|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the Clan's spiritual leader?
2. What is the name of the man from the legend who leaves his clan instead of waiting for the Mog-ur with the rest of the people?
3. How old is the young girl at the beginning of the book?
4. What idea does Ayla get when thinking about the attack?
5. What does Ayla find while exploring?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Ayla realize when she kills the porcupine?
2. How does Iza comfort Ayla when she gets upset after looking in the pool?
3. Why does Broud have Ayla cursed?
4. How does Ayla feel about the strange people caring for her?
5. Why is Iza so happy about the news that she may stay at the Mog-ur's hearth?
6. What is Creb's argument for not cursing Ayla for almost trying to force Brun to accept the baby?
7. What does Oda's story make Ayla realize?
8. Why does Creb take Durc to the other women for nursing?
9. What does Iza speculate saved the girl from the cave lion attack?
10. What causes the girl to run after the earthquake?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Deformity is a recurrent motif in the novel.
Part 1) Explain the clan's tradition regarding deformity. Does this tradition serve a practical purpose? If so, what it is?
Part 2) What is the difference between the deformity in the stillborn baby Uba delivers and Durc?
Part 3) Is the clan able to distinguish a difference between the two? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Ayla is more influenced by love of Creb and Iza than Brun or Broud's punishments could ever achieve. Write an essay exploring the role love plays in Ayla's life, using examples from the text.
Part 1) How is Ayla's behavior influenced by love?
Part 2) How does Creb's love for Ayla influence him?
Part 3) Are there any other characters motivated by love? In what ways does love influence his or her actions?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the three options to write about.
1) There are many instances of foreshadowing in The Clan of the Cave Bear. Cite 3 examples of foreshadowing. Explain how each example is used to indicate future events in the novel.
2) There are also many symbols used in the novel. Discuss 3 symbols used in the novel. How are these symbols used? What is their meaning?
3) How is irony used in the novel? Discuss 3 examples of dramatic irony used in the novel. How can the situations or events be seen as ironic?
This section contains 1,200 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)