|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "The Circular Ruins," what does the sorcerer do in his dreams?
(a) Creates a man.
(b) Meets the most beautiful woman alive.
(c) Turns into an eagle.
(d) Rules the world.
2. In "The Library of Babel," what would the librarian most like to find?
(a) A mystical book said to explore God's reasoning for the destruction of the tower of Babel.
(b) A previously undiscovered version of "Macbeth."
(c) A book that summarizes all the other books.
(d) His own autobiography, that he suspects he has written, though he can't remember.
3. In "The Cruel Redeemer Lazarus Morell," what city does Lazarus plan to overtake?
(b) New Orleans.
(c) Baton Rouge.
4. In "The Story of the Warrior and the Captive Maiden," what is the attitude of the English woman who has married an Indian?
(a) She is thoroughly Indian herself now.
(b) She has gone mad.
(c) She despises Indians.
(d) She feigns assimilation with the Indians, but is still quite English.
5. In "The Secret Miracle," what happens to extend Hladik's life for a time?
(a) Hladik is able to escape for a while.
(b) God freezes time for a year.
(c) The Nazi's decide to postpone the execution.
(d) Due to a paperwork mistake, another man is killed instead of Hladik, and the mistake is not uncovered for some time.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Cult of the Phoenix," what objects are involved in their rituals?
2. In "The Widow Ching--Pirate," what occupation does Ching decide on, after she gives up pirating?
3. In "The South," where does Dahlmann go after he recovers from an illness?
4. In "The Immortal," which of the following best describes the result of attaining immortality?
5. In "Funes, His Memory," what does the narrator lend Funes?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "A Survey of the Works of Herbert Quain," why is Herbert upset at the success of "April March"?
2. In "Funes, His Memory," is Funes's prodigious memory a good thing or a bad thing?
3. "The Approach to Al-Mu'tasim" is a review of a book that does not exist. How is this significant?
4. In "The Dead Man," why does Bandeira allow Otalora to sleep with his woman and enjoy a sense of power?
5. How can the story "Tlon, Uqbar, and Orbis Tertius" best be described?
6. In "Man on the Pink Corner," why does Rosendo disappear and then come back when challenged by the Yardmaster?
7. In "The Wait," what does Villari do when his assassins actually show up? Why does he do this?
8. In "The Lottery in Babylon," what could the lottery symbolize?
9. In "Death and the Compass," how does Scharlach defeat Lonnrot?
10. In "The Circular Ruins," a man creates another man in a dream and ultimately discovers that he is a dream himself. Is Borges making a possible connection to the artistic process?
This section contains 1,226 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)