|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Sam Father's real birth name?
2. What is Sam Fathers' heritage in the story "A Justice"?
3. In "A Bear Hunt," which part of the town do all the children think is haunted?
4. How many pilots make up the stunt team in the story "Death Drag"?
5. What is Emily Grierson's initial response after her father dies?
Short Essay Questions
1. What series of events takes place when Minnie realizes that there are mules in her yard in the story of the same name?
2. Why do the Jefferson townsfolk pity Emily Grierson after her father dies?
3. Why is Res Grier accused of arson?
4. Why is Abner Snope ordered to pay de Spain bushels of corn, and what is Abner's reaction to this order?
5. What happens when Minnie Cooper attempts to leave her home on the day after the attack in "Dry September"?
6. Why do the Indians come to the president's office seeking advice in the story "Lo"?
7. In the story "Lo," why is the president uncomfortable with the Native Americans who come to him for advice?
8. What of Hawkshaw's behavior do the townsfolk find unusual in the story "Hair"?
9. What request does Pappy make of Doom when he returns to the tribe, and what is Doom's response?
10. How does Lucius Provine treat the black people in his neighborhood when he is a child?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The story "Victory" is all about the effects of war. First, describe the effects war has on the community as a whole in this story. Then compare/contrast that to the effects war has on the individual in this story. Finally, describe what you think Faulkner's message about war is through the example of this story.
Essay Topic 2
In the story "Beyond," there is a baby covered in scars that is in the afterlife with Judge. First, describe the physicality of the scarred baby. How did he get his scars? Then explain they symbolism of the scarred baby in Judge's life. What lesson is meant to learn from this baby?
Essay Topic 3
The story "The Tall Men" deals with the realization that the motivations of actions are sometimes misunderstood. First, explain what the motivations of the marshal were when he came to arrest the two young boys. Then explain what the marshal assumed the motivations of the young boys were in refusing to sign up for service. Finally, explain what the marshal learned about the human condition and what motivates us all.
This section contains 971 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)