|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ayla survive the attack after the sling misses it's mark?
2. Why does Iza take Ayla to the other women?
3. How many days transpire between a clan child's birth and naming day?
4. Why does Ayla go out alone?
5. What does Ayla want while the clan continues traveling?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the clan feel about Ayla staring as she learns the language?
2. Why is Iza so happy about the news that she may stay at the Mog-ur's hearth?
3. What leads the clan to find the girl?
4. How does Ayla feel when she makes her first kill?
5. What does Ayla focus on once cursed with death?
6. What does the clan do with deformed babies?
7. What does Oda's story make Ayla realize?
8. Why does Ayla think she should be able to keep the baby?
9. What does Creb realize about Durc?
10. What is Creb's argument for not cursing Ayla for almost trying to force Brun to accept the baby?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Creb is sure that the clan is doomed. Write an essay providing evidence to support or refute his conclusion that Ayla's kind will live on and his kind will die out. Use examples from the text. How does Ayla's ideas about how babies are started influence this theme? What role do Durc and his promised mate play?
Essay Topic 2
The clan incorporates a rich religious life in their culture and society.
Part 1) What are some of the elements of the clan's religion?
Part 2) How do these elements of the clan's religion enhance the novel?
Part 3) Compare and contrast Bear Ceremony to something in our culture, either a religious ceremony, or a similar secular event.
Essay Topic 3
Men and women have very clearly defined roles in The Clan of the Cave Bear. Write an essay exploring the women's place in the clan's society
Part 1) What is the women's place in the clan's society? How do the women feel about their position in the clan? Use examples from the text.
Part 2) How does the relationship between Iza and her siblings Creb and Brun demonstrate women's place in the clan? Does she get special privileges for being medicine woman? Does she get special privileges for being the leader's sibling? Does she get special privileges for being the Mog-ur's sibling?
Part 3) Does Ayla's behavior influence the other women of the clan? Use examples from the text.
This section contains 1,236 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)