|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Freud says that he sent a friend a copy of his book—how does Freud’s book characterize religion?
(a) As a scam.
(b) As an opiate.
(c) As a source of life.
(d) As an ilusion.
2. What supposition does Freud make about this structure’s relationship with the psyche?
(a) That its whole history still exists at once.
(b) That even its present structure is already a ruins.
(c) That its whole past has vanished except for the living moment.
(d) That a person could decide which layers of history to see.
3. When can a feeling be a source of energy, according to Freud?
(a) When it originates in pure intuition.
(b) When it is motivated by religious intuition.
(c) When it originates in a powerful need.
(d) When it comes from an external source.
4. How else does Freud’s friend characterize religion?
(a) An impersonal, out-of-body experience.
(b) A purely personal experience.
(c) A mathematical certainty.
(d) A transcendent, unbounded experience.
5. What does Freud say breaks the boundary between id and ego?
(b) Being sick.
(c) Being in love.
(d) Religious experiences.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Freud say he will study in order to explore the question of how men find meaning in life?
2. Which of man’s conceptions does Freud say men embodied in gods?
3. When does fate lose its power over men, according to Freud?
4. How does Freud say his friend experiences religion?
5. What feature of culture characterizes it better than any other, according to Freud?
This section contains 320 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)