|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What plans does Belcour have for Charlotte on the boat trip to America?
(a) To persuade her to marry John.
(b) To move in on her.
(c) To send her back to England.
(d) To make her a household servant.
2. What argument does Charlotte design to give Mrs. Crayton after her landlord leaves?
(a) They made a promise to care for each other.
(b) They are still friends.
(c) They came to America with the same prospects.
(d) They are both women.
3. As they land in New York, how does Crayton introduce Charlotte to his daughter?
(a) As a teacher.
(b) As John's mistress.
(c) As a nanny.
(d) As John's wife.
4. When Charlotte accepts her fate concerning John, what does Belcour tell her?
(a) About John's refusal to read her letters.
(b) About John's marriage and move.
(c) About his destroying of her letters.
(d) About Julia's pregnancy.
5. After Charlotte's landlord leaves, what does she decide to do?
(a) Ask Julia for help.
(b) Find Belcour for her money.
(c) Catch a boat back to England.
(d) Walk to New York and beg Mrs. Crayton for help.
Short Answer Questions
1. After John's marriage and lack of response to Charlotte, how has Charlotte's anguish left her?
2. After John's six week active duty, how does Charlotte react when John arrives?
3. What excuse does Mrs. Beauchamp present to speak with Charlotte for the first time?
4. Where does a soldier suggest Charlotte go when she arrives in New York?
5. When Charlotte writes to her parents after speaking to Mrs. Beauchamp for the first time, what does she tell them?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does John spend so little time with Charlotte when they arrive in New York?
2. Why does John become upset about his relationship with Julia?
3. In what condition does Charlotte walk to New York?
4. How does Charlotte move Belcour?
5. What information does Charlotte include in her letter to her parents?
6. How has John's feelings for Charlotte changed now that he loves Julia?
7. Why does Charlotte make the decision to go the Crayton household and not the Franklin household?
8. Why would John make arrangements with Belcour for Charlotte?
9. Why would Mrs. Beauchamp devise a front to meet Charlotte?
10. Why does Charlotte fall behind on her rent?
This section contains 964 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)