|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Benny do as she and Jack Foley walk through Knockglen?
2. What is in a letter for Benny that she does not want Nan and Eve to know about?
3. What is Benny hoping for from her parents?
4. Who does Jack Foley meet in the hospital?
5. What does Eve tell Benny about Kit?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the problem arising over Eve's future education.
2. How does Nan get a generous allowance from her father, Brian Mahon, when she starts at the university?
3. Why are Benny and Eve in the Healy Hotel and what are they doing?
4. What do Eve and Heather talk about as they get better acquainted?
5. What bothers Benny at the party and dance when she wears the dress Clodagh made for her?
6. Why does Dr. Foley ask his son Jack to drive him to Knockglen?
7. Describe the first pangs of Jealousy Benny feels with Nan and Eve.
8. How does Benny reprimand her father for sending Sean to bring her home?
9. What is Nan's comment when Benny cannot stay for Frank's funeral and has to take the bus back home?
10. How does Nan react when Eve tells her all about Westward?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typed, double-spaced pages on Dealing With Death in Circle of Friends. First, describe how Kit needs Mother Francis' help to deal with the death of her son, Frank; and next, describe how Benny and Annabel deal with Eddie's death by depending on each other. Conclude with the part good friendships play during times of tragedy.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typed, double-spaced pages on Rising to the Occasion. Use the character of Annabel in three phases--first, as a dutiful housewife and subservient to her husband Eddie; second, as a devastated widow ill prepared to manage life without a husband; and third, as a businesswoman, changed and confident as she learns to manage the business.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typed, double-spaced pages on Irony in Circle of Friends. (1) Begin with a discussion about what makes a situation ironic. (2) Use Nan as an illustration of the one who always knows what to do or say to put people at ease being the character who does the most damage to the friends. (3) Mention the irony of Dr. Foley, who works to save lives, being the one who takes Frank's life. (4) Explain the irony of both Nan and Simon thinking the other one is rich. (5) Note the irony of Mrs. Healy marrying Sean.
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)