|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Pete's younger brother when he decides he wants to join the Army?
(a) 10 years old.
(b) 6 years old.
(c) 8 years old.
(d) 12 years old.
2. Of what crime is the nephew of the Indian chief in the story "Lo" accused?
3. What devastating fact does Pappy find out about the black woman he is in love with?
(a) She is racist.
(b) She does not love him.
(c) She is barren.
(d) She is already married.
4. How does the servant at the rich family's home treat Pete's family when they come offering comfort?
(a) He is rude to them.
(b) He confuses them.
(c) He is angry with them.
(d) He is kind to them.
5. Where are the Indians searching for the slave?
(a) In the desert.
(b) In the woods.
(c) In the mountains.
(d) On the plantation.
6. Although she is beautiful, which of the following adjectives best describes Herman Basket's sister?
7. What happens to Minnie on the first day she leaves her apartment after the attack?
(a) She has a nervous breakdown.
(b) She is cheered as a hero.
(c) She is beaten up by an angry mob.
(d) She is ignored by everyone she encounters.
8. Whom does Res Grier take with him when he returns to work on the church in the middle of the night?
(a) His son.
(b) His brother.
(c) His cousin.
(d) His nephew.
9. After he left his tribe, where did Doom settle?
(a) In San Francisco.
(b) In Austin.
(c) In New Orleans.
(d) In Seattle.
10. In the story "A Courtship," what does David Hogganbeck drive for a living?
(a) A taxi cab.
(b) A tractor.
(c) A fighter jet.
(d) A steamboat.
11. In "A Bear Hunt," which part of the town do all the children think is haunted?
(a) The church.
(b) The asylum.
(c) The cemetary.
(d) The Indian burial ground.
12. What part of the black men's clothing did Lucius Provine burn when he was a child?
(a) Their bow ties.
(b) Their collars.
(c) Their hats.
(d) Their socks.
13. What does the father of the two young boys tell them to do when he sees the party that has come to arrest them?
(a) He tells them to fight.
(b) He tells them join.
(c) He tells them to pray.
(d) He tells them run.
14. What part of the father's body in "The Tall Men" has been injured in the war?
(a) His stomach.
(b) His leg.
(c) His head.
(d) His arm.
15. Which of the following vehicles does Uncle Willy crash, killing himself?
(a) A train.
(b) An airplane.
(c) A car.
(d) A boat.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who suggests that Lucius go visit the Indians to cure his ailment?
2. What weapon does Pete's younger brother use to attack the bus depot worker and the Army lieutenant?
3. When Doom wants to settle an argument between two men in his tribe, what type of fight does he arrange?
4. Before he left the tribe, how was Doom treated by the rest of his tribe?
5. What religious group attempts to save Willy's life by sending him to an asylum in the story "Uncle Willy"?
This section contains 519 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)