|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Doom wants to settle an argument between two men in his tribe, what engineering challenge does he create?
(a) A teepee-building competition.
(b) A boat-building competition.
(c) A fence-building competition.
(d) A bridge-building competition.
2. Where is David Hogganbeck when he nearly loses his life in competition?
(a) In a cave.
(b) On a riverboat.
(c) In the jungle.
(d) On a mountaintop.
3. What part of de Spain's house does Abner allegedly ruin in "Barn Burning"?
(a) His drapes.
(b) His carpet.
(c) His dining room table.
(d) His living room sofa.
4. What weapon does Pete's younger brother use to attack the bus depot worker and the Army lieutenant?
(a) A gun.
(b) A lead pipe.
(c) A knife.
(d) A grenade.
5. During what month of the year does Hawkshaw disappear from town for two weeks?
6. What is Sam Father's real birth name?
7. What is the name of the leader of the mob that kills Minnie Cooper's attacker in the story "Dry September"?
8. At the end of the story "Elly," which of the following is the only character who is still alive?
(b) None of the above, all the characters die.
(d) Paul de Montigny.
9. What building is Res Grier in charge of reshingling?
(a) The hospital.
(b) The police office.
(c) The church.
(d) The school.
10. According to Indian tradition, what must the chief's slave do after the chief dies?
(a) Be sold to another Indian chief.
(b) Be buried next to the chief.
(c) Be banished into the wilderness.
(d) Marry the chief's wife.
11. What is the name of the man who is the rightful owner of the animal Res Grier is trying to sell to settle his debts?
12. Which of the following adjectives best describes Flem Snopes in the story "Centaur in Brass"?
13. What is Emily Grierson's initial response after her father dies?
(a) She cries continually for three days.
(b) She decides not to go into mourning.
(c) She throws a party, celebrating her father's life.
(d) She denies that her father is dead.
14. How did Hawkshaw's fiance die?
(a) From the flu.
(b) From the fever.
(c) From the plague.
(d) From the pox.
15. Whom does Res Grier take with him when he returns to work on the church in the middle of the night?
(a) His son.
(b) His nephew.
(c) His cousin.
(d) His brother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What request does Pappy make of Doom when Doom returns to his tribe?
2. What vegetable is Abner Snope ordered to use to pay back his debts?
3. Where are the Indians searching for the slave?
4. How do Pete and his brother hear about the war that is tearing their country apart?
5. Which of the following government officials does NOT arrive at the home of the two boys in "The Tall Men"?
This section contains 501 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)