|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. If John cannot get Charlotte to sail with him, what does he hope happens to him?
(a) To build a new relationship.
(b) To find a new love quickly.
(c) To die swiftly.
(d) To get amnesia.
2. Where are Lt. John Montraville and Belcour's deployments?
3. What does La Rue warn Charlotte about if she reneges going to America?
(a) La Rue will not get married.
(b) Her parents will not take her back.
(c) Du Pont will remove Charlotte from school.
(d) John will ruin her parents' reputations.
4. Whom does Eldridge credit giving joy to his life?
(a) His son.
(b) His minister.
5. When Montraville meets Charlotte in Chichester, what does he give her?
(a) A note.
(b) A bag.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does La Rue think of Charlotte?
2. Why does Charlotte read the note she receives after the party?
3. How does Eldridge react to George's efforts at helping him with Lewis's loan?
4. Why did Lt. Eldridge borrow money from Mr. Lewis?
5. When George learns his father cannot repay Mr. Lewis' loan, what does George do to try and help?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does La Rue bully Charlotte one more time before they begin traveling to America?
2. What can readers infer about Mlle La Rue from her activities of flirting at church and her behavior at a "cousin's" house?
3. How does the military connect characters in the book?
4. What type of family does Henry Temple marry into?
5. What is the purpose of Rowson giving information about "Content"?
6. What sort of note does Montraville give Charlotte?
7. Why does Charlotte warn John not to abandon her in America?
8. What internal struggles does Charlotte develop concerning John and La Rue?
9. How does John manipulate Charlotte?
10. Why is Charlotte so ecstatic over the note Du Pont gives her from her parents?
This section contains 964 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)