|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What word does Freud use to characterize his friend’s religious feeling?
2. When does Freud say we are most susceptible to suffering?
(a) When we make art.
(b) When we enjoy art.
(c) When we love.
(d) When we retreat.
3. What does Freud say distinguishes the internal from the external, in the infant?
(a) The infant sees all pleasure as coming in from the outside.
(b) The infant gets to use these categories creatively.
(c) The infant see unpleasant experiences as internal.
(d) The infant treats whatever is unpleasant as external.
4. Which of man’s conceptions does Freud say men embodied in gods?
(d) Cultural history.
5. What does Freud say is the first act of civilization?
(a) The use of prayer.
(b) The use of tools.
(c) The use of language.
(d) The use of art.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Freud say the religious feeling comes from?
2. What quality does Freud say characterizes religion’s explanations?
3. Who does Freud say we act like, when we substitute a wish-fulfillment for an unbearable aspect of the world?
4. What does Freud say happens to things that are formed in the mind?
5. What does Freud say about the adult ego?
This section contains 284 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)