Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Brun reprimand Broud?
2. Who is Brun's mate?
3. What does the hunt indicate to the clan about the cave?
4. What direction does the cave face, making it an excellent selection for the clan's new home?
5. What does Ayla find when she is looking for a place to practice her sling skills?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Iza comfort Ayla when she gets upset after looking in the pool?
2. Why does Brun put off a decision about mating Ayla?
3. How does the clan feel about Ayla staring as she learns the language?
4. What does Iza speculate saved the girl from the cave lion attack?
5. What does Oda's story make Ayla realize?
6. Why does Brun decide to make the death curse temporary?
7. Why is the clan traveling?
8. Why does Broud become sexually interested in Ayla?
9. How does the girl stay warm at night?
10. Why is Ayla embarrassed as the clan begins its journey to the Clan Gathering?
Essay Topic 1
When Ayla is cursed with death, Brun gives a eulogy for her stating she has more courage, determination, and self-control than Broud. On all of the following, use examples from the text.
Part 1) How is Ayla more courageous than Broud?
Part 2) How is Ayla more determined than Broud?
Part 3) How does Ayla have more self-control than Broud?
Essay Topic 2
Ayla is influenced by many of the stories and legends of the clan.
Part 1) What are the legends that most influence Ayla? They can be fictional stories that are passed down through the generations, or they can be based on memories of events that happened to the clan.
Part 2) How does each legend or story directly or indirectly influence Ayla's actions and decisions?
Part 3) Do you think Ayla would have acted differently in each situation without the knowledge of the legends? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay exploring Broud's character.
Part 1) Identify three characteristics that define Broud's character. Use examples from the text to illustrate these characteristics.
Part 2) How does Broud attempt to control Ayla?
Part 3) What are the effects of Broud's failure to control Ayla?
This section contains 1,095 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)