|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Grod bring to help with the examination of the cave?
2. What direction does the cave face, making it an excellent selection for the clan's new home?
3. What does Ayla find while exploring?
4. How does Ayla act towards Broud after the beating?
5. Who is destined to be Broud's mate?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Creb convinced that Ayla belongs with the clan now?
2. What is Creb's argument for not cursing Ayla for almost trying to force Brun to accept the baby?
3. Why is Iza so happy about the news that she may stay at the Mog-ur's hearth?
4. How does the girl stay warm at night?
5. Why do many of the clan think it would be better if Ayla lost the baby?
6. What does the girl do during the earthquake?
7. What does Oda's story make Ayla realize?
8. Why does the medicine woman have status of her own, regardless of her mate?
9. Why does Brun send Ayla to find Creb when he falls behind on the journey home?
10. How do the clan members communicate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Creb is sure that the clan is doomed. Write an essay providing evidence to support or refute his conclusion that Ayla's kind will live on and his kind will die out. Use examples from the text. How does Ayla's ideas about how babies are started influence this theme? What role do Durc and his promised mate play?
Essay Topic 2
The differences between the Others and the clan are an important theme of the novel.
Part 1) How do these differences influence the story?
Part 2) How do the clan members perceive Ayla? How does being around them influence her perception of herself?
Part 3) What do the Others symbolize to the clan? Be sure to cite examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
The clan incorporates a rich religious life in their culture and society.
Part 1) What are some of the elements of the clan's religion?
Part 2) How do these elements of the clan's religion enhance the novel?
Part 3) Compare and contrast Bear Ceremony to something in our culture, either a religious ceremony, or a similar secular event.
This section contains 1,187 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)