Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Brun reprimand Broud?
2. Who is Brun's mate?
3. What does the hunt indicate to the clan about the cave?
4. What direction does the cave face, making it an excellent selection for the clan's new home?
5. What does Ayla find when she is looking for a place to practice her sling skills?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Iza comfort Ayla when she gets upset after looking in the pool?
2. Why does Brun put off a decision about mating Ayla?
3. How does the clan feel about Ayla staring as she learns the language?
4. What does Iza speculate saved the girl from the cave lion attack?
5. What does Oda's story make Ayla realize?
6. Why does Brun decide to make the death curse temporary?
7. Why is the clan traveling?
8. Why does Broud become sexually interested in Ayla?
9. How does the girl stay warm at night?
10. Why is Ayla embarrassed as the clan begins its journey to the Clan Gathering?
Creb is sure that the clan is doomed. Write an essay providing evidence to support or refute his conclusion that Ayla's kind will live on and his kind will die out. Use examples from the text. How does Ayla's ideas about how babies are started influence this theme? What role do Durc and his promised mate play?
Write an essay about three traditions or beliefs of the clan (e.g., bringing animals back to the cave, touching a weapon, non-acceptance of deformed babies, etc.). What purpose do these traditions or beliefs serve in the framework of the clan's culture? How does Ayla have difficulty conforming to these traditions or beliefs?
The cave lion attack is a significant event in Ayla's life.
Part 1) How does the cave lion attack influence the clan's acceptance of Ayla?
Part 2) How might Ayla's fate have been different if the cave lion had not marked her in such a significant way?
Part 3) What other symbolism is significant to the clan concerning Ayla? How does it affect the clan's acceptance or non-acceptance of her?
This section contains 1,082 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)