Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the Native Americans want to hold a trial for the chief's nephew in the white man's court?
2. What does the father of the two young boys tell them to do when he sees the party that has come to arrest them?
3. In the story "Red Leaves," how many Indians are searching for the chief's slave?
4. What is the only thing Emily's father leaves to her in his will?
5. What part of the black men's clothing did Lucius Provine burn when he was a child?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the sympathy of the Confederate soldier his downfall in the story "Mountain Victory"?
2. On what image does Faulkner end the story "Crevasse"?
3. How does the Judge realize that he is dead in the story "Beyond"?
4. Why is Res Grier accused of arson?
5. In the story "Lo," why is the president uncomfortable with the Native Americans who come to him for advice?
6. Why does Alec Gray kill his commanding officer?
7. What happens to the traveling soldiers who are trying to escape enemy fire in the story "Crevasse"?
8. How does Harrison Blair's wife feel about him?
9. What is life like for Alec Gray after he leaves the Army?
10. Why do unexpected visitors frequently arrive at the home of Roger Howes in the story "Artist at Home"?
In the story "Honor" a woman falls in love with two men and begins an extramarital affair. First, compare/contrast the relationships the woman has with both her husband and her lover. Then explain why the husband decided to divorce his wife and let her marry her lover. Finally, explain which, if any, characters in this story acted with honor and give at least two examples that support your argument.
"Pennsylvania Station" is a story about the loss of money. First, describe how the mother in this story intended to spend her money and why she saved her income every year. Then, explain what happened to the money the mother saved. Finally, explain why the man telling the story is bankrupt and how he survives in his homelessness.
In the story "Beyond," there is a baby covered in scars that is in the afterlife with Judge. First, describe the physicality of the scarred baby. How did he get his scars? Then explain they symbolism of the scarred baby in Judge's life. What lesson is meant to learn from this baby?
This section contains 967 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)