|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following purchases did the dead woman upgrade every year?
2. In the story "Artist at Home," what does Roger Howes do for a living?
3. Who kills Doctor Martino?
4. In the story "Victory," what country is the man visiting when he pretends to be an aristocrat?
5. Which of the following lucky pendants does Dr Martino give to Louise to help her overcome her fears?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Satoris sentenced to serve time with the Camel squadron?
2. Why do unexpected visitors frequently arrive at the home of Roger Howes in the story "Artist at Home"?
3. Why does Alec Gray kill his commanding officer?
4. How do Hubert Jarrod and Louisa King meet in the story "Dr Martino"?
5. How does Satoris get back at Spoomer for stealing his woman in the story "All the Dead Pilots"?
6. How does the husband in the story "Honor" react to the news of his wife's extramarital affair?
7. How does the young English soldier repay Borgard for his kindness in the story "Turnabout"?
8. What happens to the traveling soldiers who are trying to escape enemy fire in the story "Crevasse"?
9. How does Harrison Blair's wife feel about him?
10. What material does Roger Howes use to pen his latest novel in the story "Artist at Home"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Wash" is a story about race relations on slave plantations. First, compare/contrast the way white slaves and black slaves are treated on the plantation. How does this unbalanced treatment affect Wash's life? Then compare/contrast the way Wash hoped his master would treat his granddaughter with the way he actually treated her. How did this unexpected treatment lead Wash to commit double murder?
Essay Topic 2
"Pennsylvania Station" is a story about the loss of money. First, describe how the mother in this story intended to spend her money and why she saved her income every year. Then, explain what happened to the money the mother saved. Finally, explain why the man telling the story is bankrupt and how he survives in his homelessness.
Essay Topic 3
How did Mannie's husband's death in the story "Mule in the Yard" incite a sequence of tragic events? What message is Faulkner sending the reader about revenge through this cautionary tale? Finally, what were the effects of revenge in the lives of both Mannie and Snopes?
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)