|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Paul de Montigny feel about marrying Elly?
2. When Doom wants to settle an argument between two men in his tribe, what type of fight does he arrange?
3. How old is Emily Grierson when she dies?
4. What is the name of the leader of the mob that kills Minnie Cooper's attacker in the story "Dry September"?
5. What vegetable is Abner Snope ordered to use to pay back his debts?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Res Grier offer a hound dog to two of his co-workers?
2. How does Sam Fathers earn his birth name?
3. How does Nancy react to life in jail in the story "The Evening Sun"?
4. What happens to Lucius Provine when he travels to the Indian reservation?
5. What happens when Minnie Cooper attempts to leave her home on the day after the attack in "Dry September"?
6. Whom does the desirable woman in "A Courtship" decide to marry, and how does she make her decision?
7. What do the townsfolk find behind the locked door in Emily Grierson's home after she dies?
8. Why is Abner Snope ordered to pay de Spain bushels of corn, and what is Abner's reaction to this order?
9. What request does Pappy make of Doom when he returns to the tribe, and what is Doom's response?
10. What series of events takes place when Minnie realizes that there are mules in her yard in the story of the same name?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Turnabout" directly addresses the idea of prejudice in the Army during wartime. First, describe how the soldiers in this story felt about one another before spending a day in the other's shoes. Then describe the events that led up to the two soldiers experiencing a day in the other's life. Finally, describe what the soldiers realized was the same about them by the end of the story. What was still different?
Essay Topic 2
"Uncle Willy" is a story crafted to show the effects of a meddling town on an individual's life. First, describe the lifestyle Willie was leading before anyone in the town got involved. Then compare/contrast that to Willy's life after the townsfolk got involved. Finally, describe the effects the town's meddling had on Willy's life and what the consequences of their meddling actions were in the end.
Essay Topic 3
In the story "Honor" a woman falls in love with two men and begins an extramarital affair. First, compare/contrast the relationships the woman has with both her husband and her lover. Then explain why the husband decided to divorce his wife and let her marry her lover. Finally, explain which, if any, characters in this story acted with honor and give at least two examples that support your argument.
This section contains 1,000 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)