|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does a soldier suggest Charlotte go when she arrives in New York?
2. As they land in New York, how does Crayton introduce Charlotte to his daughter?
3. When John goes to break-up with Charlotte after meeting Julia, how does Charlotte react to John's guilt?
4. Days after Charlotte develops a fever, what does Belcour do?
5. What does Charlotte ask her parents to help her with in the letter composed after speaking to Mrs. Beauchamp for the first time?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information does Charlotte include in her letter to her parents?
2. Concerning Julia and Charlotte, what internal struggles does John face?
3. Why does John spend so little time with Charlotte when they arrive in New York?
4. What is the mood as the travelers arrive in New York?
5. How does Belcour interfere with John and Charlotte's relationship?
6. In what condition does Charlotte walk to New York?
7. Why would Mrs. Beauchamp devise a front to meet Charlotte?
8. How does Mrs. Beauchamp's actions concerning Charlotte indirectly characterize her?
9. Why does Charlotte fall behind on her rent?
10. Why would John make arrangements with Belcour for Charlotte?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the strongest theme in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Does Harry Temple's character--or the reader's perception of his character--change at all throughout the novel? If so, how and why? If not, why would the author keep him a static character?
Essay Topic 3
How would Charlotte's plight be different in present day settings than years ago?
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)