|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Freud say dwellings substitute for?
(a) The mother’s womb.
(b) The first cradle.
(c) Society's laws.
(d) Society itself.
2. Who does Freud say we act like, when we substitute a wish-fulfillment for an unbearable aspect of the world?
(a) The paranoiac.
(b) The pathological liar.
(c) The schizophrenic.
(d) The artist.
3. When does Freud say we are most susceptible to suffering?
(a) When we enjoy art.
(b) When we retreat.
(c) When we make art.
(d) When we love.
4. What does the libido cathect in a narcissist, according to Freud?
(a) The ego.
(b) The beloved.
(d) The father.
5. What is the ego instinct antithetical to, according to Freud?
(a) The reality principle.
(c) The pleasure principle.
(d) Libidinal instincts.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Freud say he can tell that the death instinct exists?
2. How does Freud characterize the impulse behind he injunction to love thy neighbor as thyself?
3. What does Freud say is the relation between ‘love thy neighbor as thyself’ and ‘love thine enemies’?
4. How does Freud characterize women’s influence on civilization?
5. Which of the following is NOT one of the advantages of civilization, in Freud's account?
This section contains 269 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)