|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Belcour bribe Charlotte's servant to do?
2. How does Charlotte react when Crayton makes his announcement before the voyage to America is over?
3. After Charlotte feels better from her fever, what does her landlord want?
4. How does John meet Julia?
5. According to Charlotte, why does she not kill herself?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Charlotte's situation different than a wife whose husband ignores her?
2. How does Charlotte move Belcour?
3. Why does Mrs. Beauchamp befriend Charlotte?
4. Why does Charlotte fall behind on her rent?
5. How has John's feelings for Charlotte changed now that he loves Julia?
6. What is Charlotte's mental state after settling in New York?
7. Concerning Julia and Charlotte, what internal struggles does John face?
8. What is ironic about the life Mrs. Crayton leads compared to Charlotte's life?
9. Why does John spend so little time with Charlotte when they arrive in New York?
10. What motive would Belcour have in interfering with Charlotte's letters?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the chapter title, "Which People Void of Feeling Need Not Read"?
Essay Topic 2
Does Harry Temple's character--or the reader's perception of his character--change at all throughout the novel? If so, how and why? If not, why would the author keep him a static character?
Essay Topic 3
How would Charlotte's plight be different in present day settings than years ago?
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)