|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what does Belcour convince La Rue during their first meeting?
2. What does La Rue think of Charlotte?
3. What does John persuade Charlotte concerning his death?
4. What does Lucy tell Eldridge about his family?
5. What surprises Henry about Eldridge's debt?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Lucy pray to God for Charlotte?
2. What is the importance of Montraville and Belcour having completely opposite moral standards?
3. Why is Charlotte so ecstatic over the note Du Pont gives her from her parents?
4. How do the Temples' plans for a birthday party for Charlotte build suspense?
5. How does La Rue bully Charlotte one more time before they begin traveling to America?
6. What does La Rue's actions foreshadow about her involvement in Charlotte's life?
7. How does the setting contribute to the tone of the novel?
8. How does Charlotte behave foolishly concerning La Rue?
9. What does Charlotte's wavering in seeing John again foreshadow?
10. How is La Rue characterized at the beginning of the novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at Belcour's actions. What were his worst interactions with others?
Essay Topic 2
Does Harry Temple's character--or the reader's perception of his character--change at all throughout the novel? If so, how and why? If not, why would the author keep him a static character?
Essay Topic 3
How do the changing seasons align with characters' actions and plot development?
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)