|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How tall is the woman leading the women?
(a) Five and a half feet
(b) Six and a half feet
(c) Three and a half feet
(d) Four and a half feet
2. How does Ayla act towards Broud after the beating?
(a) She treats him with earned respect.
(b) She begins a campaign of petty insolence.
(c) She laughs at him.
(d) She scurries in fear to meet his every need.
3. What does Ayla do at the sea that no one else knows how to do?
(a) She catches fish with her bare hands.
(b) She wades in the shallow water.
(c) She digs for clams.
(d) She swims.
4. How many members does the clan have after losing some in the earthquake?
5. How many days transpire between a clan child's birth and naming day?
6. Where do the lion's claws mark the girl with four parallel gashes?
(a) Her left arm
(b) Her left thigh
(c) Her right thigh
(d) Her back
7. What feature of Creb's hearth makes it especially ideal for him?
(a) The lack of sunlight keeps it from getting too hot.
(b) It is right next to the opening of the sacred ceremonial cave.
(c) An outcropping of stone protects him from the winds.
(d) It is right next to the outdoor spring of fresh water.
8. What are the men doing when Ayla sees them in the clearing?
(a) Practicing with their weapons
(b) Returning from a hunt
(c) Having a sacred ceremony
(d) Making tools
9. What does Ayla do when Creb reprimands her that worries him?
(a) She runs away.
(b) She cries tears.
(c) She lashes out in anger.
(d) She hugs him.
10. What does Iza believe about Ayla's future?
(a) She believes that Ayla will leave the clan when Broud becomes leader.
(b) She believes that Ayla will be one of the best medicine women because she has a gift.
(c) She believes that Ayla will have no status because she is ugly and will not have a mate.
(d) She believes that Ayla will be mated to a clan leader.
11. Why does Iza stop working while the women are winnowing grain?
(a) Creb wants her to save her energy for a ceremony.
(b) She must tend to a sick child.
(c) She is dying.
(d) She goes into labor.
12. Who is destined to be Broud's mate?
13. Where does Ayla begin hiding her sling as she learns to hunt?
(a) In the hazelnut bushes in front of her cave
(b) In the folds of her wrap
(c) In her collecting basket
(d) In her shoes
14. What is Broud's totem?
(a) Cave Bear
(b) Wooly Rhinoceros
(c) Wooly Mammoth
(d) Cave Lion
15. What does Ayla decide to do with her sling while on the mammoth hunt trip?
(a) Hide it deep in the folds of her wrap
(b) Leave it at her secret cave
(c) Wear it as a headband
(d) Leave it at the bottom of her carrying basket
Short Answer Questions
1. What ceremony does Brun hope to include in the cave ceremony celebration?
2. What does the hunt indicate to the clan about the cave?
3. After Broud beats Ayla, what does Brun threaten?
4. Why does Ayla start paying attention to Zoug?
5. What does Broud have to do to prove he is now a man?
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)