|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the final blow that causes Frobisher to leave Ayrs?
2. What is the name of the slum that Hae-Joo and Sonmi escape to?
3. Ha-why is related to what locale today?
4. What does Meronym swear on, to Zachry, that she means no harm?
5. What does Hae-Joo's aide do, that gives away Hae-Joo and Sonmi's position?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Cavendish gradually recover after his apparent stroke?
2. Why can Cavendish not get the second half of the manuscript he is reading?
3. Who are the Prescients?
4. What news does Duophysite give to Meronym and Zachry?
5. What do Ernie, Veronica and Cavendish do in the boiler room?
6. What happens to Cavendish's brother, Denholme, while Cavendish is in Aurora House?
7. How does Hae-Joo get Sonmi on the Golden Ark where she can see what is happening?
8. Why does Zachry, initially, mistrust Meronym?
9. When Frobisher learns that Ayrs "borrows" a refrain from Frobisher's work, what is Ayrs' reponse?
10. What does Zachry find in Meronym's pack?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is "ascending" for the fabricants? What demonstrates that Sonmi has ascended? What evidence is there to show that she has not ascended? Cite specific examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
How is "Sloosh'a's Crossin' an' Everythin' After," the climax of the book? What evidence from the story supports, or doesn't support, the notion that this chapter is the climax?
Essay Topic 3
Use examples from the book to answer the following question: How do all of the stories in "Cloud Atlas" represent a conflict between humans and society?
This section contains 537 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)