|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Freud say distinguishes happiness from troubles?
(a) We view it subjectively.
(b) We take it for granted.
(c) We view it objectively.
(d) We are always surprised by it.
2. What does Freud’s friend say he wishes Freud appreciated more fully?
(a) The reality of myths and gods.
(b) The danger of disbelief.
(c) Man’s ability to invent his gods.
(d) The source of religious sentiments.
3. Which of man’s conceptions does Freud say men embodied in gods?
(b) Cultural history.
4. Which development does Freud say is without prototype?
(a) The development of weapons.
(b) The discovery of fire.
(c) The construction of houses.
(d) The ability to communicate.
5. Which of the following is NOT one of the “palliative remedies” men seek out in order to assuage the difficulty of life?
(a) Powerful diversions of interest.
(b) Intoxicating substances.
(c) Substitutive gratifications.
(d) Meditation and mysticism.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Freud say people are hostile toward civilization?
2. What does a person who has science and art have, according to the poet Freud quotes?
3. What does Freud say a psychologist is in danger of forgetting?
4. What does Freud say this notion is in conflict with?
5. What does a person have who does not have science or art, according to the poet Freud?
This section contains 260 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)