|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "The Dead Man," why does Otalora first have to leave Argentina?
(a) He seeks a cure for a strange disease.
(b) He has killed a man.
(c) He owes back taxes.
(d) He has slept with a woman whose husband pursues him.
2. In "The Chamber of Statues," where is the king warned not to go?
(a) To a bazaar.
(b) The Tower.
(c) On a ship.
3. In "Averroes' Search," who is Averroes?
(a) An Islamic philosopher.
(b) A cartographer.
(c) A shaman.
(d) An astrologer.
4. In "The Garden of Forking Paths," why does Dr. Yu murder Dr. Albert?
(a) To alert the German command where to bomb a city named Albert.
(b) Dr. Albert made derogatory remarks about Asians.
(c) He is insane.
(d) Dr. Albert stole his wife.
5. In "The Mirror of Ink," what does the ruler want the sorcerer to show him?
(a) The winner of a horse race.
(b) The secret activities of another ruler.
(c) The fate of his wife.
(d) The face of a man who is to be executed.
Short Answer Questions
1. Thematically, "Pierre Menard, Author of Quixote" deals most closely with which of the following?
2. In "The Garden of Forking Paths," who has Dr. Yu arrested?
3. In "The Secret Miracle," what happens to extend Hladik's life for a time?
4. In "The Theologians," what do the Monotoni believe?
5. In "The Secret Miracle," how is Hladik eventually killed?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Pierre Menard, Author of Quixote," Menard wants to rewrite Cervantes' novel word for word. Why does he want to pursue such an exercise in seeming futility?
2. In "A Biography of Tadeo Isidoro Cruz (1829-1874)," what makes Tadeo decide to fight for Martin Fierro, the man he pursues?
3. In "A Survey of the Works of Herbert Quain," why is Herbert upset at the success of "April March"?
4. In "The Writing of the God," why does Tzinacan decide to stay in his cell?
5. In "Man on the Pink Corner," why does Rosendo disappear and then come back when challenged by the Yardmaster?
6. In "Death and the Compass," how does Scharlach defeat Lonnrot?
7. Describe the significance in "The Shape of the Sword," of the last lines: "I denounced the man who protected me: I am Vincent Moon. Now despise me."
8. In "The Dead Man," why does Bandeira allow Otalora to sleep with his woman and enjoy a sense of power?
9. In "The Widow Ching--Pirate," Ching becomes a pirate, but does she have any virtuous qualities, even in this criminal profession?
10. In "The Improbable Impostor Tom Castro," what is Tom's relationship to Ebenezer Bogle?
This section contains 1,173 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)