|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many soldiers survive to the end of the story "Crevasse"?
2. In the story "Carcassonne," which of the following believes that death is "continual movement"?
3. In the story "The Mistral," which of the following facts is NOT true about the dead man's fiancee?
4. When Ewing leaves Nebraska, where does he go?
5. Ira Ewing's mother asks him for money for what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Satoris get back at Spoomer for stealing his woman in the story "All the Dead Pilots"?
2. Who is Dr. Martino?
3. How does the Judge realize that he is dead in the story "Beyond"?
4. How does Amy's life change after the death of her first child in the story "The Brooch"?
5. How does Wash die?
6. How is the sympathy of the Confederate soldier his downfall in the story "Mountain Victory"?
7. How doesd Ira Ewing's mother react to her resettlement in California?
8. How does Wash feel about the relationship between his boss and his granddaughter in the story "Wash"?
9. How does the lover react to the news that the husband has granted his wife a divorce in the story "Honor"?
10. How does the American soldier Borgard meet the young English soldier in the story "Turnabout"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Elly" is a classic story about the struggle between old and young. First, describe the way the elderly are depicted in this story and compare/contrast that to the way youth is depicted in this story. Then explain what caused the rift between Elly and her grandmother. Finally, describe the consequences of Elly's youthful antics on the lives of her loved ones.
Essay Topic 2
The story "Victory" is all about the effects of war. First, describe the effects war has on the community as a whole in this story. Then compare/contrast that to the effects war has on the individual in this story. Finally, describe what you think Faulkner's message about war is through the example of this story.
Essay Topic 3
"Pennsylvania Station" is a story about the loss of money. First, describe how the mother in this story intended to spend her money and why she saved her income every year. Then, explain what happened to the money the mother saved. Finally, explain why the man telling the story is bankrupt and how he survives in his homelessness.
This section contains 957 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)