|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the lioness stalking when the girl gets too close?
2. What is the girl doing before the earthquake?
3. What do the older men use to hunt small animals?
4. What does Ayla do when Creb reprimands her that worries him?
5. What does Ayla do wrong when Broud hits her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Brun realize when he sees the hyena's wounds?
2. Brun wants Iza to leave the girl. Why?
3. Why does Broud cuff Ayla?
4. What causes the girl to run after the earthquake?
5. How do the clan members communicate?
6. Why does Brun send Ayla to find Creb when he falls behind on the journey home?
7. What does Creb tell Ayla about how she will know what her totem wants?
8. Why are Brun and Broud and their mates relieved when they return to the cave?
9. Why does Ayla think she should be able to keep the baby?
10. Why do the mog-urs of the other clans decide not to have the special ceremonial drink?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Clan lacks the capacity to foresee consequences. If Brun could have perfect information about the future of the strange child he decides to let Iza adopt, what might he do differently? Write an essay describing how he might handle (1) her lack of submission to Broud, (2) her desire to hunt, and (3) her ability to learn healing from Iza. What might he do to prepare himself and the clan for these differences? If he decided to abandon her because she was too different, would the clan suffer from losing her? What do they gain by having her as part of the clan?
Essay Topic 2
The clan incorporates a rich religious life in their culture and society.
Part 1) What are some of the elements of the clan's religion?
Part 2) How do these elements of the clan's religion enhance the novel?
Part 3) Compare and contrast Bear Ceremony to something in our culture, either a religious ceremony, or a similar secular event.
Essay Topic 3
Deformity is a recurrent motif in the novel.
Part 1) Explain the clan's tradition regarding deformity. Does this tradition serve a practical purpose? If so, what it is?
Part 2) What is the difference between the deformity in the stillborn baby Uba delivers and Durc?
Part 3) Is the clan able to distinguish a difference between the two? Why or why not?
This section contains 2,370 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)