|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What uses a dream as a doorway?
2. When did Jim last see Corbett Handahl?
3. What causes Holly to leave the farmhouse?
4. What did Holly realize while paying for her motel bill?
5. What genre of books did Jim like as a boy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What power does the alien have over Jim?
2. What happens at Tivoli Gardens?
3. What do Jim and Holly decide to do?
4. What is the significance of the ringing bells?
5. When did Jim's grandfather Henry pass away?
6. How do the birds vanish?
7. When does the tide change again?
8. What happens to Holly at Dixie Duck's?
9. Why will The Friend not let go of Jim?
10. Why does Jim want to stop for supplies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the book and helps to express character and theme.
2. Point of view
Essay Topic 2
Choose two of the following characters and discuss how the narrative would be affected if they were left out.
1. Henry Ironheart.
2. Corbett Handahl.
3. Eloise Glynn.
Essay Topic 3
What is the role of the The Friend and The Enemy? How does Koontz characterize them? Why are they characterized? What are their motives? Do they differ from the human characters in the book?
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)