|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "The Gospel According to Mark," what does Baltasar do with the Gutres' English Bible?
(a) Translates it into Spanish.
(b) Steals it and sells it.
(c) Hides it from them.
(d) Uses it to prove the Bible's many historical errors.
2. What idea is the main concern of "Paradiso, XXXI, 108"?
(a) Putting forth an analysis of Dante.
(b) Giving a detailed description of Heaven.
(c) Experiencing and seeing God.
(d) The absolute misery of life.
3. In "The Night of the Gits," who is The Captive?
(a) A prostitute.
(b) An innocent boy.
(c) A man entranced by literature.
(d) A war prisoner.
4. In "The Bribe," what does Dr. Winthrop have to do?
(a) Decide who will chair an academic conference.
(b) Kidnap Herbert Locke.
(c) Prove Shakespeare was not the sole author of his plays.
(d) Publish an article on Keats.
5. In "Museum--On Exactitude in Science," how big are the maps of the Empire?
(a) The size of regular maps.
(b) As big as the Empire.
(c) They can only be seen with microscopes.
(d) The size of stamps.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Avelino Arredondo," to what does Avelino belong?
2. In "The Bribe," what does Professor Einarrson write?
3. In "The Maker," what physical problem is the protagonist going through?
4. In "The Plot," a gaucho's murder is similar to the murder of what famous figure?
5. In "The Book of Sand," what does the narrator do with the book at the end?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "The Interloper," do the Nelson brothers have any redeeming qualities?
2. In "The Yellow Rose," what is Marino's epiphany?
3. In "The Plot," a gaucho dies in a similar fashion to Julius Caesar. What does this suggest about history?
4. What is the message about scientific precision in "Museum- On Exactitude in Science"?
5. In "The Gospel According to Mark," why do the Gutres want to crucify Baltasar?
6. In "Covered Mirrors," what is the narrator's attitude toward mirrors?
7. Is there a contradiction to the argument in "Argumentum Ornithologicum"?
8. In "The Duel," what is the nature of the duel between Clara and Marta?
9. In "The Book of Sand," what are the stages of the narrator's view toward the book?
10. In "The Ethnographer," why won't Fred Murdock reveal the secret of the Indian tribe to the professor?
This section contains 1,108 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)