|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Freud say is the most effective way to influence the body?
2. What does Freud say breaks the boundary between id and ego?
(a) Being sick.
(b) Being in love.
(c) Religious experiences.
3. What is the totemic stage of society based on, according to Freud’s Totem and Taboo?
(a) A taboo surrounding women, particularly during menstruation.
(b) An unapproachable authority of the father.
(c) The mother’s desire to keep her progeny close to her.
(d) An mutual non-aggression agreement between brothers.
4. What does Freud say distinguishes happiness from troubles?
(a) We take it for granted.
(b) We view it subjectively.
(c) We are always surprised by it.
(d) We view it objectively.
5. What does Freud say is the relation between society and the individual’s desire for freedom?
(b) Mutual exclusion.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Freud say civilization could not survive without?
2. What does Freud say society’s principal endeavor is?
3. What does Freud say was the first result of human culture?
4. What does Freud say wise men have ever warned against?
5. What does Freud say is the link between religion and childhood?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Freud say progress has not made modern man any happier?
2. How does the role of women change, as men began to feel torn between sensual and aim-inhibited love?
3. How would you describe Freud’s style of argumentation?
4. How does Freud characterize modern progress?
5. How does Freud say instincts react when they are resisted through intoxication or through other forms of avoidance?
6. What does Freud say the ordinary man understands by his religion?
7. How does Freud characterize the roles of Eros and Ananke in the development of civilization?
8. What is Freud's response to his friend's feeling?
9. What does Freud say is the end-result of a civilization?
10. What does Freud say are the benefits and dangers of intoxication?
This section contains 1,047 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)