|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sad event forces Amy out of the house to take up a life of partying?
2. Which of the following statements is true about Wash's female relative?
3. How old is Ira Ewing when he runs away from home in the story "Golden Land"?
4. In the story "All the Dead Pilots," what does Spoomer steal from his friend Satoris?
5. What happens to Satoris at the end of the story "All the Dead Pilots"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Judge realize that he is dead in the story "Beyond"?
2. How does the lover react to the news that the husband has granted his wife a divorce in the story "Honor"?
3. Why does Hubert Jarrod feel as though he has been tricked by Mrs. King, Louisa's mother?
4. What gift does Richard Howes purchase for his wife when his latest novel sells, and what is her reaction to the gift?
5. Why does Alec Gray kill his commanding officer?
6. How does the Appalachian family treat the Confederate soldier and his servant in the story "Mountain Victory"?
7. How does the husband in the story "Honor" react to the news of his wife's extramarital affair?
8. What material does Roger Howes use to pen his latest novel in the story "Artist at Home"?
9. How does Harrison Blair's wife feel about him?
10. How does Wash die?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The story "Hair" is about debt and love. First, describe the two great loves in barber Hawkshaw's life. What promises did Hawkshaw make to his fiance, and how did those promises affect his life? Finally, explain how in paying back the mortgage on his fiance's home, Hawkshaw paid the debt owed on his heart.
Essay Topic 2
The story "The Tall Men" deals with the realization that the motivations of actions are sometimes misunderstood. First, explain what the motivations of the marshal were when he came to arrest the two young boys. Then explain what the marshal assumed the motivations of the young boys were in refusing to sign up for service. Finally, explain what the marshal learned about the human condition and what motivates us all.
Essay Topic 3
"Uncle Willy" is a story crafted to show the effects of a meddling town on an individual's life. First, describe the lifestyle Willie was leading before anyone in the town got involved. Then compare/contrast that to Willy's life after the townsfolk got involved. Finally, describe the effects the town's meddling had on Willy's life and what the consequences of their meddling actions were in the end.
This section contains 998 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)