|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the story "The Mistral," which of the following facts is NOT true about the dead man's fiancee?
2. What country is Borgard from?
3. What does Danny send to his mother's funeral, which greatly impresses the narrator of this story?
4. With which of Wash's relatives does his boss start a relationship?
5. On what type of mission does the young English soldier go with Borgard?
Essay Topic 1
The moral of the story "Bear Hunt" is that the past can come back to haunt you. First, explain Lucius Provine's past. Then explain how it came back to haunt him. Finally, explain the lesson Lucius learned through his experiences on the bear hunt.
Essay Topic 2
The story "Victory" is all about the effects of war. First, describe the effects war has on the community as a whole in this story. Then compare/contrast that to the effects war has on the individual in this story. Finally, describe what you think Faulkner's message about war is through the example of this story.
Essay Topic 3
The story "The Tall Men" deals with the realization that the motivations of actions are sometimes misunderstood. First, explain what the motivations of the marshal were when he came to arrest the two young boys. Then explain what the marshal assumed the motivations of the young boys were in refusing to sign up for service. Finally, explain what the marshal learned about the human condition and what motivates us all.
This section contains 1,351 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)