|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of tools are women of the clan allowed to make?
2. Iza is old for her first pregnancy. How old is she?
3. What is the lioness stalking when the girl gets too close?
4. What most influences the leader to let Iza help the girl?
5. What painkilling bark does Iza give Ayla for her fever and painful scratches?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ayla decide while she is practicing with the sling?
2. What does Brun realize when he sees the hyena's wounds?
3. Why does Creb take Durc to the other women for nursing?
4. How is Creb convinced that Ayla belongs with the clan now?
5. What does the girl do during the earthquake?
6. How does Ayla feel when she makes her first kill?
7. Why does Brun send Ayla to find Creb when he falls behind on the journey home?
8. Why does Brun decide to make the death curse temporary?
9. How do the clan members communicate?
10. Why does Brun put off a decision about mating Ayla?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The cave lion attack is a significant event in Ayla's life.
Part 1) How does the cave lion attack influence the clan's acceptance of Ayla?
Part 2) How might Ayla's fate have been different if the cave lion had not marked her in such a significant way?
Part 3) What other symbolism is significant to the clan concerning Ayla? How does it affect the clan's acceptance or non-acceptance of her?
Essay Topic 2
Ayla struggles with an internal conflict over using the sling.
Part 1) How does she justify using it the first time? How does she justify using it later? Identify the conflicting values behind her decision whether or not to pursue using the sling.
Part 2) Explain Ayla's realization that she cannot use the sling in a productive way. What does the porcupine symbolize? Why does she want to keep trying?
Part 3) How does the skill Ayla develops with the sling influence her relationships, especially with the men of the clan? Why does she have such a hard time feigning submission to male superiority?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about three traditions or beliefs of the clan (e.g., bringing animals back to the cave, touching a weapon, non-acceptance of deformed babies, etc.). What purpose do these traditions or beliefs serve in the framework of the clan's culture? How does Ayla have difficulty conforming to these traditions or beliefs?
This section contains 1,135 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)