|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom does Barney want the narrator to live?
2. What did Barney work as in Redding?
3. Why does Phil say he hasn't bought a parking ticket?
4. What does Casey's teacher tell her after she slaps her with a ruler?
5. What does Phil call Casey's comics?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jasmine live the rest of her life?
2. What deal does the younger Walker make with the owls?
3. What has Phil done to ensure his family blends in with the white families?
4. What does Mr. Jeh do with the money Gilbert gives him?
5. How does Paw Paw hope her friend can help Casey?
6. How did Mr. Jeh survive when he first moved to San Francisco?
7. How does Booger bully Casey?
8. What problems does Casey initially have at her new school?
9. How does the younger Walker try to save his parents from starvation?
10. How do the Walkers help Peony, Jasmine, and their mother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do you think the Chinatown in San Francisco compares to the real China? What are the problems and benefits of having such communities?
Essay Topic 2
Why is it so difficult for Casey to leave her father? What kind of relationship do they have? How is the relationship effecting both?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the book's chronological setting. What were the main concerns during the 1960s? How does the author express these concerns? How would the author change the book if it was set in today's society?
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)