|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Cousin Melisandre attempt to hide the valuables when the Yankees arrive?
(a) In the outhouse.
(b) In the well.
(c) In the apple orchard.
(d) In the coal cellar.
2. What sad event forces Amy out of the house to take up a life of partying?
(a) She loses her job.
(b) She gets a divorce.
(c) Her mother dies.
(d) Her baby dies.
3. On what type of boat does the English soldier take Borgard?
(a) A torpedo boat.
(b) A submarine.
(c) A sailboat.
(d) A canoe.
4. How does Alec Gray react when he is sent to spend time in the penal battalion?
(a) He punches his commanding officer.
(b) He shouts at his commanding officer.
(c) He takes the punishment silently.
(d) He kills his commanding officer.
5. In the story "Beyond," what is significant about the baby that Judge meets?
(a) It is covered in scars.
(b) It has a mouthful of teeth.
(c) It only has one arm.
(d) It is unable to stop crying.
6. In the story "All the Dead Pilots," what does Spoomer steal from his friend Satoris?
(a) His girlfriend.
(b) His socks.
(c) His gun.
(d) His wallet.
7. How does Boyd's mother find out that Amy has lost her brooch?
(a) By reading Amy's diary.
(b) Through town gossip.
(c) By snooping in Amy's jewelry chest.
(d) Through a telephone call.
8. Which of the following adjectives best describes the soldier named Borgard in the story "Turnabout"?
9. What type of animal does Spoomer keep as a pet?
(a) A rabbit.
(b) A lizard.
(c) A cat.
(d) A dog.
10. Which of the following words completes this quote from the story "Carcassonne": "Death is ___________ a galloping buckskin horse."
11. Which of the following events does Roger Howes use as subject matter to create his newest masterpiece?
(a) His daughter's death.
(b) His son's first steps.
(c) His wife's affair.
(d) His own decent into madness.
12. At the end of the story "Crevasse," what is the injured man in the corner doing?
13. Of which of the following things is Louise afraid?
(b) The dark.
(c) Small spaces.
14. What does Danny send to his mother's funeral, which greatly impresses the narrator of this story?
(a) A handwritten card.
(b) A bouquet of flowers.
(c) A box of chocolates.
(d) A wreath.
15. When Ewing leaves Nebraska, where does he go?
Short Answer Questions
1. When Spoomer is meeting his woman, where does Satoris find them?
2. With what part of an airplane is the lover in the story "Honor" concerned?
3. Where does Borgard find the young, drunken English soldier?
4. When Alec Gray loses his job, where is he forced to bathe?
5. How does Howard Boyd's mother feel about Howard's wife?
This section contains 487 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)