|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What request does Pappy make of Doom when Doom returns to his tribe?
2. What part of de Spain's house does Abner allegedly ruin in "Barn Burning"?
3. How many pilots make up the stunt team in the story "Death Drag"?
4. Before he left the tribe, how was Doom treated by the rest of his tribe?
5. What is the name of the leader of the mob that kills Minnie Cooper's attacker in the story "Dry September"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are the investigator and the marshal at the home of two young boys in the story "The Tall Men"?
2. Whom does the desirable woman in "A Courtship" decide to marry, and how does she make her decision?
3. How does the father in "The Tall Men" cope with the surgery he must undergo before his sons are taken away from him?
4. How does Lucius Provine treat the black people in his neighborhood when he is a child?
5. In the story "Lo," why is the president uncomfortable with the Native Americans who come to him for advice?
6. How is the slave finally captured in the story "Red Leaves"?
7. How does Sam Fathers earn his birth name?
8. Why are the two Indians in "Red Leaves" searching for their chief's slave?
9. Why does Res Grier offer a hound dog to two of his co-workers?
10. Why is Res Grier accused of arson?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The story "Victory" is all about the effects of war. First, describe the effects war has on the community as a whole in this story. Then compare/contrast that to the effects war has on the individual in this story. Finally, describe what you think Faulkner's message about war is through the example of this story.
Essay Topic 2
What do you think is more important to Sarty in the story "Barn Burning," love or truth? Give at least two examples of each of these themes as depicted in Sarty's relationship with his father. Then describe Sarty's struggle to balance love and truth, and how this struggle led to his maturity.
Essay Topic 3
In the story "Honor" a woman falls in love with two men and begins an extramarital affair. First, compare/contrast the relationships the woman has with both her husband and her lover. Then explain why the husband decided to divorce his wife and let her marry her lover. Finally, explain which, if any, characters in this story acted with honor and give at least two examples that support your argument.
This section contains 907 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)