|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What becomes of Claudius in Hell?
(a) He becomes Messalina's slave.
(b) He keeps court records in Hell.
(c) He rolls dice forever in a bottomless cup.
(d) He resides in court trials.
2. What ritual does Claudius perform the midnight before battle?
(a) Prays to Athena.
(b) Prays to Venus.
(c) Prays to Egeria.
(d) Prays to Neptune.
3. What does Claudius prohibit Sosibius to teach Britannicus?
(a) Greek philosophy.
(b) German history.
(c) War histories.
4. What proof does Claudius see that shows Messalina's deception?
(a) A prepared speech to the Senate claiming a restoration of the Republic.
(b) Her lying eyes when she says she loves him.
(c) Unwarranted documents showing her orders for the privy purse and public stores.
(d) Silius' new house from Messalina with Claudius' heirlooms.
5. What causes a rivalry between Narcissus, Pallas and Callistus?
(a) They each want to be Claudius' principal adviser.
(b) They disagree on what to do with Messalina.
(c) They each want to be the palace guard colonel.
(d) They disagree on whom Claudius should marry.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the only thing Umbonius sells at his public auction?
2. Why does Claudius celebrate with a ten-day festival and a mock sea battle?
3. How do the people accept Nero as the succeeding emperor after Claudius?
4. In the second account of Claudius' death, what motivates Agrippinilla to hire Locusta?
5. Why does Claudius start rumors that Britannicus is epileptic?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Silius react to Claudius when they meet for his trial? Does Silius show malicious intent in his acts or as a victim of Messalina?
2. How does Posides help win the war against Britain?
3. What punishments does the court in Hell consider for Claudius?
4. What is the fate of the British isle now that the Romans have conquered it?
5. What are the usual feelings about a solar eclipse by the public? How does Claudius get the populace to feel differently about it?
6. How does Agrippinilla give power into Nero's hands? How does Claudius react to this?
7. What are the gods' opinions of Claudius as they confer on his deity?
8. How does Claudius use his power as an emperor for personal use, and how does he justify his action?
9. What is Britannicus relationship with his father? How does it change in the last years of Claudius' life?
10. What attitude does Claudius take on when he marries Agrippinilla? How does the public respond?
This section contains 1,474 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)