|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ayla start paying attention to Zoug?
2. What happens while the clan is herding the fish into the net?
3. How does Ayla act towards Broud after the beating?
4. What does Ayla do that reveals her secret skill?
5. Why does Ayla go out alone?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Creb realize about Durc?
2. What does Ayla realize about her son's deformity?
3. Why does Brun feel sorrow about the events with Broud's race?
4. Why do many of the clan think it would be better if Ayla lost the baby?
5. Why does Broud have Ayla cursed?
6. How does the girl stay warm at night?
7. What did Ayla realize when she kills the porcupine?
8. Why does Broud become sexually interested in Ayla?
9. Why do the mog-urs finally decide to accept Ayla and let her make the special ceremonial drink?
10. What does Broud envision about the combined cave ceremony and his manhood ceremony?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay explaining how evolution plays a part in the novel. How is Ayla more evolved than the clan? What are the effects of her being more evolved? How do these effects influence the events in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay exploring Broud's character.
Part 1) Identify three characteristics that define Broud's character. Use examples from the text to illustrate these characteristics.
Part 2) How does Broud attempt to control Ayla?
Part 3) What are the effects of Broud's failure to control Ayla?
Essay Topic 3
The Clan lacks the capacity to foresee consequences. If Brun could have perfect information about the future of the strange child he decides to let Iza adopt, what might he do differently? Write an essay describing how he might handle (1) her lack of submission to Broud, (2) her desire to hunt, and (3) her ability to learn healing from Iza. What might he do to prepare himself and the clan for these differences? If he decided to abandon her because she was too different, would the clan suffer from losing her? What do they gain by having her as part of the clan?
This section contains 1,297 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)