|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the father of the two young boys tell them to do when he sees the party that has come to arrest them?
2. In "A Bear Hunt," which part of the town do all the children think is haunted?
3. What is the name of the Indian man Herman Basket's sister marries?
4. Which of the following adjectives best describes Flem Snopes in the story "Centaur in Brass"?
5. When Doom wants to settle an argument between two men in his tribe, what type of fight does he arrange?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Res Grier accused of arson?
2. How does Lucius Provine treat the black people in his neighborhood when he is a child?
3. What happens when young Georgie goes to visit his Uncle Rodney in the story "That Will Be Fine"?
4. Why are the investigator and the marshal at the home of two young boys in the story "The Tall Men"?
5. Why are the two Indians in "Red Leaves" searching for their chief's slave?
6. How does Nancy react to life in jail in the story "The Evening Sun"?
7. How does McLendon treat women in the story "Dry September"?
8. Why does Res Grier offer a hound dog to two of his co-workers?
9. Why is Abner Snope ordered to pay de Spain bushels of corn, and what is Abner's reaction to this order?
10. How does the father in "The Tall Men" cope with the surgery he must undergo before his sons are taken away from him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the story "Honor" a woman falls in love with two men and begins an extramarital affair. First, compare/contrast the relationships the woman has with both her husband and her lover. Then explain why the husband decided to divorce his wife and let her marry her lover. Finally, explain which, if any, characters in this story acted with honor and give at least two examples that support your argument.
Essay Topic 2
The story "The Tall Men" deals with the realization that the motivations of actions are sometimes misunderstood. First, explain what the motivations of the marshal were when he came to arrest the two young boys. Then explain what the marshal assumed the motivations of the young boys were in refusing to sign up for service. Finally, explain what the marshal learned about the human condition and what motivates us all.
Essay Topic 3
"Red Leaves" is the first story in the collection to deal with the issue of slavery from the Native American point of view. First, explain how the Native Americans in this story treat their slaves. Then, compare/contrast this treatment to the way the white men in Faulkner's collection treat their slaves. Why is "Red Leaves" an important story within this collection?
This section contains 971 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)