|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT one of the “palliative remedies” men seek out in order to assuage the difficulty of life?
(a) Intoxicating substances.
(b) Powerful diversions of interest.
(c) Meditation and mysticism.
(d) Substitutive gratifications.
2. What does Freud say breaks the boundary between id and ego?
(a) Being sick.
(c) Religious experiences.
(d) Being in love.
3. How does Freud say the ego appears to the id?
(a) As a façade.
(b) As an ingredient.
(c) As an obstacle.
(d) As a story.
4. Who does Freud say we act like, when we substitute a wish-fulfillment for an unbearable aspect of the world?
(a) The artist.
(b) The pathological liar.
(c) The schizophrenic.
(d) The paranoiac.
5. What does Freud say people wrongly think they want?
(a) Power and success.
(b) Control over the people around them.
(c) Inner peace and spiritual development.
(d) Healthy adjustment to their environment.
Short Answer Questions
1. What supposition does Freud make about this structure’s relationship with the psyche?
2. What does Freud say about the adult ego?
3. What does Freud say we are typically quite sure of?
4. What does Freud say civilization could not survive without?
5. What paternal quality does Freud attribute to God?
This section contains 327 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)