|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What notion is it that “draws up the programme of life’s purpose” in Freud's account?
(a) The pleasure principle.
(b) The generative impulse.
(c) The death drive.
(d) The reality principle.
2. Freud says that people typically do not want to see human beings as innately cruel and destructive—What idea about human do they hold to instead?
(a) That man is made in God’s benign image.
(b) That inequality and violence are the result of exploitation.
(c) That human flaws are the result of bad decisions.
(d) That human beings are essentially tormented creatures.
3. Where does Freud say society sets up institutions to monitor behavior?
(a) In every city.
(b) In every patriarch.
(c) In people’s minds.
(d) In every family.
4. Who does Freud say the savage blames if bad things happen to him?
(a) His society.
(b) His fetish.
(c) His fate.
5. What does Freud say is the highest state of mind deemed capable for man?
(a) Love of a brother.
(b) Love of a spouse.
(c) Love a child.
(d) Love of humanity.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Freud say was the first result of human culture?
2. What does Freud posit in the conclusion of Beyond the Pleasure Principle (1920)?
3. What does Freud say are the two forces driving all human activities?
4. What is Freud surprised that people have overlooked in their ideas about human nature?
5. What does a person who has science and art have, according to the poet Freud quotes?
This section contains 303 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)