|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Brun reprimand Broud?
2. Who is Brun's mate?
3. What does the hunt indicate to the clan about the cave?
4. What direction does the cave face, making it an excellent selection for the clan's new home?
5. What does Ayla find when she is looking for a place to practice her sling skills?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Iza comfort Ayla when she gets upset after looking in the pool?
2. Why does Brun put off a decision about mating Ayla?
3. How does the clan feel about Ayla staring as she learns the language?
4. What does Iza speculate saved the girl from the cave lion attack?
5. What does Oda's story make Ayla realize?
6. Why does Brun decide to make the death curse temporary?
7. Why is the clan traveling?
8. Why does Broud become sexually interested in Ayla?
9. How does the girl stay warm at night?
10. Why is Ayla embarrassed as the clan begins its journey to the Clan Gathering?
Essay Topic 1
Choose three things that Ayla considers tests from her totem.
Part 1) What are the tests? Describe the things that she thinks of as tests from her totem.
Part 2) In what ways do the tests challenge her?
Part 3) What are the rewards for meeting these challenges?
Essay Topic 2
The cave lion attack is a significant event in Ayla's life.
Part 1) How does the cave lion attack influence the clan's acceptance of Ayla?
Part 2) How might Ayla's fate have been different if the cave lion had not marked her in such a significant way?
Part 3) What other symbolism is significant to the clan concerning Ayla? How does it affect the clan's acceptance or non-acceptance of her?
Essay Topic 3
Men and women have very clearly defined roles in The Clan of the Cave Bear. Write an essay exploring the women's place in the clan's society
Part 1) What is the women's place in the clan's society? How do the women feel about their position in the clan? Use examples from the text.
Part 2) How does the relationship between Iza and her siblings Creb and Brun demonstrate women's place in the clan? Does she get special privileges for being medicine woman? Does she get special privileges for being the leader's sibling? Does she get special privileges for being the Mog-ur's sibling?
Part 3) Does Ayla's behavior influence the other women of the clan? Use examples from the text.
This section contains 2,330 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)