|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what type of mission does the young English soldier go with Borgard?
2. Who contacts Jarrod telling him to meet the King family immediately at a resort?
3. During which season do Jarrod and Louise attend prom together?
4. When Howes' latest project sells, what does he purchase for his wife?
5. What does Louise's mother think about Jarrod?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Davy's life saved during a murder attempt in the story "The Leg"?
2. How does Amy's life change after the death of her first child in the story "The Brooch"?
3. Who is Dr. Martino?
4. Why does Alec Gray kill his commanding officer?
5. On what image does Faulkner end the story "Crevasse"?
6. How does Danny treat his mother in the story "Pennsylvania Station"?
7. How does the young English soldier repay Borgard for his kindness in the story "Turnabout"?
8. How does the Appalachian family treat the Confederate soldier and his servant in the story "Mountain Victory"?
9. How does Wash die?
10. How does the husband in the story "Honor" react to the news of his wife's extramarital affair?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Elly" is a classic story about the struggle between old and young. First, describe the way the elderly are depicted in this story and compare/contrast that to the way youth is depicted in this story. Then explain what caused the rift between Elly and her grandmother. Finally, describe the consequences of Elly's youthful antics on the lives of her loved ones.
Essay Topic 2
The story "The Tall Men" deals with the realization that the motivations of actions are sometimes misunderstood. First, explain what the motivations of the marshal were when he came to arrest the two young boys. Then explain what the marshal assumed the motivations of the young boys were in refusing to sign up for service. Finally, explain what the marshal learned about the human condition and what motivates us all.
Essay Topic 3
In the stories "Two Soldiers" and "Shall Not Perish," Faulkner plays with the contrast between the rich and poor during the Civil War. First, give a description of the way the poor families are portrayed in these two stories and compare/contrast this with the description of the rich families. Then argue which of these groups of people Faulkner sympathizes with more, and give at least two examples from the text to back up your argument.
This section contains 919 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)