|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "A Weary Man's Utopia," in what language does the narrator speak to the man from the future?
2. In "The Interloper," which of the following best characterizes the treatment of Julia by the two brothers?
(a) They are kind and doting.
(b) They treat her like an object.
(c) They do not even notice her presence.
(d) They are afraid of her.
3. In "Undr," though the people are barbarous, they claim to be what?
(a) Devout Muslims.
(b) Virtuous pagans.
4. In "Guayaquil," what do the narrator and Professor Zimmerman compete for?
(a) The head chair of their department.
(b) A letter from Simon Bolivar.
(c) A recently discovered Poe short story.
(d) A letter from Shakespeare to Anne Hathaway.
5. In "Parable of the Palace," why does the Emperor execute the poet?
(a) His poetry reveals the poets love of the Emperor's wife.
(b) For "stealing" his palace by capturing it in a poem.
(c) His poetry is awful.
(d) His poetry is simply empty flattery of the Emperor, and the Emperor hates flatterers.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Brodie's Report," who are the Yahoos?
2. In "Ulrikke," what happens between the narrator and Ulrikke?
3. "Brodie's Report" can best be described as which of the following?
4. In "Avelino Arredondo," whom does Avelino murder?
5. In "Parable of Cervantes and Don Quixote," Cervantes can best be described as which of the following?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Unworthy," why does Fischbein, a mild-mannered and bookish man, hang around a gang?
2. Name some of the customs and beliefs of the strange group in "The Sect of Thirty."
3. In "The Interloper," do the Nelson brothers have any redeeming qualities?
4. In "The Other," how does the elder Borges most successfully prove to the younger Borges that he is not dreaming their encounter?
5. What does "The Disk" say about greed?
6. In "The Rose of Paracelsus," why doesn't Paracelsus turn the ashes of the rose into a rose for the young man?
7. In "The Plot," a gaucho dies in a similar fashion to Julius Caesar. What does this suggest about history?
8. In "Borges and I," who are the two Borgeses, and what is the relationship between them?
9. In "A Weary Man's Utopia," is the society described by the old man really a "utopia"?
10. In "The Duel," what is the nature of the duel between Clara and Marta?
This section contains 1,098 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)