|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the second account of Claudius' death, what motivates Agrippinilla to hire Locusta?
(a) Nero is becoming impatient and urges his mother.
(b) Claudius states he is going to claim Britannicus his sole heir.
(c) Locusta is Nero's cousin.
(d) Xenophon is back in Cos and Locusta is great at medicines.
2. In Claudius' fourteenth year as emperor, what does Barbillus prophecy?
(a) Nero will attempt assassination.
(b) Claudius will die in a month.
(c) Nero will kill Britannicus.
(d) Agrippinilla will attempt assassination.
3. Why does the royal family keep Claudius' death a secret for a few days?
(a) To write up a new will.
(b) To hide any evidence.
(c) To organize who the successor will be.
(d) To allow private mourning time before the public knows.
4. What do Cleopatra and Calpurnia see in Rome that causes them alarm for Claudius?
(a) The Senate convening to speak of restoring the republic.
(b) Silius speaking suspiciously to the commander of the palace guards.
(c) Messalina and Silius getting married.
(d) Vitellius and Messalina committing adultery.
5. How does Bardanes meet his end?
(a) His own nobles kill him.
(b) Claudius executes him.
(c) Marsus kills him in battle.
(d) Gotarzes kills him in battle.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Clotho kill Augurinus and Baba?
2. In his poem, what does Claudius believe is his fault as an emperor?
3. Why does Claudius give sacrifices to Diana and Apollo?
4. What about Aulus' wife disturbs him?
5. What is Messalina's plan as soon as the guards come to arrest the wedding party?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do rumors that Lucius is protected by double cobras come about?
2. Why does Claudius call for support from the palace guards? What about them does he trust above others?
3. What is the fate of the British isle now that the Romans have conquered it?
4. Of the five additional honors the Senate gives Claudius for his victory in Britain, describe two of them and explain why he is chosen to have these honors.
5. How are the Romans able to surprise the Britains in the last battle to Colchester? What maneuvers do they take that seem impossible?
6. How does Calpurnia show her loyalty to Claudius?
7. Why does Claudius seem to favor Nero above Britannicus? What is his true plan?
8. What is Britannicus relationship with his father? How does it change in the last years of Claudius' life?
9. According to Claudius, what is the most important reason to conquer the British isles? What does it give to the Roman Empire above other commodities?
10. How does Silius react to Claudius when they meet for his trial? Does Silius show malicious intent in his acts or as a victim of Messalina?
This section contains 1,483 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)