|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Spoomer is meeting his woman, where does Satoris find them?
2. Which of the following modes of transportation is seen speeding away at the end of the story "Honor"?
3. Which of the following animals does Wash overhear his boss talking about with great respect?
4. Which of the following words completes this quote from the story "Carcassonne": "Death is ___________ a galloping buckskin horse."
5. Who contacts Jarrod telling him to meet the King family immediately at a resort?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do unexpected visitors frequently arrive at the home of Roger Howes in the story "Artist at Home"?
2. How does Wash die?
3. How does Danny treat his mother in the story "Pennsylvania Station"?
4. What happens to the traveling soldiers who are trying to escape enemy fire in the story "Crevasse"?
5. What gift does Richard Howes purchase for his wife when his latest novel sells, and what is her reaction to the gift?
6. How does the Appalachian family treat the Confederate soldier and his servant in the story "Mountain Victory"?
7. How do Hubert Jarrod and Louisa King meet in the story "Dr Martino"?
8. How doesd Ira Ewing's mother react to her resettlement in California?
9. Why does Alec Gray kill his commanding officer?
10. What material does Roger Howes use to pen his latest novel in the story "Artist at Home"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Uncle Willy" is a story crafted to show the effects of a meddling town on an individual's life. First, describe the lifestyle Willie was leading before anyone in the town got involved. Then compare/contrast that to Willy's life after the townsfolk got involved. Finally, describe the effects the town's meddling had on Willy's life and what the consequences of their meddling actions were in the end.
Essay Topic 2
How did Mannie's husband's death in the story "Mule in the Yard" incite a sequence of tragic events? What message is Faulkner sending the reader about revenge through this cautionary tale? Finally, what were the effects of revenge in the lives of both Mannie and Snopes?
Essay Topic 3
"Pennsylvania Station" is a story about the loss of money. First, describe how the mother in this story intended to spend her money and why she saved her income every year. Then, explain what happened to the money the mother saved. Finally, explain why the man telling the story is bankrupt and how he survives in his homelessness.
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)