|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Iza transport the unconscious girl?
2. Why does Creb reprimand Ayla?
3. Who is destined to be Broud's mate?
4. Who sends Ayla to get wood with the other children?
5. Why does Brun reprimand Broud?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ayla become the center of attention after the first female sturgeon is caught?
2. Why is Ayla embarrassed as the clan begins its journey to the Clan Gathering?
3. Why do the mog-urs finally decide to accept Ayla and let her make the special ceremonial drink?
4. Why does the medicine woman have status of her own, regardless of her mate?
5. How does Ayla finally begin to understand the clan language?
6. How does Ayla feel when she makes her first kill?
7. What does Iza speculate saved the girl from the cave lion attack?
8. Why does Broud have Ayla cursed?
9. Why do the mog-urs of the other clans decide not to have the special ceremonial drink?
10. Why does Brun feel sorrow about the events with Broud's race?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The clan incorporates a rich religious life in their culture and society.
Part 1) What are some of the elements of the clan's religion?
Part 2) How do these elements of the clan's religion enhance the novel?
Part 3) Compare and contrast Bear Ceremony to something in our culture, either a religious ceremony, or a similar secular event.
Essay Topic 2
Ayla is influenced by many of the stories and legends of the clan.
Part 1) What are the legends that most influence Ayla? They can be fictional stories that are passed down through the generations, or they can be based on memories of events that happened to the clan.
Part 2) How does each legend or story directly or indirectly influence Ayla's actions and decisions?
Part 3) Do you think Ayla would have acted differently in each situation without the knowledge of the legends? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay exploring Broud's character.
Part 1) Identify three characteristics that define Broud's character. Use examples from the text to illustrate these characteristics.
Part 2) How does Broud attempt to control Ayla?
Part 3) What are the effects of Broud's failure to control Ayla?
This section contains 1,214 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)