|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Eve ashamed?
(a) she said harsh words to Mother Clare
(b) she pushed the boy into the car
(c) she jumped in fornt of the car deliberately
(d) she did not plan to call Mother Francis
2. What is Eve doing when Benny asks her to put down a knife?
(a) playing mumblypeg
(b) talking about suicide
(c) talking about Simon
(d) cutting bread
3. What does Benny see in the mirror after trying on the new clothes?
(a) a large girl who looks like a clown
(b) a large child with a red face wearing a jumper
(c) a large child ready to leave for school
(d) a large girl who looks slimmer in the new clothes
4. Why is Benny nervous at the dance?
(a) she hasn't been asked to dance
(b) the boys are all looking at her prow
(c) she feels big and ugly
(d) she fears her parents are coming
5. Why does Kit feel sorry for Benny?
(a) she thinks Benny is too protected
(b) she thinks Eve is about to forget her
(c) she doesn't know how the girls make fun of her
(d) she is being overshadowned by Nan
6. What exposes Benny's lack of sophistication when asked to join a Dutch party?
(a) she asks why Dutch and not English
(b) she asks if it means going skating
(c) she asks if they have to wear clogs
(d) she asks if it is in Amsterdam
7. Why does Even not go to university with Benny?
(a) she could not get money from her inheritance
(b) her grades were not good enough
(c) the convent cannot afford to send her there
(d) she wants to learn a trade and go to work
8. Why does Nan not notify her parents?
(a) she knows they don't care
(b) she thinks they will make her come home
(c) her mother has a heart condition
(d) her mother is at work and her father will make a fuss
9. What does Mrs. Hegarty say about Eve's impact on the house?
(a) she should have brought in females a long time ago
(b) she worries about what the boys might do with Eve
(c) she says Eve should work more and talk less
(d) she knew it would be a mistake to invite Eve
10. Where is Mother Francis taking Eve?
(a) to another hospital
(b) back to Knockglen
(c) to Benny's house in Knockglen
(d) back to Mother Clare
11. Why is Annabel worried about Patsy going out with Rooney?
(a) she might find a higher paying job
(b) she might start staying out too late
(c) she might ruin her reputation
(d) she might get married and leave the Hogans
12. What do Patsy and Annabel do for Jack's visit?
(a) iron Benny's best dress
(b) go out and leave them alone
(c) decorate the house
(d) plan a meal
13. Who was Bunty Brown that Mother Francis tells Kit about?
(a) a friend of Jack's
(b) one of her nuns
(c) a girl who died young
(d) herself as a young girl
14. Who is the blonde girl Benny meets at the accident site?
(a) Nan Mahon
(b) Kit Hegarty
(d) Jack Foley's daughter
15. Who does Nan leave to come speak with Benny?
(c) some boys
(d) a teacher
Short Answer Questions
1. Why can't Benny accept Eve's invitation to stay overnight with her?
2. Why does Eve not visit Knockglen on the weekends?
3. Who saves Benny from having to go home with Sean Walsh escorting her?
4. How old is Benny at the beginning of the novel?
5. What is making Benny feel stupid?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)