|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of shelter does the girl's family have?
2. What most influences the leader to let Iza help the girl?
3. Why does Oga stop being friends with Ayla?
4. What drives her to leave?
5. Why does Droog allow Ayla to watch him make the tools for the mammoth hunt?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Brun decide to make the death curse temporary?
2. Brun wants Iza to leave the girl. Why?
3. Why are Brun and Broud and their mates relieved when they return to the cave?
4. Why do many of the clan think it would be better if Ayla lost the baby?
5. What does Broud envision about the combined cave ceremony and his manhood ceremony?
6. What did Ayla realize when she kills the porcupine?
7. What makes the girl blindly rush straight toward the herd of wild cows?
8. How does Ayla act towards Broud after she returns?
9. Why do the mog-urs finally decide to accept Ayla and let her make the special ceremonial drink?
10. What does Brun realize when he sees the hyena's wounds?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What makes Brun a good leader? Write an essay exploring Brun's character. Identify three characteristics that you consider good leadership qualities. Provide examples from the text showing the development of that characteristic in Brun. How does each make him a good leader?
Essay Topic 2
The cave lion attack is a significant event in Ayla's life.
Part 1) How does the cave lion attack influence the clan's acceptance of Ayla?
Part 2) How might Ayla's fate have been different if the cave lion had not marked her in such a significant way?
Part 3) What other symbolism is significant to the clan concerning Ayla? How does it affect the clan's acceptance or non-acceptance of her?
Essay Topic 3
The clan incorporates a rich religious life in their culture and society.
Part 1) What are some of the elements of the clan's religion?
Part 2) How do these elements of the clan's religion enhance the novel?
Part 3) Compare and contrast Bear Ceremony to something in our culture, either a religious ceremony, or a similar secular event.
This section contains 1,257 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)