|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does another lion chase the girl?
2. What drives her to leave?
3. Why does Broud constantly harass Ayla?
4. What does Broud have to do to prove he is now a man?
5. Why does Iza decide to teach Ayla medicine?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Brun refrain from interfering in the battle of wills between Broud and Ayla?
2. Why do many of the clan think it would be better if Ayla lost the baby?
3. Why does Brun send Ayla to find Creb when he falls behind on the journey home?
4. What things does Creb consider when selecting a totem for a child?
5. What does Creb realize when he learns of Ayla's crime?
6. Why does Broud have Ayla cursed?
7. What does Ayla think about what Iza told her before she died?
8. Why does Broud become sexually interested in Ayla?
9. What does the clan do with deformed babies?
10. Why do the mog-urs of the other clans decide not to have the special ceremonial drink?
Essay Topic 1
The clan incorporates a rich religious life in their culture and society.
Part 1) What are some of the elements of the clan's religion?
Part 2) How do these elements of the clan's religion enhance the novel?
Part 3) Compare and contrast Bear Ceremony to something in our culture, either a religious ceremony, or a similar secular event.
Essay Topic 2
Men and women have very clearly defined roles in The Clan of the Cave Bear. Write an essay exploring the women's place in the clan's society
Part 1) What is the women's place in the clan's society? How do the women feel about their position in the clan? Use examples from the text.
Part 2) How does the relationship between Iza and her siblings Creb and Brun demonstrate women's place in the clan? Does she get special privileges for being medicine woman? Does she get special privileges for being the leader's sibling? Does she get special privileges for being the Mog-ur's sibling?
Part 3) Does Ayla's behavior influence the other women of the clan? Use examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Ayla is more influenced by love of Creb and Iza than Brun or Broud's punishments could ever achieve. Write an essay exploring the role love plays in Ayla's life, using examples from the text.
Part 1) How is Ayla's behavior influenced by love?
Part 2) How does Creb's love for Ayla influence him?
Part 3) Are there any other characters motivated by love? In what ways does love influence his or her actions?
This section contains 2,636 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)