|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does The Friend in the book communicate with Jim Jamison?
(a) It vocalizes its thoughts in a human voice.
(b) It writes words inside his mind.
(c) Via two yellow lined tablets.
(d) Through the use of tapping sounds in Morse code.
2. Who will grow up to be a priest?
(a) Billy Jenkins.
(b) Lisa Jawolski.
(c) Nicholas O Conner.
(d) Susan Jawolski.
3. What does Holly discover about the librarian?
(a) She is not retired.
(b) She is incompetent.
(c) She harbours a dislike for Jim.
(d) She remembers all of the kids that come through.
4. What is unusual about Fairs Haven?
(a) It is dark and damp.
(b) It is silent and everyone is unhappy.
(c) It is unclean and smells of deodorant.
(d) The air does not smell and laughter can be heard.
5. Whose poetry comes to Holly when she reenters the windmill?
(a) Edgar Allan Poe.
(b) Louise Tarvohl.
6. What attacks Jim in his nightmare before he saves Billy Jenkins?
(a) A flock of blackbirds.
(b) A pack of wolves.
(c) The Friend.
(d) The Enemy.
7. What causes Henry to cry?
(a) Holly tells him Jim is very troubled.
(b) Remembering how he physically abused Jim.
(c) Holly reveals her love for Jim.
(d) He thinks that Holly being impolite to him.
8. What kind of act did Jim's parents have?
(a) Circus and trapeze.
(c) A magic show.
(d) A mentalist act.
9. What genre of books did Jim like as a boy?
(a) Sports fiction.
(c) Science fiction.
(d) Action and adventure.
10. What does Mrs. Gwynn give Holly?
(a) An offer of employment.
(b) A library card.
(c) A fine for an overdue book.
(d) A map of the town.
11. What revelation does Mrs. Gwynn reveal about Henry Ironheart?
(a) He was responsible for Lena's death.
(b) He is still alive.
(c) He died of a stroke.
(d) He deserted Jim after Lena's death.
12. How does The Friend manage to unsettle Jim?
(a) It speaks to them.
(b) It appears to them in human form.
(c) By telling them not to dream.
(d) By warning them not to leave.
13. What uses a dream as a doorway?
(b) A locksmith.
(c) The bogey man.
(d) The human subconscious.
14. Why does Holly throw the answer tablet away?
(a) To show The Enemy who is boss.
(b) To prevent it from influencing Jim.
(c) She believes it will invite The Enemy.
(d) To scare Jim into submission.
15. How does the alien in the book make Jim forget about its existence?
(a) By turning his memories into a dream.
(b) It threatens him with its evil alter ego.
(c) It knocks Jim unconscious to give him amnesia.
(d) By setting fire to the tablets used for their conversations.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first question they ask the presence?
2. Why does The Friend act like a little child?
3. Why was Emily Newsome saved?
4. What did Jim's mother want to be?
5. Who wins the game?
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)