|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the clan members differ from the girl?
2. What ceremony does Brun hope to include in the cave ceremony celebration?
3. Why does Brun reprimand Broud in the clearing?
4. What does Ayla do that makes Creb bond with her?
5. What does Grod bring to help with the examination of the cave?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the mog-urs of the other clans decide not to have the special ceremonial drink?
2. Why do many of the clan think it would be better if Ayla lost the baby?
3. How do the clan members communicate?
4. What makes the girl blindly rush straight toward the herd of wild cows?
5. What is the problem with Ayla forcing Brun to accept her child?
6. What does Creb tell Ayla about how she will know what her totem wants?
7. What leads the clan to find the girl?
8. Why does Brun feel sorrow about the events with Broud's race?
9. What is the punishment for a woman who touches a weapon?
10. What is Creb's unique ability?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Creb is sure that the clan is doomed. Write an essay providing evidence to support or refute his conclusion that Ayla's kind will live on and his kind will die out. Use examples from the text. How does Ayla's ideas about how babies are started influence this theme? What role do Durc and his promised mate play?
Essay Topic 2
Ebra gives Ayla the first handful of fish eggs. Aga prepares a special dish for Ayla at the feast. Later, Droog gives Ayla some tools, along with the news of the upcoming mammoth hunt, hinting that Ayla may be allowed to go on the trip. Write an essay comparing and contrasting these three actions. How does each action show honor and respect for Ayla? How does Ayla respond to the actions? Which honor is most important to her? Why?
Essay Topic 3
The cave lion attack is a significant event in Ayla's life.
Part 1) How does the cave lion attack influence the clan's acceptance of Ayla?
Part 2) How might Ayla's fate have been different if the cave lion had not marked her in such a significant way?
Part 3) What other symbolism is significant to the clan concerning Ayla? How does it affect the clan's acceptance or non-acceptance of her?
This section contains 1,226 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)