|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Broud and Oga's son?
2. How long does the girl stay in the cave?
3. What does Broud offer to make Vorn?
4. What does Creb find in the cave that seals the Clan's acceptance of the space as their new home?
5. Why does Iza believe her healing magic will work on the child of the Others?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Brun decide to make the death curse temporary?
2. What does Broud envision about the combined cave ceremony and his manhood ceremony?
3. What does Ayla realize about her son's deformity?
4. Why is the clan traveling?
5. What leads the clan to find the girl?
6. Why does Ayla become the center of attention after the first female sturgeon is caught?
7. Why does Brun put off a decision about mating Ayla?
8. How does Iza comfort Ayla when she gets upset after looking in the pool?
9. What does Ayla focus on once cursed with death?
10. What does Creb tell Ayla about how she will know what her totem wants?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The differences between the Others and the clan are an important theme of the novel.
Part 1) How do these differences influence the story?
Part 2) How do the clan members perceive Ayla? How does being around them influence her perception of herself?
Part 3) What do the Others symbolize to the clan? Be sure to cite examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
One of the differences between Ayla and the clan is her ability to conceive new innovations.
Part 1) What are some of the innovations that Ayla thinks of during the novel?
Part 2) What are the implications of these innovations? Do they influence the plot? How?
Part 3) How do Ayla's new ideas help her to survive? How do they threaten her survival in the strict structure and culture of the clan?
Essay Topic 3
Ayla is influenced by many of the stories and legends of the clan.
Part 1) What are the legends that most influence Ayla? They can be fictional stories that are passed down through the generations, or they can be based on memories of events that happened to the clan.
Part 2) How does each legend or story directly or indirectly influence Ayla's actions and decisions?
Part 3) Do you think Ayla would have acted differently in each situation without the knowledge of the legends? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,145 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)