|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Lt. John Montraville and Belcour are in Chichester, where are they en route?
2. How long does Montraville pine for Charlotte after seeing her in Chichester?
3. When does Montraville recognize Charlotte from?
4. Why does Belcour waylay La Rue?
5. Who is Mlle La Rue?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Charlotte so ecstatic over the note Du Pont gives her from her parents?
2. Why would Charlotte's grandfather have such difficulty in breaking the news of Charlotte's elopement?
3. How is Charlotte's youth and inexperience shown through her actions?
4. How does the setting contribute to the tone of the novel?
5. Why does La Rue urge Charlotte to read Montraville's note requesting a meeting?
6. Why does Lucy pray to God for Charlotte?
7. How does La Rue bully Charlotte one more time before they begin traveling to America?
8. Why would Rowson intend this book for "sober matrons" daughters?
9. How do the Temples' plans for a birthday party for Charlotte build suspense?
10. How does money become an immediate symbol in the novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Does Harry Temple's character--or the reader's perception of his character--change at all throughout the novel? If so, how and why? If not, why would the author keep him a static character?
Essay Topic 2
What is the overall mood of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Who is the overall antagonist of the novel? Why?
This section contains 859 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)