|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What devastating fact does Pappy find out about the black woman he is in love with?
(a) She is barren.
(b) She is already married.
(c) She is racist.
(d) She does not love him.
2. How many men is Res Grier working with to reshingle the church in "Shingles for God"?
3. How does Paul de Montigny feel about marrying Elly?
(a) He desperately wants to marry her.
(b) He is apathetic about marrying her.
(c) He is not sure if he wants to marry her.
(d) He does not want to marry her.
4. When Res Grier is waiting for his friend to return from fox hunting, how late is he when he finally arrives at work?
(a) Eight hours late.
(b) Two hours late.
(c) Six hours late.
(d) Four hours late.
5. What animal does Doom kill using a salt he has brought back from the white man's land?
(a) A bird.
(b) A puppy.
(c) A fish.
(d) A kitten.
6. Which of the following holidays is Georgie anxiously anticipating in the story "That Will Be Fine"?
(d) His birthday.
7. Of what crime is the nephew of the Indian chief in the story "Lo" accused?
8. What part of de Spain's house does Abner allegedly ruin in "Barn Burning"?
(a) His drapes.
(b) His living room sofa.
(c) His carpet.
(d) His dining room table.
9. How old is the young boy to whom Sam Fathers is telling his life story?
(a) 8 years old.
(b) 12 years old.
(c) 14 years old.
(d) 10 years old.
10. According to Indian tradition, what must the chief's slave do after the chief dies?
(a) Be buried next to the chief.
(b) Be sold to another Indian chief.
(c) Marry the chief's wife.
(d) Be banished into the wilderness.
11. What is Emily Grierson's initial response after her father dies?
(a) She decides not to go into mourning.
(b) She cries continually for three days.
(c) She denies that her father is dead.
(d) She throws a party, celebrating her father's life.
12. What crime is Res Grier accused of in the end of the story "Shingles for the Lord"?
13. At the end of the story "Lo," what does the president order his men to do?
(a) Fear the Indians.
(b) Kill the Indians.
(c) Ignore the Indians.
(d) Befriend the Indians.
14. How did Hawkshaw's fiance die?
(a) From the pox.
(b) From the flu.
(c) From the plague.
(d) From the fever.
15. Who shoots Abner Snope?
(a) His wife.
(b) His son.
(c) His boss.
(d) His best friend.
Short Answer Questions
1. During what month of the year does Hawkshaw disappear from town for two weeks?
2. What is it about Paul de Montigny that makes him an unsuitable boyfriend for Elly?
3. What weapon does Pete's younger brother use to attack the bus depot worker and the Army lieutenant?
4. Before he left the tribe, how was Doom treated by the rest of his tribe?
5. What building is Res Grier in charge of reshingling?
This section contains 507 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)