|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrator says that Phil sounds like _____________.
2. What does Phil call Casey's behavior in this section?
3. What does Phil call Casey's comics?
4. Which of the following comics does Casey pick from the newspaper stand?
5. What does Phil do for a job?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the Walkers help Peony, Jasmine, and their mother?
2. How does the younger Walker try to save his parents from starvation?
3. What deal does the younger Walker make with the owls?
4. How does Paw Paw hope her friend can help Casey?
5. How does Paw Paw comfort Casey in this section?
6. How does Jasmine live the rest of her life?
7. What negative effect does this section show that Barney's gambling addiction has had on Casey?
8. How did Mr. Jeh survive when he first moved to San Francisco?
9. Why does Casey feel such a strong bond with Paw Paw?
10. Why does Casey hate her new school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Phil seem so scared of his Chinese heritage? How does he try to hide his Chinese heritage from other people? How do you think his attitude will affect both him and his young family in the future?
Essay Topic 2
Pick a character from the book and discuss his or her goals and motives. Do they achieve their goals? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters' goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 3
Why is it important for Casey to understand her Chinese heritage? What does she learn from living in Chinatown?
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)