|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the story "Beyond," what is significant about the baby that Judge meets?
2. While Alec Gray is in the Army, what is his relationship with his family?
3. Which of the following lucky pendants does Dr Martino give to Louise to help her overcome her fears?
4. What does Louise's mother think about Jarrod?
5. How does Howard Boyd's mother feel about Howard's wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the young English soldier repay Borgard for his kindness in the story "Turnabout"?
2. How do Hubert Jarrod and Louisa King meet in the story "Dr Martino"?
3. Why does Hubert Jarrod feel as though he has been tricked by Mrs. King, Louisa's mother?
4. How does the lover react to the news that the husband has granted his wife a divorce in the story "Honor"?
5. Why does Alec Gray kill his commanding officer?
6. How does the husband in the story "Honor" react to the news of his wife's extramarital affair?
7. How do the townsfolk feel about Harrison Blair's hunting style in the story "Foxhunt"?
8. On what image does Faulkner end the story "Crevasse"?
9. What material does Roger Howes use to pen his latest novel in the story "Artist at Home"?
10. What is the result of Ira Ewing's lax parenting in the story "Golden Land"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the theme of decay represented in the story "A Rose for Emily"? Choose two people or objects in this short story and compare/contrast the physical decay these objects undergo throughout the course of the story. Then explain how this decay represents to the theme of love in Emily Grierson's life.
Essay Topic 2
The story "Victory" is all about the effects of war. First, describe the effects war has on the community as a whole in this story. Then compare/contrast that to the effects war has on the individual in this story. Finally, describe what you think Faulkner's message about war is through the example of this story.
Essay Topic 3
What do you think is more important to Sarty in the story "Barn Burning," love or truth? Give at least two examples of each of these themes as depicted in Sarty's relationship with his father. Then describe Sarty's struggle to balance love and truth, and how this struggle led to his maturity.
This section contains 939 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)