|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of tools are women of the clan allowed to make?
2. What does the hunt indicate to the clan about the cave?
3. What does Ayla try to kill with the sling and miss?
4. What does Ayla want while the clan continues traveling?
5. What does Grod bring to help with the examination of the cave?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Creb tell Ayla about how she will know what her totem wants?
2. How did the woman in the legend have her deformed son accepted?
3. What is the punishment for a woman who touches a weapon?
4. Why do the mog-urs finally decide to accept Ayla and let her make the special ceremonial drink?
5. Why is Ayla embarrassed as the clan begins its journey to the Clan Gathering?
6. What besides grief makes Ayla suffer?
7. Why do the mog-urs of the other clans decide not to have the special ceremonial drink?
8. Why does Ayla ask to be cursed if Brun refuses to accept the baby?
9. Why does Brun send Ayla to find Creb when he falls behind on the journey home?
10. Why does Ayla become the center of attention after the first female sturgeon is caught?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What makes Brun a good leader? Write an essay exploring Brun's character. Identify three characteristics that you consider good leadership qualities. Provide examples from the text showing the development of that characteristic in Brun. How does each make him a good leader?
Essay Topic 2
When Ayla is cursed with death, Brun gives a eulogy for her stating she has more courage, determination, and self-control than Broud. On all of the following, use examples from the text.
Part 1) How is Ayla more courageous than Broud?
Part 2) How is Ayla more determined than Broud?
Part 3) How does Ayla have more self-control than Broud?
Essay Topic 3
Creb is sure that the clan is doomed. Write an essay providing evidence to support or refute his conclusion that Ayla's kind will live on and his kind will die out. Use examples from the text. How does Ayla's ideas about how babies are started influence this theme? What role do Durc and his promised mate play?
This section contains 1,216 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)