|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Charlotte speaks to Mrs. Beauchamp for the first time, what does Charlotte confess about her parents?
(a) She wrote them terrible things.
(b) She never receives a response to her letters.
(c) She gave them instructions to forget her.
(d) She never sent the letters.
2. On the day before his marriage, what message does John write to Charlotte?
(a) He wishes she would marry him.
(b) He desires she give him the child to raise.
(c) He has no money to support her.
(d) He feels bad about taking her from her home.
3. As they land in New York, how does Crayton introduce La Rue to his daughter?
(a) As a friend.
(b) As John's sister.
(c) As his fiancee.
(d) As his wife.
4. Of what does John convince Julia as Charlotte befriends Mrs. Beauchamp?
(a) That he does care for her family.
(b) That he is not the father of Charlotte's baby.
(c) That he does not know Charlotte.
(d) That he is not after her money.
5. Why does Charlotte cry over her fate as Crayton makes his announcement before the voyage to America is over?
(a) Her fate will be better than she deserves.
(b) She dislikes John.
(c) She terribly misses England.
(d) Her fate will parallel La Rue and Belcour's relationship.
Short Answer Questions
1. After John's wedding, what does Belcour tell Charlotte for three months?
2. What plans does Belcour have for Charlotte on the boat trip to America?
3. What does Charlotte ask her parents to help her with in the letter composed after speaking to Mrs. Beauchamp for the first time?
4. After John's marriage and lack of response to Charlotte, from whom does Charlotte want help?
5. During their first meeting, what plans do Charlotte and Mrs. Beauchamp make together?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is ironic about the timing of Charlotte's letter arriving to her parents?
2. Why would Mrs. Beauchamp devise a front to meet Charlotte?
3. Why would John make arrangements with Belcour for Charlotte?
4. What happens to Crayton and La Rue's relationship after they settle in America?
5. Why does Charlotte fall behind on her rent?
6. What is ironic about the life Mrs. Crayton leads compared to Charlotte's life?
7. Why does John become upset about his relationship with Julia?
8. How does Charlotte move Belcour?
9. What is Charlotte's mental state after settling in New York?
10. Why does Mrs. Beauchamp befriend Charlotte?
This section contains 978 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)