|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Freud say people are hostile toward civilization?
(a) Because it is antagonistic to nature.
(b) Because it is an obstacle to religion.
(c) Because it makes promises it cannot fulfill.
(d) Because it is imposed from without.
2. Who does Freud say we act like, when we substitute a wish-fulfillment for an unbearable aspect of the world?
(a) The pathological liar.
(b) The artist.
(c) The schizophrenic.
(d) The paranoiac.
3. What does Freud say wise men have ever warned against?
(b) Erotic love.
4. What does Freud say we are typically quite sure of?
(a) The sensation of falling out of the world into dreams.
(b) The feeling of our own self.
(c) The feeling of being lost in the world.
(d) The feeling of a personal god.
5. What does Freud say we will never overcome?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Freud say his friend experiences religion?
2. Who does Freud say are the parents of human cultures?
3. How do lovers, in Freud's account, detach themselves from the danger of encountering pain through love?
4. What is the first purpose civilization serves, in Freud's account?
5. What quality does Freud say characterizes religion’s explanations?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Freud say progress has not made modern man any happier?
2. What does Freud say was the consequence of man’s realization that his lot could be improved by his own labors?
3. What does Freud say is the end-result of a civilization?
4. What does Freud say is the difference between love and aim-inhibited love?
5. Where does Freud says that the man’s need for religion comes from?
6. What is the importance of the argument about conservation in the mind?
7. What is Freud’s personal feeling about religion?
8. What does Freud say is the difference between creating art and enjoying art?
9. What does Freud say is the relationship between love and aim-inhibited love?
10. According to Freud, what is the feeling with which his friend resists his arguments about religion?
This section contains 1,103 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)