describe what you think Faulkner's message about war is through the example of this story.
This section contains 961 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)