|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the story "Lo," how does the president spy on the two Indians near his office?
(a) Through the telegraph system.
(b) Through the cracks in the fence.
(c) With a cup to the door.
(d) With a mirror.
2. What devastating fact does Pappy find out about the black woman he is in love with?
(a) She is racist.
(b) She does not love him.
(c) She is barren.
(d) She is already married.
3. What is the name of the Indian man Herman Basket's sister marries?
4. Where is David Hogganbeck when he nearly loses his life in competition?
(a) In a cave.
(b) In the jungle.
(c) On a mountaintop.
(d) On a riverboat.
5. At the end of the story "Lo," what does the president order his men to do?
(a) Fear the Indians.
(b) Befriend the Indians.
(c) Kill the Indians.
(d) Ignore the Indians.
Short Answer Questions
1. What about the little orphan girl Hawkshaw meets is unusually colored?
2. Which of the following ailments plagues Lucius while he is out on the bear hunt?
3. Where are the Indians searching for the slave?
4. What is the name of the company Captain Warren pilots for in the story "Death Drag"?
5. Which of the following about Indian culture does NOT embarrass the president?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Res Grier accused of arson?
2. Why are the investigator and the marshal at the home of two young boys in the story "The Tall Men"?
3. What of Hawkshaw's behavior do the townsfolk find unusual in the story "Hair"?
4. How does McLendon treat women in the story "Dry September"?
5. How is the slave finally captured in the story "Red Leaves"?
6. In the story "Lo," why is the president uncomfortable with the Native Americans who come to him for advice?
7. What happens when Flem Snopes attempts to turn his two black co-workers against each other in the story "Centaur in Brass"?
8. In the story "A Justice," why does Doom leave his tribe and where does he go?
9. Why do the Indians come to the president's office seeking advice in the story "Lo"?
10. What rumor spreads through town about Minnie Cooper, and how do the townsfolk react in the story "Dry September"?
This section contains 907 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)