|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Ira Ewing when he runs away from home in the story "Golden Land"?
2. Where does Borgard find the young, drunken English soldier?
3. In which city do Hubert Jarrod and Louise King meet in the story "Dr Martino"?
4. What type of vehicle is Satoris in when he goes to spy on Spoomer and his woman?
5. Why doesn't Jarrod want Louise to ride horses with him at the resort?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do lovers Melisandre and Phillip Backhouse meet in the story "My Grandmother Millard and General Bedford and the Battle of Harrykin Creek"?
2. How does Amy's life change after the death of her first child in the story "The Brooch"?
3. How does Wash die?
4. How does Satoris get back at Spoomer for stealing his woman in the story "All the Dead Pilots"?
5. What happens to the traveling soldiers who are trying to escape enemy fire in the story "Crevasse"?
6. How doesd Ira Ewing's mother react to her resettlement in California?
7. Why do unexpected visitors frequently arrive at the home of Roger Howes in the story "Artist at Home"?
8. What is life like for Alec Gray after he leaves the Army?
9. How is Davy's life saved during a murder attempt in the story "The Leg"?
10. On what image does Faulkner end the story "Crevasse"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did Mannie's husband's death in the story "Mule in the Yard" incite a sequence of tragic events? What message is Faulkner sending the reader about revenge through this cautionary tale? Finally, what were the effects of revenge in the lives of both Mannie and Snopes?
Essay Topic 2
The story "The Tall Men" deals with the realization that the motivations of actions are sometimes misunderstood. First, explain what the motivations of the marshal were when he came to arrest the two young boys. Then explain what the marshal assumed the motivations of the young boys were in refusing to sign up for service. Finally, explain what the marshal learned about the human condition and what motivates us all.
Essay Topic 3
"Turnabout" directly addresses the idea of prejudice in the Army during wartime. First, describe how the soldiers in this story felt about one another before spending a day in the other's shoes. Then describe the events that led up to the two soldiers experiencing a day in the other's life. Finally, describe what the soldiers realized was the same about them by the end of the story. What was still different?
This section contains 981 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)