|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What else does Freud say can disturb the distinction between id and ego?
2. What word does Freud use to characterize his friend’s religious feeling?
3. How does Freud characterize the modified kind of love?
4. What does Freud say is the link between religion and childhood?
5. How does Freud characterize the law culture has to obey through each of its members?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the advantages and disadvantages of denying the world, in Freud's account?
2. Where does Freud says that the man’s need for religion comes from?
3. How does Freud say the love instinct has changed throughout the development of civilization?
4. When does Freud say this view came into fashion?
5. What does Freud say is the relationship between love and aim-inhibited love?
6. What role does Freud say genital erotic life plays in the development of the civilized man?
7. How would you describe Freud’s style of argumentation?
8. Where does Freud say suffering comes from?
9. What are the advantages and disadvantages of beauty as a consolation for the difficulties of reality?
10. What is Freud’s personal feeling about religion?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Would you recommend Civilization and Its Discontents? For what purposes would you recommend Civilization and Its Discontents, and what kinds of readers would you recommend it for? What other book would you recommend that would cover the same material or tell the same story in a different way?
Essay Topic 2
Write a character sketch of the author based on his style and content. What values does he hold dear? What are his hopes and fears? What kind of person do you think he is? Anchor your sketch in passages in the book.
Essay Topic 3
Evaluate your own reading of Civilization and Its Discontents—did you resist it, or were you compelled by the story? What does your reading tell you about yourself and your interests? Use specific examples from the book to describe yourself as a reader.
This section contains 977 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)