|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ayla look at Creb?
2. How old is the young girl at the beginning of the book?
3. What does Droog give Ayla?
4. What does Creb want to teach Ayla?
5. What does the hunt indicate to the clan about the cave?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Creb take Durc to the other women for nursing?
2. How is Creb convinced that Ayla belongs with the clan now?
3. What does Oda's story make Ayla realize?
4. What besides grief makes Ayla suffer?
5. Why does Brun refrain from interfering in the battle of wills between Broud and Ayla?
6. What did Ayla realize when she kills the porcupine?
7. How did the woman in the legend have her deformed son accepted?
8. What causes the girl to run after the earthquake?
9. What does Brun realize when he sees the hyena's wounds?
10. How does the clan feel about Ayla staring as she learns the language?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The cave lion attack is a significant event in Ayla's life.
Part 1) How does the cave lion attack influence the clan's acceptance of Ayla?
Part 2) How might Ayla's fate have been different if the cave lion had not marked her in such a significant way?
Part 3) What other symbolism is significant to the clan concerning Ayla? How does it affect the clan's acceptance or non-acceptance of her?
Essay Topic 2
Choose three things that Ayla considers tests from her totem.
Part 1) What are the tests? Describe the things that she thinks of as tests from her totem.
Part 2) In what ways do the tests challenge her?
Part 3) What are the rewards for meeting these challenges?
Essay Topic 3
One of the differences between Ayla and the clan is her ability to conceive new innovations.
Part 1) What are some of the innovations that Ayla thinks of during the novel?
Part 2) What are the implications of these innovations? Do they influence the plot? How?
Part 3) How do Ayla's new ideas help her to survive? How do they threaten her survival in the strict structure and culture of the clan?
This section contains 2,413 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)