|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Blue Tigers," what do the Blue Tigers do to the narrator?
(a) They cause him to age backwards.
(b) They maul him.
(c) They nearly drive him mad.
(d) They slowly poison him.
2. In "August 25, 1983," what hotel room does Borges go to?
(b) The room is numberless.
3. Which of the following best describes the theme of "Mutations"?
(a) Mankind will change into something radically different because of scientific experiments.
(b) Writing will become superfluous because people will communicate telepathically.
(c) The connotations of words are extremely hard to alter.
(d) Objects used for death often become symbols for different things.
4. In "Ragnarok," what happens to the Gods who reappear?
(a) They are worshipped.
(b) They become regular people.
(c) They are shot.
(d) They quickly disappear again, for Christianity forces them out.
5. In "The Plot," a gaucho's murder is similar to the murder of what famous figure?
(b) The Archduke Ferdinand.
(c) Abraham Lincoln.
(d) Julius Caesar.
6. In "Undr," though the people are barbarous, they claim to be what?
(b) Devout Muslims.
(d) Virtuous pagans.
7. In "The Sect of Thirty," the sect worships which Biblical figure?
8. In "The Maker," what does the father give the protagonist when he is a boy?
(a) A book of poetry.
(b) An emerald.
(c) A knife.
(d) A shield.
9. In "The Other," who does a 70-year-old Borges converse with?
(a) An 18year-old version of himself.
(c) Edgar Allan Poe.
(d) His immortal soul.
10. In "The Book of Sand," what does the narrator do with the book at the end?
(a) He burns it.
(b) He places it in a room of mirrors to endlessly replicate the book.
(c) Though it is infinite, he magically reads it in his lifetime.
(d) He hides it in the National Library.
11. In "Dreamtigers," the protagonist can see only little tigers, what kind does he want to see?
(a) He doesn't want to see any tigers.
(b) Supernatural tigers.
(c) Tigers with mirrors around their necks.
(d) The Siberian tiger.
12. In "Ulrikke," what happens between the narrator and Ulrikke?
(a) The narrator pursues her around the world.
(b) They have a brutal knife fight.
(c) They switch identities.
(d) They casually sleep together.
13. What idea is the main concern of "Paradiso, XXXI, 108"?
(a) The absolute misery of life.
(b) Giving a detailed description of Heaven.
(c) Experiencing and seeing God.
(d) Putting forth an analysis of Dante.
14. In "The Gospel According to Mark," what does Baltasar do with the Gutres' English Bible?
(a) Hides it from them.
(b) Uses it to prove the Bible's many historical errors.
(c) Translates it into Spanish.
(d) Steals it and sells it.
15. In "A Dialogue About a Dialogue," what interrupts the dialogue?
(a) The narrator remembers he has to catch a train.
(b) A noise.
(c) One of the speakers becomes suddenly ill.
(d) The talkers run out of things to say.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Borges and I," who are the two characters?
2. In "The Interloper," which of the following best characterizes the treatment of Julia by the two brothers?
3. In "Inferno, I, 32," what does God tell Dante in a dream?
4. In "The Maker," what physical problem is the protagonist going through?
5. In "The Duel," though friends, Clara and Marta compete at what activity?
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)