|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What name does La Rue call Charlotte in reference to the note she receives after the party?
2. From where does Henry know Lt. Blakeney?
(a) Blakeney is a stranger to Henry.
(c) Blakeney is a distant cousin of Henry's wife.
3. When George learns his father cannot repay Mr. Lewis' loan, what does George do to try and help?
(b) Find an extra job.
(c) Marry a wealthy woman.
(d) Stay away from Mr. Lewis.
4. As John and Charlotte drive off on the road to Portsmouth, what does Charlotte do?
(a) Shrieks and faints.
(c) Stands in shock.
(d) Jumps overboard.
5. Who does La Rue take to a party?
(c) Du Pont.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are Lt. John Montraville and Belcour's deployments?
2. How does Henry feel about Lucy during their first meeting?
3. Where did Montraville first meet Charlotte?
4. What disappointment does John claim to have concerning Charlotte toward her parents?
5. At the end of their first meeting, how does Charlotte respond to John?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does money become an immediate symbol in the novel?
2. Why is Charlotte's family history important?
3. How does the military connect characters in the book?
4. How do the physical descriptions of John Montraville and Belcour set the tone for the novel?
5. How do the Temples' plans for a birthday party for Charlotte build suspense?
6. What is the purpose of Rowson giving information about "Content"?
7. What internal struggle does John immediately have concerning Charlotte?
8. How does John manipulate Charlotte?
9. What sort of note does Montraville give Charlotte?
10. Why would Charlotte's grandfather have such difficulty in breaking the news of Charlotte's elopement?
This section contains 925 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)