|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the clan members differ from the girl?
2. Why does Ayla take Uba to Oga for nursing?
3. What happens to convince the clan to start allowing Ayla to help Iza practice medicine?
4. Why does Brun reprimand Broud?
5. What happens while the women are preparing the mammoth for the journey home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Brun refrain from interfering in the battle of wills between Broud and Ayla?
2. Why do the mog-urs finally decide to accept Ayla and let her make the special ceremonial drink?
3. What does Ayla realize about her son's deformity?
4. What things does Creb consider when selecting a totem for a child?
5. Why does Broud have Ayla cursed?
6. Why is Ayla embarrassed as the clan begins its journey to the Clan Gathering?
7. How does Ayla feel after the animal attack?
8. Why does Creb take Durc to the other women for nursing?
9. What is the punishment for a woman who touches a weapon?
10. Why does Brun decide to make the death curse temporary?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Creb is sure that the clan is doomed. Write an essay providing evidence to support or refute his conclusion that Ayla's kind will live on and his kind will die out. Use examples from the text. How does Ayla's ideas about how babies are started influence this theme? What role do Durc and his promised mate play?
Essay Topic 2
The differences between the Others and the clan are an important theme of the novel.
Part 1) How do these differences influence the story?
Part 2) How do the clan members perceive Ayla? How does being around them influence her perception of herself?
Part 3) What do the Others symbolize to the clan? Be sure to cite examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Ebra gives Ayla the first handful of fish eggs. Aga prepares a special dish for Ayla at the feast. Later, Droog gives Ayla some tools, along with the news of the upcoming mammoth hunt, hinting that Ayla may be allowed to go on the trip. Write an essay comparing and contrasting these three actions. How does each action show honor and respect for Ayla? How does Ayla respond to the actions? Which honor is most important to her? Why?
This section contains 1,284 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)