|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Broud offer to make Vorn?
2. Why is Iza the leader of the women?
3. What does Iza use for a medicine bag?
4. Why does Iza stay at Creb's hearth?
5. How do the clan members differ from the girl?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Iza speculate saved the girl from the cave lion attack?
2. What leads the clan to find the girl?
3. How do the clan members communicate?
4. What does Creb tell Ayla about how she will know what her totem wants?
5. What do the clan members believe about how babies are conceived?
6. Why do the mog-urs of the other clans decide not to have the special ceremonial drink?
7. What did Ayla realize when she kills the porcupine?
8. How did the woman in the legend have her deformed son accepted?
9. Why do many of the clan think it would be better if Ayla lost the baby?
10. Why does Creb take Durc to the other women for nursing?
Essay Topic 1
Ebra gives Ayla the first handful of fish eggs. Aga prepares a special dish for Ayla at the feast. Later, Droog gives Ayla some tools, along with the news of the upcoming mammoth hunt, hinting that Ayla may be allowed to go on the trip. Write an essay comparing and contrasting these three actions. How does each action show honor and respect for Ayla? How does Ayla respond to the actions? Which honor is most important to her? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Men and women have very clearly defined roles in The Clan of the Cave Bear. Write an essay exploring the women's place in the clan's society
Part 1) What is the women's place in the clan's society? How do the women feel about their position in the clan? Use examples from the text.
Part 2) How does the relationship between Iza and her siblings Creb and Brun demonstrate women's place in the clan? Does she get special privileges for being medicine woman? Does she get special privileges for being the leader's sibling? Does she get special privileges for being the Mog-ur's sibling?
Part 3) Does Ayla's behavior influence the other women of the clan? Use examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
What role do the totem spirits play in the lives of the clan? How do their beliefs regarding the spirits affect their acceptance of Ayla? How does Ayla challenge their beliefs? Write an essay about three specific points in the story where the totem spirits play a role.
This section contains 2,329 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)