|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Charlotte tries writing to her parents after speaking to Mrs. Beauchamp for the first time, what are the results?
2. What makes John condemn himself a seducer of innocence?
3. What argument does Charlotte design to give Mrs. Crayton after her landlord leaves?
4. How does Belcour react when Crayton makes his announcement before the voyage to America is over?
5. After John's wedding, what does Belcour tell Charlotte for three months?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what condition does Charlotte walk to New York?
2. Why does Mrs. Beauchamp befriend Charlotte?
3. How does Belcour interfere with John and Charlotte's relationship?
4. Why would John make arrangements with Belcour for Charlotte?
5. Why would Mrs. Beauchamp devise a front to meet Charlotte?
6. What is ironic about the life Mrs. Crayton leads compared to Charlotte's life?
7. What arrangements does John make for Charlotte with Belcour?
8. What is ironic about the timing of Charlotte's letter arriving to her parents?
9. How is Charlotte's situation different than a wife whose husband ignores her?
10. How does Charlotte move Belcour?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the greatest external conflict of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Why did Charlotte's death follow the message or theme of the novel? Why was her death necessary?
Essay Topic 3
What stereotypical statements or beliefs demonstrate the setting of this novel?
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)