|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Freud says that people typically do not want to see human beings as innately cruel and destructive—What idea about human do they hold to instead?
(a) That human beings are essentially tormented creatures.
(b) That inequality and violence are the result of exploitation.
(c) That human flaws are the result of bad decisions.
(d) That man is made in God’s benign image.
2. What is Freud surprised that people have overlooked in their ideas about human nature?
(a) The universality of non-erotic aggression.
(b) The fundamental kindness and love of others.
(c) The dangers associated with libidinal liberty.
(d) The near-universality of the incest taboo in adults.
3. What does Freud say is the most effective way to influence the body?
4. What does Freud posit in the conclusion of Beyond the Pleasure Principle (1920)?
(a) A death instinct.
(b) The reality principle.
(c) The importance of narcissism.
(d) The importance of sadism.
5. How does Freud characterize the aim of the modified sex instinct, in people who find happiness along the path of love?
(a) A fulfilled aim.
(b) An inhibited aim.
(c) A transcendent aim.
(d) A manifest aim.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does fate lose its power over men, according to Freud?
2. What does Freud say is the danger of intoxication?
3. What does Freud say society’s principal endeavor is?
4. What question does Freud say no one asks?
5. Which of the following is NOT one of the “palliative remedies” men seek out in order to assuage the difficulty of life?
This section contains 350 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)