|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the narrator helping out Moe?
2. What did Barney work as in Redding?
3. With whom does Barney want the narrator to live?
4. What are the two ways Barney has always promised the narrator he would make money?
5. What was the name of the narrator's mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Paw Paw hope her friend can help Casey?
2. How did Mr. Jeh survive when he first moved to San Francisco?
3. Why doesn't Casey like Phil?
4. How does Paw Paw comfort Casey in this section?
5. Describe the park Paw-Paw takes Casey to.
6. What problems does Casey initially have at her new school?
7. What deal does the younger Walker make with the owls?
8. What negative effect does this section show that Barney's gambling addiction has had on Casey?
9. Why does Casey hate her new school?
10. Why does Casey feel such a strong bond with Paw Paw?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the book and helps to express character and theme: setting, point of view, structure, or language.
Essay Topic 2
Why is Barney so susceptible to addiction? How can Barney recover from his gambling addiction and fix his relationship with his daughter?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Phil seem so scared of his Chinese heritage? How does he try to hide his Chinese heritage from other people? How do you think his attitude will affect both him and his young family in the future?
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)