|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the story "The Mistral," which of the following facts is NOT true about the dead man's fiancee?
2. What country is Borgard from?
3. What does Danny send to his mother's funeral, which greatly impresses the narrator of this story?
4. With which of Wash's relatives does his boss start a relationship?
5. On what type of mission does the young English soldier go with Borgard?
Essay Topic 1
In the story "Honor" a woman falls in love with two men and begins an extramarital affair. First, compare/contrast the relationships the woman has with both her husband and her lover. Then explain why the husband decided to divorce his wife and let her marry her lover. Finally, explain which, if any, characters in this story acted with honor and give at least two examples that support your argument.
Essay Topic 2
How is the theme of decay represented in the story "A Rose for Emily"? Choose two people or objects in this short story and compare/contrast the physical decay these objects undergo throughout the course of the story. Then explain how this decay represents to the theme of love in Emily Grierson's life.
Essay Topic 3
"Red Leaves" is the first story in the collection to deal with the issue of slavery from the Native American point of view. First, explain how the Native Americans in this story treat their slaves. Then, compare/contrast this treatment to the way the white men in Faulkner's collection treat their slaves. Why is "Red Leaves" an important story within this collection?
This section contains 1,351 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)