|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the company Captain Warren pilots for in the story "Death Drag"?
2. Which of the following relatives does Elly live with in the story "Elly"?
3. What is the name of the man who is the rightful owner of the animal Res Grier is trying to sell to settle his debts?
4. What is Sam Father's real birth name?
5. What religious group attempts to save Willy's life by sending him to an asylum in the story "Uncle Willy"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the townsfolk find behind the locked door in Emily Grierson's home after she dies?
2. How does Pete's family react when he is killed in combat in the story "Shall Not Perish"?
3. Why do the Indians come to the president's office seeking advice in the story "Lo"?
4. How does Sam Fathers earn his birth name?
5. Why is Res Grier accused of arson?
6. What of Hawkshaw's behavior do the townsfolk find unusual in the story "Hair"?
7. How is the slave finally captured in the story "Red Leaves"?
8. Whom does the desirable woman in "A Courtship" decide to marry, and how does she make her decision?
9. Why do the Jefferson townsfolk pity Emily Grierson after her father dies?
10. What happens when Flem Snopes attempts to turn his two black co-workers against each other in the story "Centaur in Brass"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Lo" is the only story that deals with a real, historical character in its depiction of an American president. First, describe the way the president was portrayed in this story. Then compare/contrast our country's leader to the Indian tribe leader in the story. To which group does Faulkner's historical sympathy seem to lie? How can you tell?
Essay Topic 2
In the story "Honor" a woman falls in love with two men and begins an extramarital affair. First, compare/contrast the relationships the woman has with both her husband and her lover. Then explain why the husband decided to divorce his wife and let her marry her lover. Finally, explain which, if any, characters in this story acted with honor and give at least two examples that support your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Faulkner decides to end his collection with the moving short story "Carcassonne." In it, the body and soul argue about the true form of death. First, describe both the body and the soul's argument as to what death truly is like. Then explain why Faulkner might have chosen to end his collection with this story, and how it unifies the collection as a whole.
This section contains 966 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)