|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long did Doom live away from his tribe?
2. Where are the Indians searching for the slave?
3. What is Emily Grierson's initial response after her father dies?
4. Who is responsible for the mysterious deaths of the chief and all his successors?
5. Who shoots Abner Snope?
Short Essay Questions
1. What mysterious events began to occur once Doom arrives back at his Indian tribe?
2. What happens when Minnie Cooper attempts to leave her home on the day after the attack in "Dry September"?
3. How does Lucius Provine treat the black people in his neighborhood when he is a child?
4. What rumor spreads through town about Minnie Cooper, and how do the townsfolk react in the story "Dry September"?
5. Why is Abner Snope ordered to pay de Spain bushels of corn, and what is Abner's reaction to this order?
6. What request does Pappy make of Doom when he returns to the tribe, and what is Doom's response?
7. How does Sam Fathers earn his birth name?
8. Why is Lucius Provine sent to see the Indian doctor while out on a bear hunt?
9. How does McLendon treat women in the story "Dry September"?
10. In the story "Lo," why is the president uncomfortable with the Native Americans who come to him for advice?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The story "The Tall Men" deals with the realization that the motivations of actions are sometimes misunderstood. First, explain what the motivations of the marshal were when he came to arrest the two young boys. Then explain what the marshal assumed the motivations of the young boys were in refusing to sign up for service. Finally, explain what the marshal learned about the human condition and what motivates us all.
Essay Topic 2
In the story "Beyond," there is a baby covered in scars that is in the afterlife with Judge. First, describe the physicality of the scarred baby. How did he get his scars? Then explain they symbolism of the scarred baby in Judge's life. What lesson is meant to learn from this baby?
Essay Topic 3
Faulkner decides to end his collection with the moving short story "Carcassonne." In it, the body and soul argue about the true form of death. First, describe both the body and the soul's argument as to what death truly is like. Then explain why Faulkner might have chosen to end his collection with this story, and how it unifies the collection as a whole.
This section contains 943 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)