|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many pilots make up the stunt team in the story "Death Drag"?
2. Whom does Res Grier take with him when he returns to work on the church in the middle of the night?
3. Which of Mannie's relatives is killed driving mules while working for Snopes?
4. What is the name of the company Captain Warren pilots for in the story "Death Drag"?
5. Which of the following ailments does not befall the first pilot in the story "Death Drag"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Lucius Provine when he travels to the Indian reservation?
2. What request does Pappy make of Doom when he returns to the tribe, and what is Doom's response?
3. What happens when Flem Snopes attempts to turn his two black co-workers against each other in the story "Centaur in Brass"?
4. Why is Res Grier accused of arson?
5. What series of events takes place when Minnie realizes that there are mules in her yard in the story of the same name?
6. Why do the Jefferson townsfolk pity Emily Grierson after her father dies?
7. Why does Res Grier offer a hound dog to two of his co-workers?
8. How does Lucius Provine treat the black people in his neighborhood when he is a child?
9. In the story "Lo," why is the president uncomfortable with the Native Americans who come to him for advice?
10. Whom does the desirable woman in "A Courtship" decide to marry, and how does she make her decision?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The story of Doom becoming Indian chief of his tribe is one full of adultery, murder, dishonesty and racism. Give at least one examples of each of these elements within the story "A Justice." Then explain why you think Faulkner chose to give this story its particular title.
Essay Topic 2
The story "Hair" is about debt and love. First, describe the two great loves in barber Hawkshaw's life. What promises did Hawkshaw make to his fiance, and how did those promises affect his life? Finally, explain how in paying back the mortgage on his fiance's home, Hawkshaw paid the debt owed on his heart.
Essay Topic 3
In the stories "Two Soldiers" and "Shall Not Perish," Faulkner plays with the contrast between the rich and poor during the Civil War. First, give a description of the way the poor families are portrayed in these two stories and compare/contrast this with the description of the rich families. Then argue which of these groups of people Faulkner sympathizes with more, and give at least two examples from the text to back up your argument.
This section contains 968 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)