|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom does Res Grier take with him when he returns to work on the church in the middle of the night?
(a) His nephew.
(b) His son.
(c) His brother.
(d) His cousin.
2. Why does the president decide to hold a "mock trial" for the Indian chief's nephew?
(a) To punish the nephew to the fullest extent of the law.
(b) To appease the townsfolk.
(c) To get the Indians off his land.
(d) To fool the Indians into thinking that he understands the law.
3. How does Paul de Montigny feel about marrying Elly?
(a) He desperately wants to marry her.
(b) He is not sure if he wants to marry her.
(c) He is apathetic about marrying her.
(d) He does not want to marry her.
4. Who is responsible for the mysterious deaths of the chief and all his successors?
(b) Sam Feathers.
5. In the story "A Courtship," what does David Hogganbeck drive for a living?
(a) A steamboat.
(b) A tractor.
(c) A fighter jet.
(d) A taxi cab.
6. Which of the following ailments plagues Lucius while he is out on the bear hunt?
(a) Shortness of breath.
7. What liquor does the father in "The Tall Men" drink for anesthetic before his surgery?
8. What is the name of Sam Fathers' true father?
(a) Sam Senior.
9. Which of the following government officials does NOT arrive at the home of the two boys in "The Tall Men"?
(a) A recruiter.
(b) A parson.
(c) A marshal.
(d) An investigator.
10. Of what crime is the nephew of the Indian chief in the story "Lo" accused?
11. In the story "Red Leaves," how many Indians are searching for the chief's slave?
12. What part of de Spain's property does Abner burn down in a rage of revenge?
(a) His church.
(b) His barn.
(c) His house.
(d) His fields.
13. Which of Mannie's relatives is killed driving mules while working for Snopes?
(a) Her son.
(b) Her husband.
(c) Her brother.
(d) Her father.
14. Which of the following adjectives best describes Flem Snopes in the story "Centaur in Brass"?
15. What does Abner Snope do for a living?
(a) He is an architect.
(b) He is a farmer.
(c) He is a doctor.
(d) He is a teacher.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of the story "Lo," what does the president order his men to do?
2. What animal does Doom kill using a salt he has brought back from the white man's land?
3. After Pete is killed in combat, how long do his parents take off of work to mourn for him?
4. How long did Doom live away from his tribe?
5. When Doom wants to settle an argument between two men in his tribe, what engineering challenge does he create?
This section contains 490 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)