|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What men stay behind to protect the cave?
2. What kind of shelter does the girl's family have?
3. Why does Brun reprimand Broud?
4. Who is the leader of the Clan?
5. What does Creb find in the cave that seals the Clan's acceptance of the space as their new home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are Brun and Broud and their mates relieved when they return to the cave?
2. What does Iza fear will happen after she dies?
3. What does Ayla focus on once cursed with death?
4. Why does Creb take Durc to the other women for nursing?
5. Why do the mog-urs finally decide to accept Ayla and let her make the special ceremonial drink?
6. What does Brun realize when he sees the hyena's wounds?
7. Brun wants Iza to leave the girl. Why?
8. Why do many of the clan think it would be better if Ayla lost the baby?
9. What is the punishment for a woman who touches a weapon?
10. What does Creb realize about Durc?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ayla struggles with an internal conflict over using the sling.
Part 1) How does she justify using it the first time? How does she justify using it later? Identify the conflicting values behind her decision whether or not to pursue using the sling.
Part 2) Explain Ayla's realization that she cannot use the sling in a productive way. What does the porcupine symbolize? Why does she want to keep trying?
Part 3) How does the skill Ayla develops with the sling influence her relationships, especially with the men of the clan? Why does she have such a hard time feigning submission to male superiority?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay explaining how evolution plays a part in the novel. How is Ayla more evolved than the clan? What are the effects of her being more evolved? How do these effects influence the events in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the three options to write about.
1) There are many instances of foreshadowing in The Clan of the Cave Bear. Cite 3 examples of foreshadowing. Explain how each example is used to indicate future events in the novel.
2) There are also many symbols used in the novel. Discuss 3 symbols used in the novel. How are these symbols used? What is their meaning?
3) How is irony used in the novel? Discuss 3 examples of dramatic irony used in the novel. How can the situations or events be seen as ironic?
This section contains 1,117 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)