|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who suggests that Lucius go visit the Indians to cure his ailment?
2. Which of the following relatives does Elly live with in the story "Elly"?
3. What is Sam Father's real birth name?
4. What does the father of the two young boys tell them to do when he sees the party that has come to arrest them?
5. Which of the following things motivates the pilots in "Death Drag" to perform such dangerous tricks when traveling town to town?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are the two Indians in "Red Leaves" searching for their chief's slave?
2. What happens to Lucius Provine when he travels to the Indian reservation?
3. How is Sarty involved in his father's death?
4. How does McLendon treat women in the story "Dry September"?
5. Why do the Indians come to the president's office seeking advice in the story "Lo"?
6. Why are the investigator and the marshal at the home of two young boys in the story "The Tall Men"?
7. What of Hawkshaw's behavior do the townsfolk find unusual in the story "Hair"?
8. Why is Abner Snope ordered to pay de Spain bushels of corn, and what is Abner's reaction to this order?
9. Whom does the desirable woman in "A Courtship" decide to marry, and how does she make her decision?
10. What do the townsfolk find behind the locked door in Emily Grierson's home after she dies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Turnabout" directly addresses the idea of prejudice in the Army during wartime. First, describe how the soldiers in this story felt about one another before spending a day in the other's shoes. Then describe the events that led up to the two soldiers experiencing a day in the other's life. Finally, describe what the soldiers realized was the same about them by the end of the story. What was still different?
Essay Topic 2
In the story "Honor" a woman falls in love with two men and begins an extramarital affair. First, compare/contrast the relationships the woman has with both her husband and her lover. Then explain why the husband decided to divorce his wife and let her marry her lover. Finally, explain which, if any, characters in this story acted with honor and give at least two examples that support your argument.
Essay Topic 3
The story "Hair" is about debt and love. First, describe the two great loves in barber Hawkshaw's life. What promises did Hawkshaw make to his fiance, and how did those promises affect his life? Finally, explain how in paying back the mortgage on his fiance's home, Hawkshaw paid the debt owed on his heart.
This section contains 978 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)