|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of the story "Crevasse," what is the injured man in the corner doing?
2. What position does Borgard hold in his Army battalion?
3. What recent event has just changed the life of Judge in the story "Beyond"?
4. Who contacts Jarrod telling him to meet the King family immediately at a resort?
5. What sad event forces Amy out of the house to take up a life of partying?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Satoris sentenced to serve time with the Camel squadron?
2. Who is Dr. Martino?
3. How does the Judge realize that he is dead in the story "Beyond"?
4. How does the Appalachian family treat the Confederate soldier and his servant in the story "Mountain Victory"?
5. How is the sympathy of the Confederate soldier his downfall in the story "Mountain Victory"?
6. How does Wash feel about the relationship between his boss and his granddaughter in the story "Wash"?
7. How does Satoris get back at Spoomer for stealing his woman in the story "All the Dead Pilots"?
8. What is life like for Alec Gray after he leaves the Army?
9. On what image does Faulkner end the story "Crevasse"?
10. How does the American soldier Borgard meet the young English soldier in the story "Turnabout"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Pennsylvania Station" is a story about the loss of money. First, describe how the mother in this story intended to spend her money and why she saved her income every year. Then, explain what happened to the money the mother saved. Finally, explain why the man telling the story is bankrupt and how he survives in his homelessness.
Essay Topic 2
In the story "Beyond," there is a baby covered in scars that is in the afterlife with Judge. First, describe the physicality of the scarred baby. How did he get his scars? Then explain they symbolism of the scarred baby in Judge's life. What lesson is meant to learn from this baby?
Essay Topic 3
The moral of the story "Bear Hunt" is that the past can come back to haunt you. First, explain Lucius Provine's past. Then explain how it came back to haunt him. Finally, explain the lesson Lucius learned through his experiences on the bear hunt.
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)