|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the author of “The Harlot’s House,” which is excerpted in the opening of Chapter 20: “The Infernal Devices”?
(a) Oscar Wilde.
(b) Alexander Pope.
(c) Charlotte Bronte.
(d) John Milton.
2. What creatures attack Will when he is slumped outside of the stable at the inn in Chapter 14: “Parabatai”?
(a) Killer worms.
3. From what Shakespearean play is the title of Chapter 15: “Stars, Hide Your Fires” derived?
(a) Troilus and Cressida.
(b) King Lear.
4. Who is the werewolf that claims to know Will when he enters the inn in Chapter 14: “Parabatai”?
(a) Cyril Tanner.
(b) Woosley Scott.
(c) Aloysius Starkweather.
(d) Victor Whitelaw.
5. What is the herbal concoction that Jem gives to Tessa in Chapter 23: “Than Any Evil”?
(c) Yin fen.
6. Who is in the process of developing a transportation device in Chapter 17: “Only Noble to be Good”?
(a) Benedict Lightwood.
(b) Tatiana Blackthorn.
(c) Henry Branwell.
7. Who is the author of the novel Jane Eyre that is alluded to in Chapter 14: “Parabatai”?
(a) Charlotte Bronte.
(b) Gerard Manley Hopkins.
(c) Alexander Pope.
(d) Alfred, Lord Tennyson.
8. When Tessa transforms into the angel in Chapter 21: “Burning Gold,” she grows until she towers over Mortmain at how many feet tall?
9. What is the location listed for Cecily’s parents in the letter that she sends to them in Chapter 17: “Only Noble to be Good”?
(a) Dublin, Ireland.
(b) Paris, France.
(c) West Riding, Yorkshire.
(d) Gloucester, Scotland.
10. What room at the London Institute is said to be the one that most reminds Will of Jem in Chapter 23: “Than Any Evil”?
(a) The kitchen.
(b) The training room.
(c) The underground laboratory.
(d) The study.
11. What is the name of the goddess that is depicted on the box that held Jem’s medicine, as revealed by Jem in Chapter 23: “Than Any Evil”?
(a) Kwan Yin.
12. In Chapter 18: “For This Alone,” the narrator compares Will to “Tristan watching across the Irish Sea for the ship that would bear” who back to him?
13. What automaton-creature apprehends and takes Tessa from the battle in Chapter 21: “Burning Gold”?
(d) Mrs. Black.
14. What name does Will call out as he unsheathes his Seraph blade in Chapter 18: “For This Alone”?
15. The title of Chapter 13: “The Mind Has Mountains” is an allusion to what poem that is cited in the opening of the chapter by Gerard Manley Hopkins?
(a) “Elegy for John Keats.”
(b) “No Worse, There Is None.”
(c) “To a Silent Passing Wave.”
(d) “Tomorrow’s Shadows and Yesterday’s Years.”
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the inn that Will arrives at in the beginning of Chapter 14: “Parabatai”?
2. What is the name of Tessa’s brother who died in her arms?
3. What does Jem ask Charlotte to bring him when she comes into his room as Sophie leaves in Chapter 13: “The Mind Has Mountains”?
4. Whose Ascension takes place in the beginning of Chapter 24: “The Measure of Love”?
5. To whom does Will write a letter to after he finishes dinner at the inn in Chapter 14: “Parabatai”?
This section contains 538 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)