|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why had Charlotte thought of going to New York?
(a) To find a way back to England.
(b) To look for work.
(c) To throw herself at John's feet.
(d) To get a doctor for the baby.
2. What excuse does Mrs. Beauchamp present to speak with Charlotte for the first time?
(a) She picks some cucumbers.
(b) She delivers Charlotte's mail.
(c) She brings Charlotte tea.
(d) She pays Charlotte's rent.
3. What does Charlotte wish for on the voyage to America?
(a) To eat decent food.
(b) To hear from her parents.
(c) To stop crying.
(d) To have John care for her.
4. When John goes to break-up with Charlotte after meeting Julia, how does Charlotte react to John's guilt?
(a) She is relieved.
(b) She puts him to bed.
(c) She cries hysterically.
(d) She goes into shock.
5. Charlotte gives Belcour letters for John many times. What does Belcour do with these letters?
(a) Destorys them.
(b) Mails them.
(c) Gives them to John.
(d) Keeps them for himself.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the letter composed after speaking to Mrs. Beauchamp for the first time, how does Charlotte specify she wants her child raised?
2. To where does Mrs. Beauchamp move to get away from the bustle of New York?
3. What does Belcour bribe Charlotte's servant to do?
4. Upon meeting him, what does Rich Col. Crayton think of Belcour?
5. After John's six week active duty, what does John promise?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Charlotte move Belcour?
2. How does Charlotte plan her trip to the city as she is pregnant?
3. In what condition does Charlotte walk to New York?
4. What information does Charlotte include in her letter to her parents?
5. Why does John become upset about his relationship with Julia?
6. What arrangements does John make for Charlotte with Belcour?
7. What happens to Crayton and La Rue's relationship after they settle in America?
8. Why does John spend so little time with Charlotte when they arrive in New York?
9. How is Charlotte's situation different than a wife whose husband ignores her?
10. Why does Charlotte cry when the boat arrives in America?
This section contains 968 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)