|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Brun feel about Ayla during the winter of Broud's constant abuse of Ayla?
2. What happens to convince the clan to start allowing Ayla to help Iza practice medicine?
3. Why does Brun decide to hunt mammoth, even though it is a risky undertaking?
4. What is Broud's totem?
5. What happens once she leaves the cave?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Iza speculate saved the girl from the cave lion attack?
2. How does the girl stay warm at night?
3. What does Brun realize when he sees the hyena's wounds?
4. What does Oda's story make Ayla realize?
5. What is Creb's unique ability?
6. How does Ayla act towards Broud after she returns?
7. Why are Brun and Broud and their mates relieved when they return to the cave?
8. What does the girl do during the earthquake?
9. What things does Creb consider when selecting a totem for a child?
10. Why does Ayla become the center of attention after the first female sturgeon is caught?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Deformity is a recurrent motif in the novel.
Part 1) Explain the clan's tradition regarding deformity. Does this tradition serve a practical purpose? If so, what it is?
Part 2) What is the difference between the deformity in the stillborn baby Uba delivers and Durc?
Part 3) Is the clan able to distinguish a difference between the two? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Ayla is more influenced by love of Creb and Iza than Brun or Broud's punishments could ever achieve. Write an essay exploring the role love plays in Ayla's life, using examples from the text.
Part 1) How is Ayla's behavior influenced by love?
Part 2) How does Creb's love for Ayla influence him?
Part 3) Are there any other characters motivated by love? In what ways does love influence his or her actions?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay exploring Broud's character.
Part 1) Identify three characteristics that define Broud's character. Use examples from the text to illustrate these characteristics.
Part 2) How does Broud attempt to control Ayla?
Part 3) What are the effects of Broud's failure to control Ayla?
This section contains 2,364 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)