|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What part of the father's body in "The Tall Men" has been injured in the war?
(a) His stomach.
(b) His arm.
(c) His leg.
(d) His head.
2. What crime is Res Grier accused of in the end of the story "Shingles for the Lord"?
3. Whom does Res Grier take with him when he returns to work on the church in the middle of the night?
(a) His cousin.
(b) His son.
(c) His brother.
(d) His nephew.
4. How did Hawkshaw's fiance die?
(a) From the fever.
(b) From the flu.
(c) From the plague.
(d) From the pox.
5. After Pete is killed in combat, how long do his parents take off of work to mourn for him?
(a) Four days.
(b) Three days.
(c) One day.
(d) Two days.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hawkshaw do for a living in the story "Hair"?
2. What about the little orphan girl Hawkshaw meets is unusually colored?
3. Who suggests that Lucius go visit the Indians to cure his ailment?
4. According to Indian tradition, what must the chief's slave do after the chief dies?
5. Which of the following holidays is Georgie anxiously anticipating in the story "That Will Be Fine"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does McLendon treat women in the story "Dry September"?
2. What is life like for Alec Gray after he leaves the Army?
3. What happens when Minnie Cooper attempts to leave her home on the day after the attack in "Dry September"?
4. How does the Appalachian family treat the Confederate soldier and his servant in the story "Mountain Victory"?
5. How does the American soldier Borgard meet the young English soldier in the story "Turnabout"?
6. How does Satoris get back at Spoomer for stealing his woman in the story "All the Dead Pilots"?
7. What rumor spreads through town about Minnie Cooper, and how do the townsfolk react in the story "Dry September"?
8. Why are the two Indians in "Red Leaves" searching for their chief's slave?
9. How does Amy's life change after the death of her first child in the story "The Brooch"?
10. How does the father in "The Tall Men" cope with the surgery he must undergo before his sons are taken away from him?
This section contains 900 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)