|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When can a feeling be a source of energy, according to Freud?
(a) When it comes from an external source.
(b) When it is motivated by religious intuition.
(c) When it originates in a powerful need.
(d) When it originates in pure intuition.
2. How does Freud describe society relationship with sexuality?
(a) It drives sexual energy out so it has no outlet.
(b) It destroys any objects the sexual life could claim outside marriage.
(c) It controls it by levying sexual energy.
(d) It starves the psyche so that sexual life is not fed.
3. With what realization does Freud say primitive man started to be civilized?
(a) That he was capable of making tools.
(b) That his lot was in his own hands.
(c) That the earth would not provide for him always.
(d) That he was capable of controlling his environment.
4. How does Freud characterize the artist’s joy in creating, relative to other pleasures?
(a) More intense.
(d) Less realistic.
5. What else does Freud say can disturb the distinction between id and ego?
(a) Pathological processes.
(b) Transcendent experiences.
(c) Drug-induced experiences.
(d) Morbid processes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Freud say is the danger of intoxication?
2. What is the first purpose civilization serves, in Freud's account?
3. Where does Freud say the religious feeling comes from?
4. How does Freud say his friend experiences religion?
5. What does Freud say is the result of any cessation of the external violence?
This section contains 316 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)