|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Freud say we act like, when we substitute a wish-fulfillment for an unbearable aspect of the world?
(a) The artist.
(b) The schizophrenic.
(c) The pathological liar.
(d) The paranoiac.
2. When does fate lose its power over men, according to Freud?
(a) When man takes pleasure from self-renunciation.
(b) When man takes pleasure from religious feelings.
(c) When man takes pleasure from mental work.
(d) When man takes physical pleasure from his environment.
3. What is the totemic stage of society based on, according to Freud’s Totem and Taboo?
(a) An mutual non-aggression agreement between brothers.
(b) A taboo surrounding women, particularly during menstruation.
(c) The mother’s desire to keep her progeny close to her.
(d) An unapproachable authority of the father.
4. Where does Freud say man’s sense of guilt originates?
(a) In the desire a child has to return to an earlier state.
(b) In the Oedipal murder of the father.
(c) In the fear of the loss of love.
(d) In the rejection of actual authorities for conscience.
5. What does Freud say is the only acceptable goal of marriage?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Freud say is the outcome of the struggle between libido and the interests of self-preservation?
2. What does Freud say needs to be taken into account when considering the love one should have for neighbors and enemies?
3. What does Freud say is still necessary, if men are united in love?
4. What does Freud say love seeks for?
5. How does Freud characterize writing?
This section contains 307 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)