|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Satoris at the end of the story "All the Dead Pilots"?
2. What event does Judge go to watch at the end of the story "Beyond"?
3. In the story "Carcassonne," which of the following believes that death is "continual movement"?
4. In the story "Carcassonne," which of the following believes that death is "a stillness"?
5. During which season do Jarrod and Louise attend prom together?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Danny treat his mother in the story "Pennsylvania Station"?
2. Why is Satoris sentenced to serve time with the Camel squadron?
3. How does Satoris get back at Spoomer for stealing his woman in the story "All the Dead Pilots"?
4. How do the townsfolk feel about Harrison Blair's hunting style in the story "Foxhunt"?
5. Why does Hubert Jarrod feel as though he has been tricked by Mrs. King, Louisa's mother?
6. What gift does Richard Howes purchase for his wife when his latest novel sells, and what is her reaction to the gift?
7. What is life like for Alec Gray after he leaves the Army?
8. What happens to the traveling soldiers who are trying to escape enemy fire in the story "Crevasse"?
9. How does the lover react to the news that the husband has granted his wife a divorce in the story "Honor"?
10. How does the husband in the story "Honor" react to the news of his wife's extramarital affair?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Turnabout" directly addresses the idea of prejudice in the Army during wartime. First, describe how the soldiers in this story felt about one another before spending a day in the other's shoes. Then describe the events that led up to the two soldiers experiencing a day in the other's life. Finally, describe what the soldiers realized was the same about them by the end of the story. What was still different?
Essay Topic 2
In the story "Beyond," there is a baby covered in scars that is in the afterlife with Judge. First, describe the physicality of the scarred baby. How did he get his scars? Then explain they symbolism of the scarred baby in Judge's life. What lesson is meant to learn from this baby?
Essay Topic 3
How is the theme of decay represented in the story "A Rose for Emily"? Choose two people or objects in this short story and compare/contrast the physical decay these objects undergo throughout the course of the story. Then explain how this decay represents to the theme of love in Emily Grierson's life.
This section contains 957 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)