|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the high priest advise Herod?
(a) A good king remembers his people.
(b) The best kings are the ones who pray daily.
(c) The greatest kings are instruments in the hands of God.
(d) The most memorable kings are the richest.
2. What seems most important to the Alabarch above all else?
(a) Loyalty to Judaism.
(b) Doing good for others.
(c) Loyalty to family.
(d) Keeping to the law.
3. What is Claudius' first decision as an emperor?
(a) Banish any Senators who were "lapdogs" of Caligula.
(b) Appoint Herod as principal adviser.
(c) Execute Tiger.
(d) Execute Cassius.
4. Why does Claudius plan a 5-day festival?
(a) To show the people that he is a fun emperor.
(b) To celebrate the death of Caligula.
(c) To rededicate the temple to Castor and Pollux.
(d) To celebrate his parents' birthdays.
5. Why does Claudius want to build a harbor?
(a) To avoid famine.
(b) Because Herod advised him to.
(c) To strengthen the navy.
(d) To build a tourism industry.
Short Answer Questions
1. In his first months, what are Claudius' top priorities?
2. What causes Alexandrians to celebrate under Caligula's rule?
3. How does Herod cheat his brother, Aristobulus?
4. What public work does Claudius finish for the Roman people?
5. How does Messalina get Silanus reinstated into Rome?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Claudius strip off the gold and silver plated chariot?
2. According to Claudius, describe the class of men that Herod the Agrippa best fits into.
3. What is Claudius' first trouble abroad? How does he handle the issue?
4. Good friends with Caligula, what causes Herod to become hesitant of Caligula's rule?
5. How does Claudius frighten the corn factors into giving him a loan of a million gold pieces?
6. What are the differences between a punitive and conquering campaign?
7. How does Herod run his kingdom? What examples show how he handles his power? Does he use it for himself or for the Jewish population?
8. What causes the governor of the prison to distrust Herod?
9. When both Alexandrian Greeks and Jews send envoys to Claudius to gain his favor, how does Claudius react?
10. How does Aristobulus revenge his brother Herod?
This section contains 1,281 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)