|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When is Charlotte’s baby said to be due in Chapter 24: “The Measure of Love”?
2. Which of his siblings does Gabriel refer to as “a useless fool” when he speaks with Charlotte in the beginning of Chapter 17: “Only Noble to be Good”?
(a) Gideon Lightwood.
(b) Benedict Lightwood.
(c) Cyril Tanner.
(d) Tatiana Blackthorn.
3. The letter that Charlotte has sitting on her desk from the Council reveals what information in Chapter 22: “Thunder in the Trumpet”?
(a) An offer for Charlotte to become Consul.
(b) An offer for Charlotte to become head of the New York Institute.
(c) A demand that Charlotte depart her position as head of the London Institute.
(d) A demand that Charlotte divorce her husband.
4. What is the name of the automaton that stands by Mortmain when he enters Tessa’s prison in Chapter 18: “For This Alone”?
5. The quote that opens Chapter 24: “The Measure of Love” is attributed to whom?
(a) Oscar Wilde.
(b) Saint Augustine.
(c) Sarah Williams.
(d) Alexander Pope.
6. What is the title of the poem by Alfred, Lord Tennyson, which is cited in the opening of Chapter 18: “For This Alone”?
(a) “To the Trees of Winter.”
(b) “In Memoriam A.H.H.”
(c) “Yesteryear and Yesterday.”
(d) “Love to the Order Above.”
7. From what Shakespearean play is the title of Chapter 15: “Stars, Hide Your Fires” derived?
(b) King Lear.
(d) Troilus and Cressida.
8. Who is the author of “In Nunhead Cemetery,” the poem that is cited in the opening of Chapter 19: “To Lie and Burn”?
(a) Charlotte Mew.
(b) Alexander Pope.
(c) Lord Byron.
(d) Sarah Williams.
9. What is the herbal concoction that Jem gives to Tessa in Chapter 23: “Than Any Evil”?
(b) Yin fen.
10. Charlotte responds to Aloysius Starkweather’s story in Chapter 15: “Stars, Hide Your Fires” by saying that “the offspring of demons and Shadowhunters are” what?
11. Whose ghost appears to Will in Chapter 24: “The Measure of Love”?
(a) Jessamine Lovelace’s.
(b) Tessa Gray's.
(c) Charlotte Branwell's.
(d) Tatiana Blackthorn’s.
12. According to Aloysius Starkweather’s story in Chapter 15: “Stars, Hide Your Fires,” he is related to Tessa Gray how?
(a) He is her great-grandfather.
(b) He is her grandfather
(c) He is her great uncle.
(d) He is her father.
13. Mortmain tells Tessa in Chapter 18: “For This Alone” that there is an old saying in China that states “A man may not live under the same Heaven with” whom?
(a) “The destroyer of his dreams.”
(b) “The son of his enemy.”
(c) “The slayer of his father.”
(d) “The wife of his enemy.”
14. From whom has Charlotte received a letter from just before Aloysius Starkweather arrives in Chapter 15: “Stars, Hide Your Fires”?
(a) Victor Whitelaw.
(b) Cecily Herondale.
(c) Josiah Wayland.
(d) Woosley Scott.
15. Where does Tessa have a scar from where she burned herself the day she told Will she was engaged to Jem, according to the narrator in Chapter 18: “For This Alone”?
(a) Her right hand.
(b) Her right temple.
(c) Her left ankle.
(d) Her left hand.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom is the letter addressed that is written by Charlotte in the opening of Chapter 15: “Stars, Hide Your Fires”?
2. Who is the author of “The Harlot’s House,” which is excerpted in the opening of Chapter 20: “The Infernal Devices”?
3. Aloysius Starkweather tells Charlotte in Chapter 15: “Stars, Hide Your Fires,” “In her infancy my granddaughter was replaced with a kidnapped human child, a sickly creature who died when the Marks were applied, because she was not” what?
4. Who is in the process of developing a transportation device in Chapter 17: “Only Noble to be Good”?
5. What saves Tessa in her fall in the beginning of Chapter 13: “The Mind Has Mountains”?
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)