|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Iza stop working while the women are winnowing grain?
2. What do the older men use to hunt small animals?
3. What feature of Creb's hearth makes it especially ideal for him?
4. Why does Creb reprimand Ayla?
5. Iza is old for her first pregnancy. How old is she?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ayla ask to be cursed if Brun refuses to accept the baby?
2. Why does Brun refrain from interfering in the battle of wills between Broud and Ayla?
3. How does Ayla finally begin to understand the clan language?
4. What does Creb realize about Durc?
5. Brun wants Iza to leave the girl. Why?
6. What does Ayla think about what Iza told her before she died?
7. Why does the medicine woman have status of her own, regardless of her mate?
8. Why is Ayla embarrassed as the clan begins its journey to the Clan Gathering?
9. What does the girl do during the earthquake?
10. Why does Brun put off a decision about mating Ayla?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The differences between the Others and the clan are an important theme of the novel.
Part 1) How do these differences influence the story?
Part 2) How do the clan members perceive Ayla? How does being around them influence her perception of herself?
Part 3) What do the Others symbolize to the clan? Be sure to cite examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
What makes Brun a good leader? Write an essay exploring Brun's character. Identify three characteristics that you consider good leadership qualities. Provide examples from the text showing the development of that characteristic in Brun. How does each make him a good leader?
Essay Topic 3
Ayla struggles with an internal conflict over using the sling.
Part 1) How does she justify using it the first time? How does she justify using it later? Identify the conflicting values behind her decision whether or not to pursue using the sling.
Part 2) Explain Ayla's realization that she cannot use the sling in a productive way. What does the porcupine symbolize? Why does she want to keep trying?
Part 3) How does the skill Ayla develops with the sling influence her relationships, especially with the men of the clan? Why does she have such a hard time feigning submission to male superiority?
This section contains 1,195 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)