|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Benny hoping for from her parents?
2. How badly is Eve hurt?
3. Why does Jack want Benny at his parents' sherry party?
4. What is the argument about between Nan and her father Brian?
5. What advice does Nan give Benny when she learns Jack is coming to visit her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Clodagh tell Fonzie not to write her any more letters?
2. How do Benny and Annabel discuss Eve?
3. What is Eve wearing at the dance that gets her many compliments?
4. What is Nan's activity at the dance?
5. What bothers Benny at the party and dance when she wears the dress Clodagh made for her?
6. Explain Kit Hegarty's fear about her only son.
7. Explain the invention of Eve and Benny they use to sort out their problems.
8. Describe the problem arising over Eve's future education.
9. What are two surprises Eve gets when she visits Westlands?
10. How does Nan get a generous allowance from her father, Brian Mahon, when she starts at the university?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typed, double-spaced pages on The Character of Benny in Circle of Friends. Divide the essay into three main points--Benny physically, Benny mentally and psychologically, and Benny at the end of the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typed, double-spaced pages on My Recommendation for Circle of Friends. In your essay that either recommends the novel or not, be specific in your reasons. Deal with (1) the plot line and sub plots; (2) the development of the characters; and (3) the use of complications. After analyzing the story, put your recommendation at the end of the essay.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typed, double-spaced pages on Dysfunctional Families. (1) The Mahon family is the most dysfunctional because of Brian's alcoholism. Explain in detail why that is, speculating whether Nan would have been the same had her family life been better. (2) Even good families have times of dysfunction as in the case with Dr. Foley's family with his wife's insecurity. (3) The Westward family's dysfunction has literally destroyed the family unit. Your essay should discuss in detail the dysfunctions of each of these families and point out the results of those problems.
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)