|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Vinicianus call on to command a coup?
2. What do the Alexandrians offer to build in honor of Claudius that most excites him?
(a) An obelisk.
(b) A library.
(c) A temple.
(d) A pyramid.
3. What new holiday does Claudius add to the calendar?
(a) His birthday.
(b) Livia's birthday.
(c) HIs parents' birthdays.
(d) Messalina's birthday.
4. What is Lupus' role in restoring the Republic?
(a) To sway the guards to support the Senate.
(b) To kill Caligula's family.
(c) To lead the consul in updating the Constitution.
(d) To convince the public that Caligula's death is good.
5. Why does Vitellius write to Claudius?
(a) He believes Herod is planning a secret banquet.
(b) The Senate is beginning to talk bad about Claudius.
(c) He believes Myron is being dishonest.
(d) He is suspicious of Messalina's honesty.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is it difficult for Petronius to follow through with Caligula's orders?
2. Who helps restore order amongst the Roman soldiers at the Rhine?
3. How does Scribonianus meet his fate?
4. What word does Herod prefer to describe himself?
5. How does Gemullus confirm Tiberius' suspicions of treasonous intentions?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Claudius read people? When in court, how does Claudius decide what kind of defendant a person is?
2. How does Claudius show that his power is beginning to affect him while in Ostia?
3. Where does Herod run to after running from Antipas? Why does Flaccus welcome Herod in?
4. How do Herod and Cypros make it in Edom? From whom do they get help, and how?
5. What suspicious behaviors and rumors about Herod make the reader believe he might do something dishonest? What changes does Claudius notice about Herod?
6. Good friends with Caligula, what causes Herod to become hesitant of Caligula's rule?
7. How does Herod get Caligula to stop dedicating the statue of himself at the Holy of Holies in Jerusalem?
8. Although Silas helps Herod many times over, how does Silas depend on Herod?
9. Why does Claudius strip off the gold and silver plated chariot?
10. Claudius is proud of a new son, Drusus Germanicus. Why does Claudius love Drusus Germanicus more than all his other children? What is so different about him? Why does Claudius give him this special name and why is it so special?
This section contains 1,237 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)