|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With what realization does Freud say primitive man started to be civilized?
(a) That the earth would not provide for him always.
(b) That his lot was in his own hands.
(c) That he was capable of making tools.
(d) That he was capable of controlling his environment.
2. What does Freud say we will never overcome?
3. What does Freud say is the point of order and regulation?
(a) Reducing anxiety.
(b) Reducing the effect of nature.
(c) Perfecting God's work.
(d) Increasing cleanliness.
4. When does fate lose its power over men, according to Freud?
(a) When man takes physical pleasure from his environment.
(b) When man takes pleasure from mental work.
(c) When man takes pleasure from self-renunciation.
(d) When man takes pleasure from religious feelings.
5. Which of man’s conceptions does Freud say men embodied in gods?
(c) Cultural history.
6. What does Freud say happens to things that are formed in the mind?
(a) They never vanish.
(b) They disappear if they are not recalled.
(c) They become specters.
(d) They naturally disappear in time.
7. What is society based on, according to Freud?
(a) Religious prohibitions.
(b) Development of laws.
(c) Individual liberty.
(d) Common sacrifice.
8. Who does Freud say we act like, when we substitute a wish-fulfillment for an unbearable aspect of the world?
(a) The paranoiac.
(b) The pathological liar.
(c) The schizophrenic.
(d) The artist.
9. What does Freud say people undervalue?
(a) The value of power and success.
(b) The desire to revenge childhood wrongs.
(c) The truly valuable things in life.
(d) The need for a spiritual life.
10. What does Freud say a psychologist is in danger of forgetting?
(a) The power of sexism.
(b) The techniques for avoiding confrontation.
(c) The history of racism.
(d) The variety of mankind.
11. What does Freud say civilization could not survive without?
12. What does Freud say is the danger of intoxication?
(a) It wastes valuable energies.
(b) It wastes valuable energies.
(c) It causes regrets in sober men.
(d) It is destructive.
13. What does Freud say is the relation between society and the individual’s desire for freedom?
(b) Mutual exclusion.
14. What does Freud say he will study in order to explore the question of how men find meaning in life?
(a) Ancient Greek texts.
(b) Brain science.
(c) Men’s behavior.
(d) Pathology reports.
15. What does Freud say is the first requirement of civilization?
Short Answer Questions
1. When can a feeling be a source of energy, according to Freud?
2. How do lovers, in Freud's account, detach themselves from the danger of encountering pain through love?
3. What is the second cause that increased men’s dissatisfaction with civilization?
4. What is the first purpose civilization serves, in Freud's account?
5. What feature of culture characterizes it better than any other, according to Freud?
This section contains 547 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)