|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ayla decide to do with her sling while on the mammoth hunt trip?
2. What do the older men use to hunt small animals?
3. What does Creb want to teach Ayla?
4. What happens to convince the clan to start allowing Ayla to help Iza practice medicine?
5. How do the clan members differ from the girl?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the woman in the legend have her deformed son accepted?
2. How is Creb convinced that Ayla belongs with the clan now?
3. Why does Brun decide to make the death curse temporary?
4. What does Oda's story make Ayla realize?
5. Why does Broud become sexually interested in Ayla?
6. What does the clan do with deformed babies?
7. What does Creb tell Ayla about how she will know what her totem wants?
8. Why does Broud cuff Ayla?
9. What is Creb's argument for not cursing Ayla for almost trying to force Brun to accept the baby?
10. What things does Creb consider when selecting a totem for a child?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ebra gives Ayla the first handful of fish eggs. Aga prepares a special dish for Ayla at the feast. Later, Droog gives Ayla some tools, along with the news of the upcoming mammoth hunt, hinting that Ayla may be allowed to go on the trip. Write an essay comparing and contrasting these three actions. How does each action show honor and respect for Ayla? How does Ayla respond to the actions? Which honor is most important to her? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Ayla is influenced by many of the stories and legends of the clan.
Part 1) What are the legends that most influence Ayla? They can be fictional stories that are passed down through the generations, or they can be based on memories of events that happened to the clan.
Part 2) How does each legend or story directly or indirectly influence Ayla's actions and decisions?
Part 3) Do you think Ayla would have acted differently in each situation without the knowledge of the legends? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The cave lion attack is a significant event in Ayla's life.
Part 1) How does the cave lion attack influence the clan's acceptance of Ayla?
Part 2) How might Ayla's fate have been different if the cave lion had not marked her in such a significant way?
Part 3) What other symbolism is significant to the clan concerning Ayla? How does it affect the clan's acceptance or non-acceptance of her?
This section contains 2,617 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)