|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ayla remember Zoug saying about killing animals that are meat eaters?
(a) Animals like a lynx or larger are easy to kill with a sling.
(b) Meat eaters are the best food for winter.
(c) It is better to kill them with a sling because you do not have to get so close.
(d) If you miss a meat eater with the sling, you can always follow up with a spear thrust.
2. Who sends Ayla to get wood with the other children?
3. What does Creb find in the cave that seals the Clan's acceptance of the space as their new home?
(a) A spring of clean water
(b) The skull of the cave bear
(c) Roe deer bones
(d) Hyena droppings
4. Why does another lion chase the girl?
(a) The small girl is a perfect meal for the lions.
(b) The girl ventures too close to the newborn lion cubs.
(c) The mother lion wants weak prey for her cubs to learn to kill.
(d) The lion's kill is threatened.
5. Why does Iza decide to teach Ayla medicine?
(a) She believes that Ayla will be too ugly to find a mate, so she needs status in her own right.
(b) She fears that she will not be able to take care of Creb much longer.
(c) She wants revenge on her cruel former mate.
(d) She fears that her medicine line will die with her.
6. How do the clan members differ from the girl?
(a) They have slight but powerful muscles.
(b) They have a short, thick neck that supports their long, large flat heads.
(c) They have tall, long foreheads with lots of blond hair.
(d) They have long, thin bones that make them tall and thin.
7. How does Ayla survive the attack after the sling misses it's mark?
(a) She beats the animal with a stout deadwood branch.
(b) She runs away and climbs a tree.
(c) She stabs the animal with a spear.
(d) She flings a second stone with the sling.
8. What happens while the women are preparing the mammoth for the journey home?
(a) A hyena grabs Brac and carries him off.
(b) Brac wanders off and gets lost.
(c) Brac falls into the rushing stream and nearly drowns.
(d) Brac gets too close to the herd and is trampled by mammoth.
9. What does Iza think is a usually a problem for women delivering babies?
(a) Not enough males are born.
(b) The babies' heads are too large.
(c) The babies are born too soon.
(d) Not enough females are born.
10. After Broud beats Ayla, what does Brun threaten?
(a) To beat Broud next time he loses control
(b) To make Broud leader of a new, lower-ranking clan
(c) To disown Broud and have him cursed with death
(d) To curse Ayla with death
11. What does Ayla find when she is looking for a place to practice her sling skills?
(a) Men of the Others
(b) A large supply of fresh flint
(c) A small cave
(d) An abandoned baby
12. Why does Creb reprimand Ayla?
(a) Ayla is drawing counting marks in the sand.
(b) Ayla is being discourteous by looking at other people's conversations.
(c) Ayla is being lazy.
(d) Ayla is pestering Iza too much.
13. Who is destined to be Broud's mate?
14. How does Iza transport the unconscious girl?
(a) On her back
(b) In a leather carrying cloak on her hip
(c) On a stretcher
(d) The men carry her
15. What kind of shelter does the girl's family have?
(a) A cave
(b) A mud-covered hut
(c) A hide-covered lean-to
(d) A wood frame house
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the clan allow gestures of affection?
2. What does Iza make for Ayla, meaning that Ayla will become one of the clan?
3. Why does Iza stop working while the women are winnowing grain?
4. What does the hunt indicate to the clan about the cave?
5. What had Brun planned to do to with Iza before she rescued Ayla?
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)