|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of the story "Elly," which of the following is the only character who is still alive?
2. What happens to Minnie on the first day she leaves her apartment after the attack?
3. Which of the following facts about Uncle Willy is NOT true?
4. Which of the following stories is the sequel to "Two Soldiers"?
5. What is the name of Sam Fathers' true father?
Short Essay Questions
1. Whom does the desirable woman in "A Courtship" decide to marry, and how does she make her decision?
2. What request does Pappy make of Doom when he returns to the tribe, and what is Doom's response?
3. How is Sarty involved in his father's death?
4. In the story "A Justice," why does Doom leave his tribe and where does he go?
5. What happens to Lucius Provine when he travels to the Indian reservation?
6. Why is Abner Snope ordered to pay de Spain bushels of corn, and what is Abner's reaction to this order?
7. In the story "Lo," why is the president uncomfortable with the Native Americans who come to him for advice?
8. What series of events takes place when Minnie realizes that there are mules in her yard in the story of the same name?
9. Why does Res Grier offer a hound dog to two of his co-workers?
10. What mysterious events began to occur once Doom arrives back at his Indian tribe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Faulkner decides to end his collection with the moving short story "Carcassonne." In it, the body and soul argue about the true form of death. First, describe both the body and the soul's argument as to what death truly is like. Then explain why Faulkner might have chosen to end his collection with this story, and how it unifies the collection as a whole.
Essay Topic 2
The story "Hair" is about debt and love. First, describe the two great loves in barber Hawkshaw's life. What promises did Hawkshaw make to his fiance, and how did those promises affect his life? Finally, explain how in paying back the mortgage on his fiance's home, Hawkshaw paid the debt owed on his heart.
Essay Topic 3
In the story "Beyond," there is a baby covered in scars that is in the afterlife with Judge. First, describe the physicality of the scarred baby. How did he get his scars? Then explain they symbolism of the scarred baby in Judge's life. What lesson is meant to learn from this baby?
This section contains 987 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)