|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Delia Elena San Marco," what does the narrator wonder after the death of his beloved?
(a) If her death was more painful than she let on.
(b) If she secretly despised him.
(c) Why he ever loved her in the first place.
(d) Whether he can speak to her soul again.
2. In "August 25, 1983," what is the young Borges told?
(a) He has committed blasphemy.
(b) He has never been a writer.
(c) He will write his great book.
(d) The time of his death.
3. In "The Bribe," what does Dr. Winthrop have to do?
(a) Publish an article on Keats.
(b) Kidnap Herbert Locke.
(c) Prove Shakespeare was not the sole author of his plays.
(d) Decide who will chair an academic conference.
4. In "Undr," what does Ulf do to avoid execution?
(a) Volunteers to join the army.
(b) Creates a map of some unknown territory.
(c) Becomes the king's court jester.
(d) Compses a poem in praise of the king.
5. In "Blue Tigers," what do the Blue Tigers do to the narrator?
(a) They nearly drive him mad.
(b) They cause him to age backwards.
(c) They maul him.
(d) They slowly poison him.
6. In "Dreamtigers," the protagonist can see only little tigers, what kind does he want to see?
(a) Supernatural tigers.
(b) He doesn't want to see any tigers.
(c) Tigers with mirrors around their necks.
(d) The Siberian tiger.
7. In "The Bribe," what does Professor Einarrson write?
(a) An analysis of Wordsworth.
(b) A lone volume of an encyclopedia.
(c) A letter that is in direct opposition to Dr. Winthrop's views.
(d) A fawning tribute to Dr. Winthrop.
8. In "The Gospel According to Mark," what does Baltasar do with the Gutres' English Bible?
(a) Uses it to prove the Bible's many historical errors.
(b) Steals it and sells it.
(c) Translates it into Spanish.
(d) Hides it from them.
9. To whom is "There are More Things" dedicated?
(b) Edgar Allan Poe.
(d) H.P. Lovecraft.
10. In "A Dialogue About a Dialogue," what interrupts the dialogue?
(a) The talkers run out of things to say.
(b) The narrator remembers he has to catch a train.
(c) A noise.
(d) One of the speakers becomes suddenly ill.
11. In "The Other," who does a 70-year-old Borges converse with?
(a) Edgar Allan Poe.
(b) His immortal soul.
(d) An 18year-old version of himself.
12. In "A Prayer," what is the narrator's attitude toward his prayer?
(a) He doesn't think much about it: he says the words with no thought.
(b) He hopes it will give him worldly riches.
(c) He repudiates it.
(d) He thinks it will make sure he is saved.
13. In "The Maker," the protagonist is what Greek writer?
14. What idea is the main concern of "Paradiso, XXXI, 108"?
(a) Experiencing and seeing God.
(b) Putting forth an analysis of Dante.
(c) The absolute misery of life.
(d) Giving a detailed description of Heaven.
15. In "A Weary Man's Utopia," in what language does the narrator speak to the man from the future?
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Avelino Arredondo," whom does Avelino murder?
2. In "Pedro Salvadores," Pedro belongs to which party?
3. In "Legend," what does Abel do to Cain?
4. In "The Maker," what physical problem is the protagonist going through?
5. In "Parable of Cervantes and Don Quixote," Cervantes can best be described as which of the following?
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)