|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the clan members differ from the girl?
2. How many days transpire between a clan child's birth and naming day?
3. Why is Iza the leader of the women?
4. What does Creb find in the cave that seals the Clan's acceptance of the space as their new home?
5. What had Brun planned to do to with Iza before she rescued Ayla?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Brun feel sorrow about the events with Broud's race?
2. Why does Broud become sexually interested in Ayla?
3. Why do the mog-urs finally decide to accept Ayla and let her make the special ceremonial drink?
4. What does the girl do during the earthquake?
5. Why do many of the clan think it would be better if Ayla lost the baby?
6. What things does Creb consider when selecting a totem for a child?
7. How did the woman in the legend have her deformed son accepted?
8. How does Ayla feel about the strange people caring for her?
9. Why does Broud cuff Ayla?
10. What does Ayla realize about her son's deformity?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1Choose three things that Ayla considers tests from her totem. Part 1) What are the tests? Describe the things that she thinks of as tests from her totem. Part 2) In what ways do the tests challenge her? Part 3) What are the rewards for meeting these challenges?
Essay Topic 2Creb is sure that the clan is doomed. Write an essay providing evidence to support or refute his conclusion that Ayla's kind will live on and his kind will die out. Use examples from the text. How does Ayla's ideas about how babies are started influence this theme? What role do Durc and his promised mate play?
Essay Topic 3What role do the totem spirits play in the lives of the clan? How do their beliefs regarding the spirits affect their acceptance of Ayla? How does Ayla challenge their beliefs? Write an essay about three specific points in the story where the totem spirits play a role.
This section contains 1,200 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)