|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Charlotte speaks to Mrs. Beauchamp for the first time, what upsets Mrs. Beauchamp?
(a) Charlotte misses her parents so much.
(b) Her father is returning to England.
(c) Her father has married a vile woman.
(d) John is abusing Charlotte.
2. After John's wedding, what does Belcour do for three months?
(a) Arranges Charlotte's trip to England.
(b) Brings Charlotte food.
(c) Avoids Charlotte.
(d) Drops in on Charlotte.
3. After his six weeks of active duty, why does John question his ability to be with Julia?
(a) He has no money.
(b) He doesn't like her family.
(c) He met another woman while he was gone.
(d) He doesn't trust his impulses any longer.
4. Days after Charlotte develops a fever, what does Belcour do?
(a) Finds John.
(b) Meets a farmer's daughter and leaves Charlotte.
(c) Goes to the port to get her parents.
(d) Gives Charlotte extra money.
5. After arriving in New York, what does Charlotte do with her time?
(a) Reads and sleeps.
(b) Cooks and prepares dinner.
(c) Expects a visit from John.
(d) Sews clothing.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Belcour say to John concern in reference to his lack of will to marry Julia?
2. What excuse does Mrs. Beauchamp present to speak with Charlotte for the first time?
3. As Charlotte speaks to Mrs. Beauchamp for the first time, what does Charlotte confess about her parents?
4. On the day before his marriage, what does John state he wants for Charlotte?
5. As they land in New York, how does Crayton introduce La Rue to his daughter?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mrs. Beauchamp's actions concerning Charlotte indirectly characterize her?
2. Concerning Julia and Charlotte, what internal struggles does John face?
3. How does Charlotte plan her trip to the city as she is pregnant?
4. How is Charlotte's situation different than a wife whose husband ignores her?
5. How does Charlotte move Belcour?
6. What is ironic about the life Mrs. Crayton leads compared to Charlotte's life?
7. Why would John make arrangements with Belcour for Charlotte?
8. How does Belcour interfere with John and Charlotte's relationship?
9. What happens to Crayton and La Rue's relationship after they settle in America?
10. What information does Charlotte include in her letter to her parents?
This section contains 1,006 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)