|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Freud characterize the artist’s joy in creating, relative to other pleasures?
(a) Less realistic.
(b) More intense.
2. What is the first purpose civilization serves, in Freud's account?
(a) Improving the economy.
(b) Protecting human beings from nature.
(c) Increasing the number of members of society.
(d) Domesticating nature for human use.
3. Which of the following is NOT one of the advantages of civilization, in Freud's account?
(a) The regulation of sexual desire.
(b) The regulation of rivers.
(c) The development of communications technologies.
(d) The exploitation of minerals.
4. What does Freud say distinguishes happiness from troubles?
(a) We take it for granted.
(b) We view it subjectively.
(c) We are always surprised by it.
(d) We view it objectively.
5. What kinds of examples does Freud offer as examples of modern progress?
(a) Improvements in urban infrastructure.
(b) Medical improvements.
(c) Military improvements.
(d) Transportation improvements.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Freud say we are typically quite sure of?
2. How else does Freud’s friend characterize religion?
3. When can a feeling be a source of energy, according to Freud?
4. What physical structure does Freud compare the psyche to?
5. What does Freud say about his friend’s religious feeling?
This section contains 291 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)