|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What brings Claudius to Ostia?
(a) The finishing of the new harbor.
(b) Cleopatra's message.
(c) Narcissus' message.
(d) The opening of a new granary.
2. Who does Claudius expel from the city?
(a) Druid followers.
(b) Greek philosophers.
(c) Jewish missionaries.
3. How does Corbulo take it too far by the Rhine?
(a) Corbulo withholds corn from his troops as punishment.
(b) Corbulo enters the Chaucians region.
(c) Corbulo attacks the Chattians without word from Claudius.
(d) Corbulo dismisses Galba due to a personal insult.
4. What plague occurs the year Claudius and Agrippinilla marry?
5. What does Asinius Gallus mean?
(a) Donkey cock.
(b) Yellow chicken.
(c) Attentive rooster.
(d) Foolish elder.
Short Answer Questions
1. What omen does Claudius look for to see if they will win the battle against the British?
2. What causes Claudius to make it illegal to rob graves?
3. How does Narcissus protect Claudius from Messalina's cunning ways?
4. What causes a disagreement between Claudius and the generals?
5. What is the only thing Umbonius sells at his public auction?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the fate of the British isle now that the Romans have conquered it?
2. How might reinstating Mithridater to the Armenian throne help quell the alliance forming in the Near East?
3. How does Claudius use his power as an emperor for personal use, and how does he justify his action?
4. What are the usual feelings about a solar eclipse by the public? How does Claudius get the populace to feel differently about it?
5. How does Agrippinilla give power into Nero's hands? How does Claudius react to this?
6. What is the invisible barrier between Claudius and the Senate, and how does it come about?
7. What is the reaction of those in Hell when Claudius arrives? Why do they react this way?
8. As Claudius presides over the trials of Messalina's adulterers and traitors at the wedding party, Messalina writes him three letters. Describe these letters and how it shows Messalina's true character.
9. According to Claudius, what is the most important reason to conquer the British isles? What does it give to the Roman Empire above other commodities?
10. What is Claudius' view of religion?
This section contains 1,386 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)