|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has John's father warned him of?
2. What is Belcour's ulterior motive in persuading La Rue to sail to America with him?
3. At the end of their first meeting, how does Charlotte respond to John?
4. According to the narrator, what turns girls' heads?
5. During John and Charlotte's first meeting, what best describes John?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Charlotte's wavering in seeing John again foreshadow?
2. What sort of note does Montraville give Charlotte?
3. Why would Charlotte's grandfather have such difficulty in breaking the news of Charlotte's elopement?
4. How do the Temples' plans for a birthday party for Charlotte build suspense?
5. How does the military connect characters in the book?
6. What type of family does Henry Temple marry into?
7. What internal struggles does Charlotte develop concerning John and La Rue?
8. How is Charlotte's youth and inexperience shown through her actions?
9. Why is Charlotte's family history important?
10. Why does Lucy pray to God for Charlotte?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does irony play in "Charlotte Temple"? When and where does it appear throughout the novel, who does it affect, and do any of the characters see the irony in their situations? Do you believe the author's use or irony was intentional?
Essay Topic 2
Look at the letters Charlotte writes to her parents from America. What do the change in Charlotte's letters to her parents show about her situation?
Essay Topic 3
What is the strongest theme in the novel?
This section contains 857 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)