|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does guilt express itself, according to Freud?
2. What does Freud say happens when men do not exercise their aggression?
3. What does Freud say the feeling of guilt expresses?
4. Where does Freud say society sets up institutions to monitor behavior?
5. What does Freud quote the poet Schiller as saying make the world go round?
Short Essay Questions
1. What conclusion does Freud’s discussion of the Golden Rule lead him to make about human nature?
2. What difficulty does Freud say he would expect in any analysis that sought to analyze society’s neuroses?
3. Where does Freud say the feeling of guilt originates?
4. How does Freud characterize the super-ego’s cultural function?
5. What insights does Freud offer into the value of communism?
6. How does Freud characterize the traditional view of the extremes of pleasure and pain in love?
7. How does Freud characterize the mindset of people who do not appreciate the reality he is describing, of hostility as a fundamental force of human nature?
8. How does Freud describe the function of narcissism in the ego?
9. In what way does Freud say that primitive man was indeed happier than civilized man?
10. How does Freud say unconscious guilt expresses itself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What topics would you like to research further, after reading Civilization and Its Discontents. Describe why additional research or reading would be beneficial to an understanding of this book. Propose a list of articles or books you would read in order to get a better handle on Civilization and Its Discontents.
Essay Topic 2
According to Freud, guilt regulates the internal urges of each individual, although Freud says that by so doing, it engenders resentment that has to be repressed in turn, engendering further guilt. This cycle could result in an eternal spiral of repression and aggression and guilt—what keeps it from becoming psychologically damaging, or out of control?
Essay Topic 3
Write an evaluative review of Civilization and Its Discontents. What is this book’s place in culture? What are its uses? What are its limitations?
This section contains 1,016 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)