|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of the story "Crevasse," what is the injured man in the corner doing?
2. In the story "Victory," what country is the man visiting when he pretends to be an aristocrat?
3. In the story "Artist at Home," what does Roger Howes do for a living?
4. In the story "Crevasse," how are the first 12 soldiers killed?
5. What is another word for "crevasse"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Danny treat his mother in the story "Pennsylvania Station"?
2. Why does Hubert Jarrod feel as though he has been tricked by Mrs. King, Louisa's mother?
3. How do Hubert Jarrod and Louisa King meet in the story "Dr Martino"?
4. What material does Roger Howes use to pen his latest novel in the story "Artist at Home"?
5. How does Amy's life change after the death of her first child in the story "The Brooch"?
6. How does the husband in the story "Honor" react to the news of his wife's extramarital affair?
7. What is the result of Ira Ewing's lax parenting in the story "Golden Land"?
8. How does the American soldier Borgard meet the young English soldier in the story "Turnabout"?
9. How does the Judge realize that he is dead in the story "Beyond"?
10. How does Wash feel about the relationship between his boss and his granddaughter in the story "Wash"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the theme of decay represented in the story "A Rose for Emily"? Choose two people or objects in this short story and compare/contrast the physical decay these objects undergo throughout the course of the story. Then explain how this decay represents to the theme of love in Emily Grierson's life.
Essay Topic 2
The moral of the story "Bear Hunt" is that the past can come back to haunt you. First, explain Lucius Provine's past. Then explain how it came back to haunt him. Finally, explain the lesson Lucius learned through his experiences on the bear hunt.
Essay Topic 3
The story "Victory" is all about the effects of war. First, describe the effects war has on the community as a whole in this story. Then compare/contrast that to the effects war has on the individual in this story. Finally, describe what you think Faulkner's message about war is through the example of this story.
This section contains 921 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)