|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is responsible for the mysterious deaths of the chief and all his successors?
2. How long did Doom live away from his tribe?
3. Which of the following metals is used to make the whistle in Flem Snopes' story?
4. What religious group attempts to save Willy's life by sending him to an asylum in the story "Uncle Willy"?
5. In the story "Red Leaves," how many Indians are searching for the chief's slave?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are the investigator and the marshal at the home of two young boys in the story "The Tall Men"?
2. What happens to Lucius Provine when he travels to the Indian reservation?
3. What mysterious events began to occur once Doom arrives back at his Indian tribe?
4. What happens when Flem Snopes attempts to turn his two black co-workers against each other in the story "Centaur in Brass"?
5. Why do the Jefferson townsfolk pity Emily Grierson after her father dies?
6. In the story "Lo," why is the president uncomfortable with the Native Americans who come to him for advice?
7. What happens when Minnie Cooper attempts to leave her home on the day after the attack in "Dry September"?
8. How does Lucius Provine treat the black people in his neighborhood when he is a child?
9. How is Sarty involved in his father's death?
10. What rumor spreads through town about Minnie Cooper, and how do the townsfolk react in the story "Dry September"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The story "The Tall Men" deals with the realization that the motivations of actions are sometimes misunderstood. First, explain what the motivations of the marshal were when he came to arrest the two young boys. Then explain what the marshal assumed the motivations of the young boys were in refusing to sign up for service. Finally, explain what the marshal learned about the human condition and what motivates us all.
Essay Topic 2
In the story "Honor" a woman falls in love with two men and begins an extramarital affair. First, compare/contrast the relationships the woman has with both her husband and her lover. Then explain why the husband decided to divorce his wife and let her marry her lover. Finally, explain which, if any, characters in this story acted with honor and give at least two examples that support your argument.
Essay Topic 3
The moral of the story "Bear Hunt" is that the past can come back to haunt you. First, explain Lucius Provine's past. Then explain how it came back to haunt him. Finally, explain the lesson Lucius learned through his experiences on the bear hunt.
This section contains 902 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)