|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What name does La Rue call Charlotte in reference to the note she receives after the party?
2. At the end of their first meeting, what warning does John remember?
3. What will happen to La Rue if she is caught sneaking out?
4. What do Lt. John Montraville and Belcour do in Chichester?
5. What does John persuade Charlotte concerning his death?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the importance of Montraville and Belcour having completely opposite moral standards?
2. How does Charlotte behave foolishly concerning La Rue?
3. Why would Henry discharge Eldridge's debt?
4. What internal struggles does Charlotte develop concerning John and La Rue?
5. How does Charlotte perceive the evening at La Rue's "cousin's" house, and what does this say about Charlotte?
6. What can readers infer about Mlle La Rue from her activities of flirting at church and her behavior at a "cousin's" house?
7. Why is Charlotte so ecstatic over the note Du Pont gives her from her parents?
8. Why does Lucy pray to God for Charlotte?
9. How do the physical descriptions of John Montraville and Belcour set the tone for the novel?
10. Why does La Rue urge Charlotte to read Montraville's note requesting a meeting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the letters Charlotte writes to her parents from America. What do the change in Charlotte's letters to her parents show about her situation?
Essay Topic 2
Does Harry Temple's character--or the reader's perception of his character--change at all throughout the novel? If so, how and why? If not, why would the author keep him a static character?
Essay Topic 3
Who is the overall antagonist of the novel? Why?
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)