|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what type of mission does the young English soldier go with Borgard?
2. After Davy loses his leg in the war, what material is used to craft him a new one?
3. After he resettles away from Nebraska, what does Ewing do for a living?
4. How does Boyd's mother find out that Amy has lost her brooch?
5. What does Louise's mother think about Jarrod?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Wash feel about the relationship between his boss and his granddaughter in the story "Wash"?
2. How doesd Ira Ewing's mother react to her resettlement in California?
3. How does the lover react to the news that the husband has granted his wife a divorce in the story "Honor"?
4. Why do unexpected visitors frequently arrive at the home of Roger Howes in the story "Artist at Home"?
5. What is life like for Alec Gray after he leaves the Army?
6. How do the townsfolk feel about Harrison Blair's hunting style in the story "Foxhunt"?
7. What happens to the traveling soldiers who are trying to escape enemy fire in the story "Crevasse"?
8. How does Harrison Blair's wife feel about him?
9. What is the result of Ira Ewing's lax parenting in the story "Golden Land"?
10. On what image does Faulkner end the story "Crevasse"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Pennsylvania Station" is a story about the loss of money. First, describe how the mother in this story intended to spend her money and why she saved her income every year. Then, explain what happened to the money the mother saved. Finally, explain why the man telling the story is bankrupt and how he survives in his homelessness.
Essay Topic 2
In the story "Honor" a woman falls in love with two men and begins an extramarital affair. First, compare/contrast the relationships the woman has with both her husband and her lover. Then explain why the husband decided to divorce his wife and let her marry her lover. Finally, explain which, if any, characters in this story acted with honor and give at least two examples that support your argument.
Essay Topic 3
"Uncle Willy" is a story crafted to show the effects of a meddling town on an individual's life. First, describe the lifestyle Willie was leading before anyone in the town got involved. Then compare/contrast that to Willy's life after the townsfolk got involved. Finally, describe the effects the town's meddling had on Willy's life and what the consequences of their meddling actions were in the end.
This section contains 993 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)