Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the Native Americans want to hold a trial for the chief's nephew in the white man's court?
(a) Out of curiosity.
(b) Out of fear.
(c) Out of respect.
(d) So he will be properly punished.
2. What does the father of the two young boys tell them to do when he sees the party that has come to arrest them?
(a) He tells them to pray.
(b) He tells them run.
(c) He tells them to fight.
(d) He tells them join.
3. In the story "Red Leaves," how many Indians are searching for the chief's slave?
4. What is the only thing Emily's father leaves to her in his will?
(a) A horse.
(b) A servant.
(c) A house.
(d) A bank account full of money.
5. What part of the black men's clothing did Lucius Provine burn when he was a child?
(a) Their collars.
(b) Their bow ties.
(c) Their socks.
(d) Their hats.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many men is Res Grier working with to reshingle the church in "Shingles for God"?
2. What building is Res Grier in charge of reshingling?
3. How does Paul de Montigny feel about marrying Elly?
4. What is the name of the black man who is killed for assaulting Minnie Cooper in the story "Dry September"?
5. Whom does Res Grier take with him when he returns to work on the church in the middle of the night?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the sympathy of the Confederate soldier his downfall in the story "Mountain Victory"?
2. On what image does Faulkner end the story "Crevasse"?
3. How does the Judge realize that he is dead in the story "Beyond"?
4. Why is Res Grier accused of arson?
5. In the story "Lo," why is the president uncomfortable with the Native Americans who come to him for advice?
6. Why does Alec Gray kill his commanding officer?
7. What happens to the traveling soldiers who are trying to escape enemy fire in the story "Crevasse"?
8. How does Harrison Blair's wife feel about him?
9. What is life like for Alec Gray after he leaves the Army?
10. Why do unexpected visitors frequently arrive at the home of Roger Howes in the story "Artist at Home"?
This section contains 918 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)