|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What literary innovation does Claudius suggest to the Senate?
(a) To create a book of all the words in the Latin language.
(c) To add 3 letters to the alphabet.
(d) To add a list of words he has created.
2. Who does Claudius want to care for Britannicus?
(b) Queen of the Brigantians.
(d) The Alabarch.
3. What does the triumph symbolize to Claudius?
(a) That he deserves the title of emperor.
(b) That he is not a fool.
(c) That he is a better leader than Caligula.
(d) That he is equal to Augustus.
4. Who tries to persuade Claudius to adopt Lucius Domitius?
(d) Lucius Domitius.
5. In his poem, what does Claudius believe is his fault as an emperor?
(a) He is too irresponsible.
(b) He is too idiotic.
(c) He is too in love.
(d) He is too benevolent.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what area are the British forces strongest?
2. What about Aulus' wife disturbs him?
3. On Claudius' return to Rome from Calpurnia's home, whose carriage does he run into?
4. How does Narcissus protect Claudius from Messalina's cunning ways?
5. Why does the royal family keep Claudius' death a secret for a few days?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the Senate and people react to Messalina and Claudius' separation?
2. How does Posides help win the war against Britain?
3. What attitude does Claudius take on when he marries Agrippinilla? How does the public respond?
4. Why does Claudius marry Agrippinilla over other potential women?
5. How does Silius react to Claudius when they meet for his trial? Does Silius show malicious intent in his acts or as a victim of Messalina?
6. What is Claudius' view of religion?
7. Of the five additional honors the Senate gives Claudius for his victory in Britain, describe two of them and explain why he is chosen to have these honors.
8. What deceit does Messalina play on Claudius and his army commander while Claudius is in Britain?
9. How does Herod symbolize his manifestation as the Messiah?
10. Despite citing three different accounts of Claudius' death, what is in common with all of them?
This section contains 1,307 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)