|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Creb find in the cave that seals the Clan's acceptance of the space as their new home?
2. What does Grod bring to help with the examination of the cave?
3. How does Ayla believe she has made the right decision about learning to hunt?
4. What direction does the cave face, making it an excellent selection for the clan's new home?
5. Where do the lion's claws mark the girl with four parallel gashes?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the girl stay warm at night?
2. What does the clan do with deformed babies?
3. How do the women treat Ayla after she returns?
4. What is Creb's unique ability?
5. Why does Ayla think she should be able to keep the baby?
6. How does Ayla feel about the strange people caring for her?
7. What does Ayla focus on once cursed with death?
8. What does Creb realize when he learns of Ayla's crime?
9. Why is Ayla embarrassed as the clan begins its journey to the Clan Gathering?
10. What does the girl do during the earthquake?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The clan incorporates a rich religious life in their culture and society.
Part 1) What are some of the elements of the clan's religion?
Part 2) How do these elements of the clan's religion enhance the novel?
Part 3) Compare and contrast Bear Ceremony to something in our culture, either a religious ceremony, or a similar secular event.
Essay Topic 2
The differences between the Others and the clan are an important theme of the novel.
Part 1) How do these differences influence the story?
Part 2) How do the clan members perceive Ayla? How does being around them influence her perception of herself?
Part 3) What do the Others symbolize to the clan? Be sure to cite examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Men and women have very clearly defined roles in The Clan of the Cave Bear. Write an essay exploring the women's place in the clan's society
Part 1) What is the women's place in the clan's society? How do the women feel about their position in the clan? Use examples from the text.
Part 2) How does the relationship between Iza and her siblings Creb and Brun demonstrate women's place in the clan? Does she get special privileges for being medicine woman? Does she get special privileges for being the leader's sibling? Does she get special privileges for being the Mog-ur's sibling?
Part 3) Does Ayla's behavior influence the other women of the clan? Use examples from the text.
This section contains 1,139 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)