|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the story "A Courtship," what does David Hogganbeck drive for a living?
2. What happens to Minnie on the first day she leaves her apartment after the attack?
3. After Pete is killed in combat, how long do his parents take off of work to mourn for him?
4. Why does the president decide to hold a "mock trial" for the Indian chief's nephew?
5. Who shoots Abner Snope?
Short Essay Questions
1. What competition do Ikkemotubbe and David Hogganbeck find themselves in in the story "A Courtship"?
2. Why does Res Grier offer a hound dog to two of his co-workers?
3. Whom does the desirable woman in "A Courtship" decide to marry, and how does she make her decision?
4. How does the father in "The Tall Men" cope with the surgery he must undergo before his sons are taken away from him?
5. Why is Res Grier accused of arson?
6. What happens when young Georgie goes to visit his Uncle Rodney in the story "That Will Be Fine"?
7. What do the townsfolk find behind the locked door in Emily Grierson's home after she dies?
8. Why is Lucius Provine sent to see the Indian doctor while out on a bear hunt?
9. How does Lucius Provine treat the black people in his neighborhood when he is a child?
10. How does McLendon treat women in the story "Dry September"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do you think is more important to Sarty in the story "Barn Burning," love or truth? Give at least two examples of each of these themes as depicted in Sarty's relationship with his father. Then describe Sarty's struggle to balance love and truth, and how this struggle led to his maturity.
Essay Topic 2
How did Mannie's husband's death in the story "Mule in the Yard" incite a sequence of tragic events? What message is Faulkner sending the reader about revenge through this cautionary tale? Finally, what were the effects of revenge in the lives of both Mannie and Snopes?
Essay Topic 3
In the stories "Two Soldiers" and "Shall Not Perish," Faulkner plays with the contrast between the rich and poor during the Civil War. First, give a description of the way the poor families are portrayed in these two stories and compare/contrast this with the description of the rich families. Then argue which of these groups of people Faulkner sympathizes with more, and give at least two examples from the text to back up your argument.
This section contains 995 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)