|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the story "Artist at Home," what does Roger Howes do for a living?
2. When Alec Gray loses his job, where is he forced to bathe?
3. On what type of boat does the English soldier take Borgard?
4. Which valuable is Grandmother Millard most interested in hiding in the story "Grandmother Millard"?
5. What country is Borgard from?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Davy's life saved during a murder attempt in the story "The Leg"?
2. What is life like for Alec Gray after he leaves the Army?
3. Why do unexpected visitors frequently arrive at the home of Roger Howes in the story "Artist at Home"?
4. How does Wash die?
5. How does Satoris get back at Spoomer for stealing his woman in the story "All the Dead Pilots"?
6. How does Wash feel about the relationship between his boss and his granddaughter in the story "Wash"?
7. How does Danny treat his mother in the story "Pennsylvania Station"?
8. How does the young English soldier repay Borgard for his kindness in the story "Turnabout"?
9. How does Harrison Blair's wife feel about him?
10. How is the sympathy of the Confederate soldier his downfall in the story "Mountain Victory"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The story "Hair" is about debt and love. First, describe the two great loves in barber Hawkshaw's life. What promises did Hawkshaw make to his fiance, and how did those promises affect his life? Finally, explain how in paying back the mortgage on his fiance's home, Hawkshaw paid the debt owed on his heart.
Essay Topic 2
The story "Victory" is all about the effects of war. First, describe the effects war has on the community as a whole in this story. Then compare/contrast that to the effects war has on the individual in this story. Finally, describe what you think Faulkner's message about war is through the example of this story.
Essay Topic 3
The moral of the story "Bear Hunt" is that the past can come back to haunt you. First, explain Lucius Provine's past. Then explain how it came back to haunt him. Finally, explain the lesson Lucius learned through his experiences on the bear hunt.
This section contains 933 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)