|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "A Prayer," what is the narrator's attitude toward his prayer?
(a) He repudiates it.
(b) He doesn't think much about it: he says the words with no thought.
(c) He thinks it will make sure he is saved.
(d) He hopes it will give him worldly riches.
2. In "Unworthy," what does the rest of the gang call Fischbein?
(b) Little Russian.
(c) The Tiger.
(d) Iron Fist.
3. In "Parable of Cervantes and Don Quixote," Cervantes can best be described as which of the following?
(a) Unaware of the future recognition of his fictional character, Don Quixote.
(b) Young and arrogant.
(d) Despondent, for he believes art is useless.
4. In "The Other," who does a 70-year-old Borges converse with?
(b) Edgar Allan Poe.
(c) His immortal soul.
(d) An 18year-old version of himself.
5. In "Dreamtigers," the protagonist can see only little tigers, what kind does he want to see?
(a) He doesn't want to see any tigers.
(b) Tigers with mirrors around their necks.
(c) The Siberian tiger.
(d) Supernatural tigers.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following best describes the theme of "Mutations"?
2. In "Brodie's Report," who are the Yahoos?
3. In "August 25, 1983," what is the young Borges told?
4. In "The Duel," though friends, Clara and Marta compete at what activity?
5. In "The Interloper," which of the following best characterizes the treatment of Julia by the two brothers?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "The Interloper," do the Nelson brothers have any redeeming qualities?
2. What does "Shakespeare's Memory" say about creating art?
3. In "Undr," is there any suggestion that "Undr" or "wonder" really isn't the only sacred word of the Urns?
4. In "Unworthy," why does Fischbein, a mild-mannered and bookish man, hang around a gang?
5. In "The Yellow Rose," what is Marino's epiphany?
6. Name some of the customs and beliefs of the strange group in "The Sect of Thirty."
7. In "The Plot," a gaucho dies in a similar fashion to Julius Caesar. What does this suggest about history?
8. In "The Book of Sand," what are the stages of the narrator's view toward the book?
9. In "The Gospel According to Mark," why do the Gutres want to crucify Baltasar?
10. In "The Ethnographer," why won't Fred Murdock reveal the secret of the Indian tribe to the professor?
This section contains 1,131 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)