|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Iza believe about Ayla's future?
2. How many members does the clan have after losing some in the earthquake?
3. Why does another lion chase the girl?
4. Who is Brun's mate?
5. Why does Iza take Ayla to the other women?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Creb realize when he learns of Ayla's crime?
2. What does Brun realize when he sees the hyena's wounds?
3. Why does Ayla become the center of attention after the first female sturgeon is caught?
4. What does everyone talk about instead?
5. Why does Creb take Durc to the other women for nursing?
6. Why does Brun feel sorrow about the events with Broud's race?
7. What is the problem with Ayla forcing Brun to accept her child?
8. What besides grief makes Ayla suffer?
9. How does Ayla feel when she makes her first kill?
10. What does Ayla decide while she is practicing with the sling?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay exploring Broud's character.
Part 1) Identify three characteristics that define Broud's character. Use examples from the text to illustrate these characteristics.
Part 2) How does Broud attempt to control Ayla?
Part 3) What are the effects of Broud's failure to control Ayla?
Essay Topic 2
Deformity is a recurrent motif in the novel.
Part 1) Explain the clan's tradition regarding deformity. Does this tradition serve a practical purpose? If so, what it is?
Part 2) What is the difference between the deformity in the stillborn baby Uba delivers and Durc?
Part 3) Is the clan able to distinguish a difference between the two? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The cave lion attack is a significant event in Ayla's life.
Part 1) How does the cave lion attack influence the clan's acceptance of Ayla?
Part 2) How might Ayla's fate have been different if the cave lion had not marked her in such a significant way?
Part 3) What other symbolism is significant to the clan concerning Ayla? How does it affect the clan's acceptance or non-acceptance of her?
This section contains 1,175 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)