|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Freud say his friend experiences religion?
(a) As a feeling of eternity.
(b) As a feeling of being cared for.
(c) As a feeling of being swindled.
(d) As a feeling of floating.
2. How does Freud characterize the artist’s joy in creating, relative to other pleasures?
(c) Less realistic.
(d) More intense.
3. What does Freud say is the danger of intoxication?
(a) It causes regrets in sober men.
(b) It wastes valuable energies.
(c) It is destructive.
(d) It wastes valuable energies.
4. What is the first cause that increased men’s dissatisfaction with civilization?
(a) The failure to manifest heaven on earth.
(b) The excesses of modern scientific methods.
(c) The relative happiness of Indians.
(d) The filthiness of most gardens.
5. How does Freud characterize writing?
(a) As an exteriorization of the inner voice.
(b) As an externalization of the voice of the absent.
(c) As a record of God's thoughts.
(d) As a manifestation of the unconscious.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Freud say we are typically quite sure of?
2. Which of the following is NOT a place Freud says suffering comes from?
3. Which of the following is NOT one of the “palliative remedies” men seek out in order to assuage the difficulty of life?
4. What word does Freud use to characterize his friend’s religious feeling?
5. What does Freud say is the relation between society and the individual’s desire for freedom?
This section contains 281 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)