|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the Native Americans want to hold a trial for the chief's nephew in the white man's court?
2. What does the father of the two young boys tell them to do when he sees the party that has come to arrest them?
3. In the story "Red Leaves," how many Indians are searching for the chief's slave?
4. What is the only thing Emily's father leaves to her in his will?
5. What part of the black men's clothing did Lucius Provine burn when he was a child?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the sympathy of the Confederate soldier his downfall in the story "Mountain Victory"?
2. On what image does Faulkner end the story "Crevasse"?
3. How does the Judge realize that he is dead in the story "Beyond"?
4. Why is Res Grier accused of arson?
5. In the story "Lo," why is the president uncomfortable with the Native Americans who come to him for advice?
6. Why does Alec Gray kill his commanding officer?
7. What happens to the traveling soldiers who are trying to escape enemy fire in the story "Crevasse"?
8. How does Harrison Blair's wife feel about him?
9. What is life like for Alec Gray after he leaves the Army?
10. Why do unexpected visitors frequently arrive at the home of Roger Howes in the story "Artist at Home"?
Essay Topic 1
The story "The Tall Men" deals with the realization that the motivations of actions are sometimes misunderstood. First, explain what the motivations of the marshal were when he came to arrest the two young boys. Then explain what the marshal assumed the motivations of the young boys were in refusing to sign up for service. Finally, explain what the marshal learned about the human condition and what motivates us all.
Essay Topic 2
"Pennsylvania Station" is a story about the loss of money. First, describe how the mother in this story intended to spend her money and why she saved her income every year. Then, explain what happened to the money the mother saved. Finally, explain why the man telling the story is bankrupt and how he survives in his homelessness.
Essay Topic 3
"Turnabout" directly addresses the idea of prejudice in the Army during wartime. First, describe how the soldiers in this story felt about one another before spending a day in the other's shoes. Then describe the events that led up to the two soldiers experiencing a day in the other's life. Finally, describe what the soldiers realized was the same about them by the end of the story. What was still different?
This section contains 2,016 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)