|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What idea does Ayla get when thinking about the attack?
2. What does Brun do when Broud finally decides to rebuke Ayla for her insolence?
3. Why does another lion chase the girl?
4. How many members does the clan have after losing some in the earthquake?
5. What happens to convince the clan to start allowing Ayla to help Iza practice medicine?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the clan traveling?
2. What is the problem with Ayla forcing Brun to accept her child?
3. How does Ayla finally begin to understand the clan language?
4. Why does Brun feel sorrow about the events with Broud's race?
5. What is the punishment for a woman who touches a weapon?
6. Why are Brun and Broud and their mates relieved when they return to the cave?
7. Why does Brun decide to make the death curse temporary?
8. Why does Broud have Ayla cursed?
9. What leads the clan to find the girl?
10. What does Brun realize when he sees the hyena's wounds?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Ayla is cursed with death, Brun gives a eulogy for her stating she has more courage, determination, and self-control than Broud. On all of the following, use examples from the text.
Part 1) How is Ayla more courageous than Broud?
Part 2) How is Ayla more determined than Broud?
Part 3) How does Ayla have more self-control than Broud?
Essay Topic 2
The differences between the Others and the clan are an important theme of the novel.
Part 1) How do these differences influence the story?
Part 2) How do the clan members perceive Ayla? How does being around them influence her perception of herself?
Part 3) What do the Others symbolize to the clan? Be sure to cite examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Deformity is a recurrent motif in the novel.
Part 1) Explain the clan's tradition regarding deformity. Does this tradition serve a practical purpose? If so, what it is?
Part 2) What is the difference between the deformity in the stillborn baby Uba delivers and Durc?
Part 3) Is the clan able to distinguish a difference between the two? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,258 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)