|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Montraville pine for Charlotte after seeing her in Chichester?
2. Who is Mlle La Rue?
3. Where is Charlotte Temple emerging from when Lt. John Montraville and Belcour first see her in Chichester?
4. From where does Henry know Lt. Blakeney?
5. How does Eldridge react to George's efforts at helping him with Lewis's loan?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does money become an immediate symbol in the novel?
2. How is La Rue characterized at the beginning of the novel?
3. Why is Charlotte so ecstatic over the note Du Pont gives her from her parents?
4. Why does La Rue urge Charlotte to read Montraville's note requesting a meeting?
5. How do the physical descriptions of John Montraville and Belcour set the tone for the novel?
6. Why would Rowson intend this book for "sober matrons" daughters?
7. Why is Charlotte's family history important?
8. Why would Henry discharge Eldridge's debt?
9. Why does Charlotte warn John not to abandon her in America?
10. What can readers infer about Mlle La Rue from her activities of flirting at church and her behavior at a "cousin's" house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How reliable is the narrator of the novel? Does she have motives that would encourage lying?
Essay Topic 2
In what way is John Montraville to blame for Charlotte's downfall and demise?
Essay Topic 3
What is the overall mood of the novel?
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)