|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who takes care of Charlotte while she is seasick on the voyage to America?
(b) Rich Col. Crayton.
(d) La Rue.
2. On the day before his marriage, what message does John write to Charlotte?
(a) He feels bad about taking her from her home.
(b) He desires she give him the child to raise.
(c) He has no money to support her.
(d) He wishes she would marry him.
3. What does Belcour bribe Charlotte's servant to do?
(a) Keep Charlotte in the house.
(b) Buy Charlotte's groceries.
(c) Intercept letters she writes.
(d) Prevent Mrs. Beauchamp from coming to the house.
4. After John's marriage and lack of response to Charlotte, from whom does Charlotte want help?
(c) Mrs. Beauchamp.
(d) Her mother.
5. For what does Rich Col. Crayton have a weakness?
(a) French women.
(b) Rich food.
(d) Excellent conversation.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Charlotte speaks to Mrs. Beauchamp for the first time, what upsets Mrs. Beauchamp?
2. How does Belcour react when Crayton makes his announcement before the voyage to America is over?
3. When Charlotte accepts her fate concerning John, what does Belcour tell her?
4. When John goes to break-up with Charlotte after meeting Julia, how does Charlotte greet him?
5. After John's six week active duty, what does he find when he visits Charlotte?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information does Charlotte include in her letter to her parents?
2. Why would John make arrangements with Belcour for Charlotte?
3. Why would Mrs. Beauchamp devise a front to meet Charlotte?
4. Why does John spend so little time with Charlotte when they arrive in New York?
5. How does Belcour interfere with John and Charlotte's relationship?
6. What is ironic about the life Mrs. Crayton leads compared to Charlotte's life?
7. Why does John become upset about his relationship with Julia?
8. Why does Charlotte fall behind on her rent?
9. Why does Charlotte make the decision to go the Crayton household and not the Franklin household?
10. What happens to Crayton and La Rue's relationship after they settle in America?
This section contains 1,001 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)