|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Charlotte recovers from her fever, what begins to depress her?
2. After three months of marriage, what has Crayton found out about La Rue?
3. What plans does Belcour have for Charlotte on the boat trip to America?
4. When Belcour arrives to visit Charlotte after John guiltily leaves, what does he do?
5. Why had Charlotte thought of going to New York?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Charlotte move Belcour?
2. How has John's feelings for Charlotte changed now that he loves Julia?
3. Why does John become upset about his relationship with Julia?
4. What motive would Belcour have in interfering with Charlotte's letters?
5. Why would John make arrangements with Belcour for Charlotte?
6. How is Charlotte's situation different than a wife whose husband ignores her?
7. What is the mood as the travelers arrive in New York?
8. How does Mrs. Beauchamp's actions concerning Charlotte indirectly characterize her?
9. Concerning Julia and Charlotte, what internal struggles does John face?
10. Why does Charlotte cry when the boat arrives in America?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is "Charlotte Temple" typical of the genre of a seduction novel?
Essay Topic 2
What is the greatest external conflict of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the chapter title, "Which People Void of Feeling Need Not Read"?
This section contains 915 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)