|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What opinion do Eve and Benny have of Sean?
2. Who saves Benny from having to go home with Sean Walsh escorting her?
3. What does Simon tell Heather was the reason they had not known Eve before?
4. What does Nan tell her father she was afraid of his doing if he came to the hospital?
5. What exposes Benny's lack of sophistication when asked to join a Dutch party?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Benny tell Jack she is Cinderella?
2. What happens when Nan goes home after leaving the hospital?
3. Why does Dr. Foley ask his son Jack to drive him to Knockglen?
4. Detail what portends a future problem in the novel.
5. What is the tragedy at the end of Chapter 3?
6. How does Benny show her innocence when Jack invites her to a Dutch party?
7. Describe the problem arising over Eve's future education.
8. What surprise awaits Benny when she goes to meet Jack?
9. What is Nan's activity at the dance?
10. What does Benny learn about how Eve has lived all these years that Benny has pitied her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typed, double-spaced pages on Irony in Circle of Friends. (1) Begin with a discussion about what makes a situation ironic. (2) Use Nan as an illustration of the one who always knows what to do or say to put people at ease being the character who does the most damage to the friends. (3) Mention the irony of Dr. Foley, who works to save lives, being the one who takes Frank's life. (4) Explain the irony of both Nan and Simon thinking the other one is rich. (5) Note the irony of Mrs. Healy marrying Sean.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typed, double-spaced pages on Empathy. Mother Francis is the most empathetic character in the novel. Discuss in your essay the different ways she deals with Eve, Kit, and Heather. Conclude with an evaluation of empathizing with people's particular problems.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typed, double-spaced pages on Benny as an Unlikely Heroine. (1) Define her strengths and weaknesses. (2) Explain why you think
Maeve Binchy chose a girl like Benny to be the central character of the novel. (3) How do you see Benny as the epitome of a good friend? (4) Discuss Benny as
an overprotected young lady who acquiesces to her parents' rules.
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)