|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the father of the two young boys tell them to do when he sees the party that has come to arrest them?
2. After he left his tribe, where did Doom settle?
3. What is the name of Abner Snope's only son?
4. Although she is beautiful, which of the following adjectives best describes Herman Basket's sister?
5. At the end of the story "Elly," which of the following is the only character who is still alive?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Sarty involved in his father's death?
2. How does McLendon treat women in the story "Dry September"?
3. What happens when Minnie Cooper attempts to leave her home on the day after the attack in "Dry September"?
4. Why is Lucius Provine sent to see the Indian doctor while out on a bear hunt?
5. How does Nancy react to life in jail in the story "The Evening Sun"?
6. How does Lucius Provine treat the black people in his neighborhood when he is a child?
7. What happens when Flem Snopes attempts to turn his two black co-workers against each other in the story "Centaur in Brass"?
8. What competition do Ikkemotubbe and David Hogganbeck find themselves in in the story "A Courtship"?
9. How is the slave finally captured in the story "Red Leaves"?
10. In the story "Lo," why is the president uncomfortable with the Native Americans who come to him for advice?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the story "Beyond," there is a baby covered in scars that is in the afterlife with Judge. First, describe the physicality of the scarred baby. How did he get his scars? Then explain they symbolism of the scarred baby in Judge's life. What lesson is meant to learn from this baby?
Essay Topic 2
What do you think is more important to Sarty in the story "Barn Burning," love or truth? Give at least two examples of each of these themes as depicted in Sarty's relationship with his father. Then describe Sarty's struggle to balance love and truth, and how this struggle led to his maturity.
Essay Topic 3
"A Courtship" tells the tale of two men who are fighting over the hand of the same woman. First, describe each of the woman's suitors. Then explain how the suitors competed with each other and the lesson they learned in the end. Finally, describe how the Indian woman in this story took matters into her own hands, and the effects of her decision.
This section contains 937 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)