|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During their first meeting, what does Mrs. Beauchamp tell Charlotte that she wants Charlotte to tell her?
(a) Problems with John.
(b) Confidences about anything.
(c) Concerns over Belcour.
(d) Information about England.
2. How does Charlotte react to the news of John's marriage?
(a) Runs out the door.
(b) Tries to commit suicide.
(c) Screams, faints and takes to her bed.
(d) Laughs and cries simultaneously.
3. What does John do for Charlotte after they arrive in New York?
(a) Moves her in with him.
(b) Gets her a job and apartment.
(c) Takes her shopping.
(d) Sets her up in a small house.
4. Why does John not marry Julia after he convinced her he is not taking advantage of her affection?
(a) He feels it inhumane to marry her while Charlotte is expecting his baby.
(b) He cannot gain her father's trust.
(c) He wishes to send Charlotte back to England first.
(d) He has no money because he cares for Charlotte.
5. After three months of marriage, what has Crayton found out about La Rue?
(a) La Rue cannot have children.
(b) La Rue constantly cheats on him.
(c) La Rue lied about being a good cook.
(d) La Rue is vain and bad-tempered.
Short Answer Questions
1. When John goes to break-up with Charlotte after meeting Julia, how does Charlotte react to John's guilt?
2. When Charlotte accepts her fate concerning John, what does Belcour tell her?
3. After John's six week active duty, what does he find when he visits Charlotte?
4. How does Charlotte react when Crayton makes his announcement before the voyage to America is over?
5. What does Belcour say to John concern in reference to his lack of will to marry Julia?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has John's feelings for Charlotte changed now that he loves Julia?
2. Why does Charlotte cry when the boat arrives in America?
3. Why does John become upset about his relationship with Julia?
4. What is Charlotte's mental state after settling in New York?
5. Why would John make arrangements with Belcour for Charlotte?
6. How does Charlotte move Belcour?
7. How does Mrs. Beauchamp's actions concerning Charlotte indirectly characterize her?
8. Why does Mrs. Beauchamp befriend Charlotte?
9. Why does John spend so little time with Charlotte when they arrive in New York?
10. Why does Charlotte fall behind on her rent?
This section contains 972 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)