|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the first purpose civilization serves, in Freud's account?
(a) Increasing the number of members of society.
(b) Domesticating nature for human use.
(c) Protecting human beings from nature.
(d) Improving the economy.
2. What is the second purpose civilization serves, in Freud's account?
(a) Regulating relations between men.
(b) Making it possible to improve medical science.
(c) Liberating man from the shackles of nature.
(d) Reducing ignorance and prejudice.
3. Where does Freud say the religious feeling comes from?
(a) A child's need for food.
(b) A child's need for God.
(c) A child's need for a mother.
(d) A child’s need for a father.
4. How does Freud characterize religion?
5. What does Freud say he has a hard time believing about his friend’s experience?
(a) That it is not the fountain and origin of all religious feelings.
(b) That nature should provide such a direct feeling of connection.
(c) That more people do not share it.
(d) That it has not been adequately described in religious literature.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which development does Freud say is without prototype?
2. What does Freud say about the adult ego?
3. What does Freud say about happiness as a goal for men’s lives?
4. Which of the following is NOT a place Freud says suffering comes from?
5. What notion is it that “draws up the programme of life’s purpose” in Freud's account?
This section contains 314 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)