|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On the way out of the party, whom do La Rue and her guest run into?
(a) John Montraville.
(b) Du Pont.
(c) Mr. Temple.
(d) The town's minister.
2. Why does Henry discharge Eldridge's debt?
(a) He has extra money.
(b) He needs Eldridge's influence in politics.
(c) He believes Eldridge is not guilty.
(d) He pictures Lucy's gratitude.
3. How does Charlotte react when she learns of her party thrown by her family?
(a) She laughs.
(b) She shrugs.
(c) She cries.
(d) She faints.
4. Why does Mr. Lewis demand an instant repayment of his loan to Eldridge?
(a) Eldridge forces Lewis to marry Lucy.
(b) Eldridge bans Lewis from his household.
(c) Eldridge punches Lewis.
(d) Eldridge marries Lewis' sister.
5. What does Montraville wonder about Charlotte when he sees her in Chichester?
(a) Can he avoid him?
(b) Can they live together again?
(c) How should he meet her again?
(d) When can he meet her parents?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is waiting for Eldridge when he arrives at the Temples' home?
2. How long does Montraville pine for Charlotte after seeing her in Chichester?
3. Where are Lt. John Montraville and Belcour's deployments?
4. How does John think Charlotte's parents will react when they return?
5. What does Henry tell Lucy after he arrives at the party without Charlotte?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Charlotte's wavering in seeing John again foreshadow?
2. What type of family does Henry Temple marry into?
3. Why does La Rue urge Charlotte to read Montraville's note requesting a meeting?
4. What internal struggle does John immediately have concerning Charlotte?
5. What does La Rue's actions foreshadow about her involvement in Charlotte's life?
6. How do the Temples' plans for a birthday party for Charlotte build suspense?
7. How is La Rue characterized at the beginning of the novel?
8. Why is Charlotte's family history important?
9. How does the setting contribute to the tone of the novel?
10. What internal struggles does Charlotte develop concerning John and La Rue?
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)