|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What village does Will hope to reach by nightfall in Chapter 12: “Ghosts on the Road”?
(d) Cwn Annwn.
2. How long ago did Cecily come to the London Institute, according to the narrator in Chapter 7: “Dare to Wish”?
(a) 7 months ago.
(b) 2 years ago.
(c) 3 weeks ago.
(d) 8 weeks ago.
3. How old was Jessamine when she first came to the London Institute?
4. Where does Cecily spend the bulk of her time at the London Institute, according to the narrator in Chapter 7: “Dare to Wish”?
(a) Her bedroom.
(b) The kitchen.
(c) The training room.
(d) The estate gardens.
5. What word from Chapter 6: “Let Darkness” refers to a dish consisting of cooked, flaked fish, boiled rice, parsley, hard-boiled eggs, curry powder, and butter or cream?
Short Answer Questions
1. When Will departs the unconscious and dying Jem in Chapter 10: “Like Water upon Sand,” he says “Atque in pepetuum, frater, ave atque vale.” What does this Latin phrase translate to in English?
2. What was the name of Gideon and Gabriel’s mother in the novel?
3. How many miles north of London is Will said to be in the opening of Chapter 12: “Ghosts on the Road”?
4. The note that is sent to Tessa’s room says for Tessa to meet the author in what room of the Institute in Chapter 8: “That Fire of Fire”?
5. What book is Tessa said to be halfway through reading “and finding it an excellent distraction” in Chapter 8: “That Fire of Fire”?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the first letter sent by Gabriel and Gideon Lightwood to Consul Wayland in Chapter 7: “Dare to Wish.” What information is revealed in the letter?
2. What events take place when Jessamine’s carriage arrives at the London Institute in Chapter 9: “Graven in Metal”?
3. What confrontation takes place between Jem and Will in Chapter 11: “Fearful of the Night” What revelation is revealed?
4. Where does Consul Wayland actually take Gideon and Gabriel Lightwood in Chapter 6: “Let Darkness”? Why?
5. How is the character of Will Herondale described in the novel’s Prologue?
6. What item does Will find on his journey that leads him to believe he is on the right track in Chapter 12: “Ghosts on the Road”?
7. Where is Will Herondale located in the opening of Chapter 12: “Ghosts on the Road”?
8. What musical instrument does Jem play for Tessa in Chapter 8: “That Fire of Fire”? Why?
9. What is “yin fen,” and why does Jem Carstairs use this medicine in Clockwork Princess?
10. Where is Tessa being taken in Chapter 12: “Ghosts on the Road”? Why?
This section contains 927 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)