|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ayla want while the clan continues traveling?
2. What does the hunt indicate to the clan about the cave?
3. What idea does Ayla get when thinking about the attack?
4. What secret herbal medicine does Iza take to spite her mate?
5. What does Ayla try to kill with the sling and miss?
Short Essay Questions
1. What besides grief makes Ayla suffer?
2. What is the problem with Ayla forcing Brun to accept her child?
3. How does the girl stay warm at night?
4. Why does Creb take Durc to the other women for nursing?
5. Why does Ayla become the center of attention after the first female sturgeon is caught?
6. Why does Ayla ask to be cursed if Brun refuses to accept the baby?
7. What does Creb realize about Durc?
8. How do the clan members communicate?
9. What does Ayla think about what Iza told her before she died?
10. What does the clan do with deformed babies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay exploring Broud's character.
Part 1) Identify three characteristics that define Broud's character. Use examples from the text to illustrate these characteristics.
Part 2) How does Broud attempt to control Ayla?
Part 3) What are the effects of Broud's failure to control Ayla?
Essay Topic 2
The clan incorporates a rich religious life in their culture and society.
Part 1) What are some of the elements of the clan's religion?
Part 2) How do these elements of the clan's religion enhance the novel?
Part 3) Compare and contrast Bear Ceremony to something in our culture, either a religious ceremony, or a similar secular event.
Essay Topic 3
What makes Brun a good leader? Write an essay exploring Brun's character. Identify three characteristics that you consider good leadership qualities. Provide examples from the text showing the development of that characteristic in Brun. How does each make him a good leader?
This section contains 1,150 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)