|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What word does Freud use to characterize his friend’s religious feeling?
2. To what subject does Freud turn in order to know how society controls aggression?
(a) Rites of passage.
(b) Individual development.
(c) Corrective institutions.
(d) Social ties.
3. What does Freud say this notion is in conflict with?
(a) The history of religion.
(b) Man's conscience.
(c) All of reality.
(d) Organized religion.
4. When does fate lose its power over men, according to Freud?
(a) When man takes pleasure from mental work.
(b) When man takes pleasure from religious feelings.
(c) When man takes physical pleasure from his environment.
(d) When man takes pleasure from self-renunciation.
5. What does Freud say he seeks in scientific work?
(a) Elaboration of the variations of possible truths.
(b) Simplification without ignoring facts.
(c) Fulfillment of ideas and hypotheses.
(d) New ways of describing familiar facts.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Freud say a neighbor tempts a man to?
2. What does Freud say is the first act of civilization?
3. What does Freud say needs to be taken into account when considering the love one should have for neighbors and enemies?
4. What does Freud say the dangerous and hostile aspects of love are typically attributed to?
5. What is the first purpose civilization serves, in Freud's account?
This section contains 270 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)