|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the girl doing before the earthquake?
2. What animal is Ayla's first true kill?
3. Who is Brun's mate?
4. What does Iza make for Ayla, meaning that Ayla will become one of the clan?
5. Who is the leader of the Clan?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the clan members believe about how babies are conceived?
2. What does Creb realize when he learns of Ayla's crime?
3. Why are Brun and Broud and their mates relieved when they return to the cave?
4. Why does Ayla become the center of attention after the first female sturgeon is caught?
5. What is the punishment for a woman who touches a weapon?
6. What besides grief makes Ayla suffer?
7. What does Creb tell Ayla about how she will know what her totem wants?
8. What makes the girl blindly rush straight toward the herd of wild cows?
9. What is Creb's argument for not cursing Ayla for almost trying to force Brun to accept the baby?
10. Why does Broud cuff Ayla?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Ayla is cursed with death, Brun gives a eulogy for her stating she has more courage, determination, and self-control than Broud. On all of the following, use examples from the text.
Part 1) How is Ayla more courageous than Broud?
Part 2) How is Ayla more determined than Broud?
Part 3) How does Ayla have more self-control than Broud?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the three options to write about.
1) There are many instances of foreshadowing in The Clan of the Cave Bear. Cite 3 examples of foreshadowing. Explain how each example is used to indicate future events in the novel.
2) There are also many symbols used in the novel. Discuss 3 symbols used in the novel. How are these symbols used? What is their meaning?
3) How is irony used in the novel? Discuss 3 examples of dramatic irony used in the novel. How can the situations or events be seen as ironic?
Essay Topic 3
Creb is sure that the clan is doomed. Write an essay providing evidence to support or refute his conclusion that Ayla's kind will live on and his kind will die out. Use examples from the text. How does Ayla's ideas about how babies are started influence this theme? What role do Durc and his promised mate play?
This section contains 2,347 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)