|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the story "All the Dead Pilots," what does Spoomer steal from his friend Satoris?
2. Where is the resort where the King family meets Jarrod?
3. When Alec Gray loses his job, what does he use to iron his clothes?
4. How many soldiers survive to the end of the story "Crevasse"?
5. What does Louise's mother think about Jarrod?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Amy's life change after the death of her first child in the story "The Brooch"?
2. How does the Appalachian family treat the Confederate soldier and his servant in the story "Mountain Victory"?
3. Why does Hubert Jarrod feel as though he has been tricked by Mrs. King, Louisa's mother?
4. How does Harrison Blair's wife feel about him?
5. How does the Judge realize that he is dead in the story "Beyond"?
6. Who is Dr. Martino?
7. How does the husband in the story "Honor" react to the news of his wife's extramarital affair?
8. How doesd Ira Ewing's mother react to her resettlement in California?
9. How does Wash die?
10. What material does Roger Howes use to pen his latest novel in the story "Artist at Home"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the theme of decay represented in the story "A Rose for Emily"? Choose two people or objects in this short story and compare/contrast the physical decay these objects undergo throughout the course of the story. Then explain how this decay represents to the theme of love in Emily Grierson's life.
Essay Topic 2
"Pennsylvania Station" is a story about the loss of money. First, describe how the mother in this story intended to spend her money and why she saved her income every year. Then, explain what happened to the money the mother saved. Finally, explain why the man telling the story is bankrupt and how he survives in his homelessness.
Essay Topic 3
"Uncle Willy" is a story crafted to show the effects of a meddling town on an individual's life. First, describe the lifestyle Willie was leading before anyone in the town got involved. Then compare/contrast that to Willy's life after the townsfolk got involved. Finally, describe the effects the town's meddling had on Willy's life and what the consequences of their meddling actions were in the end.
This section contains 928 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)