|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After John stalks out of Charlotte's house, what does Belcour do?
(a) Persuades her to return to England.
(b) Gives Charlotte money.
(c) Returns Charlotte's letters to her.
(d) Offers consolation to Charlotte.
2. After John's marriage and lack of response to Charlotte, how has Charlotte's anguish left her?
(a) Mad and hateful.
(b) Resolved and serene.
(c) Ashamed and guilty.
(d) Sleepless and depressed.
3. How does John react when Crayton makes his announcement before the voyage to America is over?
(a) John is comforting to Charlotte.
(b) John does not hear the announcement.
(c) John laughs.
(d) John is confused.
4. What does Charlotte ask her parents to help her with in the letter composed after speaking to Mrs. Beauchamp for the first time?
(a) Advice with John.
(b) Money for food and shelter.
(c) Correspondence for peace of mind.
(d) Help for her innocent baby.
5. What does Belcour think of John marrying Charlotte?
(a) That Charlotte will not stay with him.
(b) That he will not marry her.
(c) That he could marry better.
(d) That Charlotte will die before they reach America.
Short Answer Questions
1. What excuse does Mrs. Beauchamp present to speak with Charlotte for the first time?
2. After arriving in New York, what does Charlotte do with her time?
3. After three months of marriage, what has Crayton found out about La Rue?
4. When John goes to break-up with Charlotte after meeting Julia, how does Charlotte greet him?
5. How does Charlotte react when Crayton makes his announcement before the voyage to America is over?
Short Essay Questions
1. What arrangements does John make for Charlotte with Belcour?
2. What is ironic about the life Mrs. Crayton leads compared to Charlotte's life?
3. Why does John spend so little time with Charlotte when they arrive in New York?
4. Concerning Julia and Charlotte, what internal struggles does John face?
5. What is ironic about the timing of Charlotte's letter arriving to her parents?
6. Why does Charlotte cry when the boat arrives in America?
7. How is Charlotte's situation different than a wife whose husband ignores her?
8. What happens to Crayton and La Rue's relationship after they settle in America?
9. What is Charlotte's mental state after settling in New York?
10. What motive would Belcour have in interfering with Charlotte's letters?
This section contains 998 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)