|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Narcissus protect Claudius from Messalina's cunning ways?
(a) He begs Claudius to not preside over her trial and let a high consul do it.
(b) He prohibits her from seeing him.
(c) He confiscates her letters to Claudius and replies to them himself.
(d) He advises Claudius to say at his home so Messalina cannot find him.
2. On Claudius' return to Rome from Calpurnia's home, whose carriage does he run into?
(d) Vibidia Vestal's.
3. What does the reader discover about young Pompey?
(a) He is in love with Messalina.
(b) He is illiterate.
(c) He is unable to have children.
(d) He is gay.
4. What brings Claudius to Ostia?
(a) Cleopatra's message.
(b) Narcissus' message.
(c) The finishing of the new harbor.
(d) The opening of a new granary.
5. Who takes over when Herod dies?
(c) King of Adiabene.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes a rivalry between Narcissus, Pallas and Callistus?
2. How does Vitellius die?
3. What omen does Claudius look for to see if they will win the battle against the British?
4. What helps the British design their fortification?
5. What do Cleopatra and Calpurnia see in Rome that causes them alarm for Claudius?
Short Essay Questions
1. Of the five additional honors the Senate gives Claudius for his victory in Britain, describe two of them and explain why he is chosen to have these honors.
2. What are the usual feelings about a solar eclipse by the public? How does Claudius get the populace to feel differently about it?
3. What is Britannicus relationship with his father? How does it change in the last years of Claudius' life?
4. How does Claudius use his power as an emperor for personal use, and how does he justify his action?
5. How does Calpurnia show her loyalty to Claudius?
6. How might reinstating Mithridater to the Armenian throne help quell the alliance forming in the Near East?
7. How does Herod symbolize his manifestation as the Messiah?
8. Despite citing three different accounts of Claudius' death, what is in common with all of them?
9. What is Claudius' view of religion?
10. What is the reaction of those in Hell when Claudius arrives? Why do they react this way?
This section contains 1,371 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)