|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following words completes this quote from the story "Carcassonne": "Death is ___________ a galloping buckskin horse."
2. What is the name of the squadron where Satoris is sent for punishment?
3. Which of the following animals does Wash overhear his boss talking about with great respect?
4. Which of the following characters is NOT present at the boating event in the story "The Leg"?
5. What event does Judge go to watch at the end of the story "Beyond"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What gift does Richard Howes purchase for his wife when his latest novel sells, and what is her reaction to the gift?
2. How does the husband in the story "Honor" react to the news of his wife's extramarital affair?
3. How does the American soldier Borgard meet the young English soldier in the story "Turnabout"?
4. Who is Dr. Martino?
5. What was Ira Ewing's childhood like in the story "Golden Land"?
6. On what image does Faulkner end the story "Crevasse"?
7. How do Hubert Jarrod and Louisa King meet in the story "Dr Martino"?
8. What happens to the traveling soldiers who are trying to escape enemy fire in the story "Crevasse"?
9. How is Davy's life saved during a murder attempt in the story "The Leg"?
10. How does the young English soldier repay Borgard for his kindness in the story "Turnabout"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The story "The Tall Men" deals with the realization that the motivations of actions are sometimes misunderstood. First, explain what the motivations of the marshal were when he came to arrest the two young boys. Then explain what the marshal assumed the motivations of the young boys were in refusing to sign up for service. Finally, explain what the marshal learned about the human condition and what motivates us all.
Essay Topic 2
The story "Hair" is about debt and love. First, describe the two great loves in barber Hawkshaw's life. What promises did Hawkshaw make to his fiance, and how did those promises affect his life? Finally, explain how in paying back the mortgage on his fiance's home, Hawkshaw paid the debt owed on his heart.
Essay Topic 3
The story "Victory" is all about the effects of war. First, describe the effects war has on the community as a whole in this story. Then compare/contrast that to the effects war has on the individual in this story. Finally, describe what you think Faulkner's message about war is through the example of this story.
This section contains 881 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)