Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the story "The Mistral," which of the following facts is NOT true about the dead man's fiancee?
2. What country is Borgard from?
3. What does Danny send to his mother's funeral, which greatly impresses the narrator of this story?
4. With which of Wash's relatives does his boss start a relationship?
5. On what type of mission does the young English soldier go with Borgard?
Essay Topic 1
"Elly" is a classic story about the struggle between old and young. First, describe the way the elderly are depicted in this story and compare/contrast that to the way youth is depicted in this story. Then explain what caused the rift between Elly and her grandmother. Finally, describe the consequences of Elly's youthful antics on the lives of her loved ones.
Essay Topic 2
"Wash" is a story about race relations on slave plantations. First, compare/contrast the way white slaves and black slaves are treated on the plantation. How does this unbalanced treatment affect Wash's life? Then compare/contrast the way Wash hoped his master would treat his granddaughter with the way he actually treated her. How did this unexpected treatment lead Wash to commit double murder?
Essay Topic 3
The story "The Tall Men" deals with the realization that the motivations of actions are sometimes misunderstood. First, explain what the motivations of the marshal were when he came to arrest the two young boys. Then explain what the marshal assumed the motivations of the young boys were in refusing to sign up for service. Finally, explain what the marshal learned about the human condition and what motivates us all.
This section contains 324 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)