|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following purchases did the dead woman upgrade every year?
2. In the story "Artist at Home," what does Roger Howes do for a living?
3. When Howes' latest project sells, what does he purchase for his wife?
4. What position does Borgard hold in his Army battalion?
5. Which valuable is Grandmother Millard most interested in hiding in the story "Grandmother Millard"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the American soldier Borgard meet the young English soldier in the story "Turnabout"?
2. What happens to the traveling soldiers who are trying to escape enemy fire in the story "Crevasse"?
3. On what image does Faulkner end the story "Crevasse"?
4. How does the husband in the story "Honor" react to the news of his wife's extramarital affair?
5. How does Amy's life change after the death of her first child in the story "The Brooch"?
6. How does the Judge realize that he is dead in the story "Beyond"?
7. What material does Roger Howes use to pen his latest novel in the story "Artist at Home"?
8. How doesd Ira Ewing's mother react to her resettlement in California?
9. How does Satoris get back at Spoomer for stealing his woman in the story "All the Dead Pilots"?
10. Who is Dr. Martino?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Lo" is the only story that deals with a real, historical character in its depiction of an American president. First, describe the way the president was portrayed in this story. Then compare/contrast our country's leader to the Indian tribe leader in the story. To which group does Faulkner's historical sympathy seem to lie? How can you tell?
Essay Topic 2
"Uncle Willy" is a story crafted to show the effects of a meddling town on an individual's life. First, describe the lifestyle Willie was leading before anyone in the town got involved. Then compare/contrast that to Willy's life after the townsfolk got involved. Finally, describe the effects the town's meddling had on Willy's life and what the consequences of their meddling actions were in the end.
Essay Topic 3
How did Mannie's husband's death in the story "Mule in the Yard" incite a sequence of tragic events? What message is Faulkner sending the reader about revenge through this cautionary tale? Finally, what were the effects of revenge in the lives of both Mannie and Snopes?
This section contains 915 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)