Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Brun reprimand Broud?
2. Who is Brun's mate?
3. What does the hunt indicate to the clan about the cave?
4. What direction does the cave face, making it an excellent selection for the clan's new home?
5. What does Ayla find when she is looking for a place to practice her sling skills?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Iza comfort Ayla when she gets upset after looking in the pool?
2. Why does Brun put off a decision about mating Ayla?
3. How does the clan feel about Ayla staring as she learns the language?
4. What does Iza speculate saved the girl from the cave lion attack?
5. What does Oda's story make Ayla realize?
6. Why does Brun decide to make the death curse temporary?
7. Why is the clan traveling?
8. Why does Broud become sexually interested in Ayla?
9. How does the girl stay warm at night?
10. Why is Ayla embarrassed as the clan begins its journey to the Clan Gathering?
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay explaining how evolution plays a part in the novel. How is Ayla more evolved than the clan? What are the effects of her being more evolved? How do these effects influence the events in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Ayla struggles with an internal conflict over using the sling.
Part 1) How does she justify using it the first time? How does she justify using it later? Identify the conflicting values behind her decision whether or not to pursue using the sling.
Part 2) Explain Ayla's realization that she cannot use the sling in a productive way. What does the porcupine symbolize? Why does she want to keep trying?
Part 3) How does the skill Ayla develops with the sling influence her relationships, especially with the men of the clan? Why does she have such a hard time feigning submission to male superiority?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay exploring Broud's character.
Part 1) Identify three characteristics that define Broud's character. Use examples from the text to illustrate these characteristics.
Part 2) How does Broud attempt to control Ayla?
Part 3) What are the effects of Broud's failure to control Ayla?
This section contains 1,093 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)