|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Arriving in New York, what does Charlotte think of finding female friends?
2. What does Belcour say to John concern in reference to his lack of will to marry Julia?
3. How does Belcour react when Crayton makes his announcement before the voyage to America is over?
4. When Charlotte tries writing to her parents after speaking to Mrs. Beauchamp for the first time, what are the results?
5. After John's marriage and lack of response to Charlotte, how has Charlotte's anguish left her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why would Mrs. Beauchamp devise a front to meet Charlotte?
2. How has John's feelings for Charlotte changed now that he loves Julia?
3. How does Charlotte plan her trip to the city as she is pregnant?
4. What is ironic about the timing of Charlotte's letter arriving to her parents?
5. Concerning Julia and Charlotte, what internal struggles does John face?
6. Why does John become upset about his relationship with Julia?
7. Why would John make arrangements with Belcour for Charlotte?
8. What arrangements does John make for Charlotte with Belcour?
9. Why does Mrs. Beauchamp befriend Charlotte?
10. What motive would Belcour have in interfering with Charlotte's letters?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do the changing seasons align with characters' actions and plot development?
Essay Topic 2
How does the concern over money damage characters and relationships?
Essay Topic 3
How is "Charlotte Temple" typical of the genre of a seduction novel?
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)