Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the story "The Mistral," which of the following facts is NOT true about the dead man's fiancee?
2. What country is Borgard from?
3. What does Danny send to his mother's funeral, which greatly impresses the narrator of this story?
4. With which of Wash's relatives does his boss start a relationship?
5. On what type of mission does the young English soldier go with Borgard?
Essay Topic 1
Faulkner decides to end his collection with the moving short story "Carcassonne." In it, the body and soul argue about the true form of death. First, describe both the body and the soul's argument as to what death truly is like. Then explain why Faulkner might have chosen to end his collection with this story, and how it unifies the collection as a whole.
Essay Topic 2
The story "Hair" is about debt and love. First, describe the two great loves in barber Hawkshaw's life. What promises did Hawkshaw make to his fiance, and how did those promises affect his life? Finally, explain how in paying back the mortgage on his fiance's home, Hawkshaw paid the debt owed on his heart.
Essay Topic 3
"A Courtship" tells the tale of two men who are fighting over the hand of the same woman. First, describe each of the woman's suitors. Then explain how the suitors competed with each other and the lesson they learned in the end. Finally, describe how the Indian woman in this story took matters into her own hands, and the effects of her decision.
This section contains 309 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)