* The first chapter begins with Adam Ewing writing in his journal.
* Ewing is a San Francisco-based lawyer who travels to the South Pacific to find a beneficiary of a will.
* Ewing is stuck on an island while the ship he is on, "The Prophetess", makes repairs.
* Ewing meets Dr. Goose, and Englishman, searching for human teeth discarded by the resident cannibals to make dentures from.
* Ewing and Goose quickly find they have much in common and forge a friendship.
* Goose and Ewing decide to take a walk around the island where they encounter a clearing where a group of "natives" are engaged in flogging another native.
* The whipping is brutal, but the man being whipped glances up and smiles knowingly at Ewing.
* On Sunday, Ewing and Goose seek the local congregation, rather than partake of the carnal Sunday observances...
This section contains 5,645 words
(approx. 19 pages at 300 words per page)