Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the Native Americans want to hold a trial for the chief's nephew in the white man's court?
2. What does the father of the two young boys tell them to do when he sees the party that has come to arrest them?
3. In the story "Red Leaves," how many Indians are searching for the chief's slave?
4. What is the only thing Emily's father leaves to her in his will?
5. What part of the black men's clothing did Lucius Provine burn when he was a child?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the sympathy of the Confederate soldier his downfall in the story "Mountain Victory"?
2. On what image does Faulkner end the story "Crevasse"?
3. How does the Judge realize that he is dead in the story "Beyond"?
4. Why is Res Grier accused of arson?
5. In the story "Lo," why is the president uncomfortable with the Native Americans who come to him for advice?
6. Why does Alec Gray kill his commanding officer?
7. What happens to the traveling soldiers who are trying to escape enemy fire in the story "Crevasse"?
8. How does Harrison Blair's wife feel about him?
9. What is life like for Alec Gray after he leaves the Army?
10. Why do unexpected visitors frequently arrive at the home of Roger Howes in the story "Artist at Home"?
Essay Topic 1
"Wash" is a story about race relations on slave plantations. First, compare/contrast the way white slaves and black slaves are treated on the plantation. How does this unbalanced treatment affect Wash's life? Then compare/contrast the way Wash hoped his master would treat his granddaughter with the way he actually treated her. How did this unexpected treatment lead Wash to commit double murder?
Essay Topic 2
"Elly" is a classic story about the struggle between old and young. First, describe the way the elderly are depicted in this story and compare/contrast that to the way youth is depicted in this story. Then explain what caused the rift between Elly and her grandmother. Finally, describe the consequences of Elly's youthful antics on the lives of her loved ones.
Essay Topic 3
The story "Hair" is about debt and love. First, describe the two great loves in barber Hawkshaw's life. What promises did Hawkshaw make to his fiance, and how did those promises affect his life? Finally, explain how in paying back the mortgage on his fiance's home, Hawkshaw paid the debt owed on his heart.
This section contains 973 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)