|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Will departs the unconscious and dying Jem in Chapter 10: “Like Water upon Sand,” he says “Atque in pepetuum, frater, ave atque vale.” What does this Latin phrase translate to in English?
(a) “Loyalty forever, and nobility for all time.”
(b) “Forever and ever, my brother, hail and farewell.”
(c) “Brothers in arms, brothers in souls.”
(d) “May the wind be always at your back, fair brother.”
2. What horse has Will taken with him from the London Institute in Chapter 12: “Ghosts on the Road”?
3. Aloysius Starkweather tells his granddaughter before the ceremony in the Prologue, “Your first Marks mean you are Nephilim, like me, like your mother and father. They mean you are part of” what?
(a) “The New World Order.”
(b) “The Downworlders.”
(c) “The Automatons.”
(d) “The Clave.”
4. Cecily tells Will in Chapter 10: “Like Water upon Sand” that she believes Mortmain has taken Tessa to what mountain range in Wales?
(a) Cair Paravel.
(b) Cadair Idris.
(c) Brecon Beacons.
5. Whose carriage is described drawn up by the steps of Lightwood House when Tessa and the others arrive in Chapter 2: “The Conqueror Worm”?
(b) Josiah Wayland's.
(c) Tatiana Blackthorn’s.
(d) Aloysius Starkweather’s.
Short Answer Questions
1. What month is it when the Institute’s carriage rolls into the gates of Lightwood House in Chapter 2: “The Conqueror Worm”?
2. The note that is sent to Tessa’s room says for Tessa to meet the author in what room of the Institute in Chapter 8: “That Fire of Fire”?
3. The title of Chapter 2: “The Conqueror Worm” is a literary allusion to a poem by what author?
4. The folk rhyme that opens Chapter 1: “A Dreadful Row” begins with the line “Marry on Monday for” what?
5. What does Jem give to Will to sell for money for his drugs in Chapter 4: “To Be Wise and Love”?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the back-story of Mrs. Black in The Infernal Devices trilogy?
2. Who are the Silent Brothers and what is their role within Shadowhunter society?
3. Describe Josiah Wayland’s history in The Infernal Devices series. What is Josiah’s position in the novel?
4. What happens when the Shadowhunter marks are placed on Aloysius Starkweather’s granddaughter in the Prologue?
5. Where does Cecily Herondale tell Will she believes Mortmain is in hiding in Chapter 10: “Like Water upon Sand”? What has led to this conclusion?
6. Where is Will Herondale located in the opening of Chapter 12: “Ghosts on the Road”?
7. What is Aloysius Starkweather’s history in The Infernal Devices trilogy?
8. How is the setting of Chapter 1: “A Dreadful Row” described? During what time period is this chapter set?
9. Describe the first letter sent by Gabriel and Gideon Lightwood to Consul Wayland in Chapter 7: “Dare to Wish.” What information is revealed in the letter?
10. How is the character of Will Herondale described in the novel’s Prologue?
This section contains 950 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)