|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Freud describe the libido’s disinclination to relinquish an old position for a new one?
(a) As inertia.
(b) As synthesis.
(c) As regression.
(d) As conservatism.
2. How else does Freud’s friend characterize religion?
(a) An impersonal, out-of-body experience.
(b) A transcendent, unbounded experience.
(c) A purely personal experience.
(d) A mathematical certainty.
3. What does Freud say wise men have ever warned against?
(c) Erotic love.
4. What does Freud say men should make humble obeisance” to?
(a) The divine grace of God.
(b) The power of the state to regulate human affairs.
(c) The high-minded nature of man.
(d) The power of the Devil, or man’s innate destructiveness.
5. How does Freud say society endeavors to restrict violence?
(a) By claiming violence as its sole right.
(b) Be exiling violent people.
(c) By authorizing violence for certain uses.
(d) By forcing self-monitoring in the people.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which relation does Freud NOT list as evidence of the relations whose regulation constitutes civilization?
2. What does Freud say is the only branch of knowledge that can answer the question of the purpose of life?
3. What explanation does Freud offer for believing in loving his enemies?
4. What question does Freud say no one asks?
5. Where does Freud say the ability to distinguish between good and evil comes from?
This section contains 323 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)