|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the Alexandrians offer to build in honor of Claudius that most excites him?
(a) A pyramid.
(b) An obelisk.
(c) A temple.
(d) A library.
2. What brings Herod to Bashan?
(a) Herod must hide away from Tiberius.
(b) Bashan is desolate, where his creditors will not find him.
(c) Caligula names him the ruler under his dictatorship.
(d) His Uncle Philip lives there and assists him for a while.
3. What dream does Narcissus have about Claudius?
(a) Messalina is committing adultery.
(b) Claudius is going to lose his title of emperor.
(c) Silanus will attempt to murder Messalina.
(d) Silanus will attempt to murder Claudius.
4. What drives Herod from his post as a magistrate?
(a) He insults his uncle at a banquet.
(b) He is caught taking bribes.
(c) He is bored and wants to seek more adventures.
(d) Cypros wants to return to Rome.
5. How does Gemullus confirm Tiberius' suspicions of treasonous intentions?
(a) Gemullus hears Caligula collaborating with Antonia.
(b) Gemullus hears only good words from Herod about Tiberius.
(c) Gemullus overhears about a P.O.T. loan.
(d) Gemullus hears Caligula and Herod planning an assassination attempt.
Short Answer Questions
1. What new holiday does Claudius add to the calendar?
2. Who is the first to speak up in support of Claudius?
3. How does Herod end up in Rome?
4. What causes a delay in Claudius' war against Britain?
5. How does Tiberius die?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Herod run his kingdom? What examples show how he handles his power? Does he use it for himself or for the Jewish population?
2. Claudius is proud of a new son, Drusus Germanicus. Why does Claudius love Drusus Germanicus more than all his other children? What is so different about him? Why does Claudius give him this special name and why is it so special?
3. How does Claudius show that his power is beginning to affect him while in Ostia?
4. What is Herod's advice to the Senate on what to do after Caligula's assassination?
5. What is Claudius' first trouble abroad? How does he handle the issue?
6. How do Herod and Cypros make it in Edom? From whom do they get help, and how?
7. Messalina is suspicious of Lesbia. What evidence does Messalina have against Lesbia?
8. Where does Herod run to after running from Antipas? Why does Flaccus welcome Herod in?
9. What causes the governor of the prison to distrust Herod?
10. How does Flaccus rationalize his need for Herod's advice? How does this resemble how Herod feels about himself? What does this say about the importance of family history?
This section contains 1,240 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)