|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What country is Borgard from?
2. What is the last name of the Confederate soldier who stands up and protects Melisandre?
3. From where does Roger Howes move his family in order to relocate in New York?
4. During which of the following holidays do Hubert Jarrod and Louise King meet?
5. In the story "Carcassonne," which of the following believes that death is "continual movement"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the American soldier Borgard meet the young English soldier in the story "Turnabout"?
2. How does the lover react to the news that the husband has granted his wife a divorce in the story "Honor"?
3. How does Wash die?
4. How does the Judge realize that he is dead in the story "Beyond"?
5. What gift does Richard Howes purchase for his wife when his latest novel sells, and what is her reaction to the gift?
6. How is Davy's life saved during a murder attempt in the story "The Leg"?
7. What is the result of Ira Ewing's lax parenting in the story "Golden Land"?
8. How does Danny treat his mother in the story "Pennsylvania Station"?
9. How does Satoris get back at Spoomer for stealing his woman in the story "All the Dead Pilots"?
10. What was Ira Ewing's childhood like in the story "Golden Land"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the story "Honor" a woman falls in love with two men and begins an extramarital affair. First, compare/contrast the relationships the woman has with both her husband and her lover. Then explain why the husband decided to divorce his wife and let her marry her lover. Finally, explain which, if any, characters in this story acted with honor and give at least two examples that support your argument.
Essay Topic 2
"Wash" is a story about race relations on slave plantations. First, compare/contrast the way white slaves and black slaves are treated on the plantation. How does this unbalanced treatment affect Wash's life? Then compare/contrast the way Wash hoped his master would treat his granddaughter with the way he actually treated her. How did this unexpected treatment lead Wash to commit double murder?
Essay Topic 3
"Elly" is a classic story about the struggle between old and young. First, describe the way the elderly are depicted in this story and compare/contrast that to the way youth is depicted in this story. Then explain what caused the rift between Elly and her grandmother. Finally, describe the consequences of Elly's youthful antics on the lives of her loved ones.
This section contains 956 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)