|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Freud say is the most effective way to influence the body?
2. What is the first purpose civilization serves, in Freud's account?
(a) Increasing the number of members of society.
(b) Improving the economy.
(c) Domesticating nature for human use.
(d) Protecting human beings from nature.
3. What does Freud say distinguishes happiness from troubles?
(a) We are always surprised by it.
(b) We view it objectively.
(c) We view it subjectively.
(d) We take it for granted.
4. What does Freud say is the best way to escape from discomfort?
(a) By fulfilling all desires.
(b) By escaping from the society into solitude.
(c) By taming nature through science.
(d) By removing all temptations.
5. What does Freud compare civilization to?
(a) A permissive regime.
(b) A diplomatic mission.
(c) A repressive regime.
(d) A form of market haggling.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what realization does Freud say primitive man started to be civilized?
2. Which development does Freud say is without prototype?
3. What does Freud say wise men have ever warned against?
4. What does Freud say is the highest state of mind deemed capable for man?
5. How does Freud characterize the modified kind of love?
Short Essay Questions
1. How would you describe Freud’s style of argumentation?
2. What is Freud's response to his friend's feeling?
3. What misconception does Freud dispel at the end of Chapter 3?
4. What role does dirt play, in civilization, according to Freud?
5. According to Freud, what is the feeling with which his friend resists his arguments about religion?
6. Where does Freud says that the man’s need for religion comes from?
7. Why does Freud say progress has not made modern man any happier?
8. How does the role of women change, as men began to feel torn between sensual and aim-inhibited love?
9. How does Freud say the love instinct has changed throughout the development of civilization?
10. What role does Freud say genital erotic life plays in the development of the civilized man?
This section contains 1,022 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)