|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After arriving in New York, what does Charlotte do with her time?
(a) Cooks and prepares dinner.
(b) Expects a visit from John.
(c) Reads and sleeps.
(d) Sews clothing.
2. After Charlotte recovers from her fever, what begins to depress her?
(a) How she will deliver the baby alone.
(b) How she can find food.
(c) How Mrs. Beauchamp is not around.
(d) How little money she has.
3. For what does Rich Col. Crayton have a weakness?
(a) Rich food.
(c) Excellent conversation.
(d) French women.
4. During their first meeting, what does Mrs. Beauchamp stress to Charlotte?
(a) To eat well.
(b) To sleep more.
(c) Not to speak with Belcour anymore.
(d) Not to induldge in gloomy thoughts.
5. On the day before his marriage, about what does John lecture Belcour?
(a) To put her on the boat back to England.
(b) To give Charlotte as little money as possible.
(c) To keep Charlotte away from Julia.
(d) To be kind to Charlotte.
6. After Charlotte's landlord leaves, what does she decide to do?
(a) Walk to New York and beg Mrs. Crayton for help.
(b) Catch a boat back to England.
(c) Ask Julia for help.
(d) Find Belcour for her money.
7. When Belcour arrives to visit Charlotte after John guiltily leaves, what does he do?
(a) Gives her a letter from her parents.
(b) Works to make her jealous.
(c) Treats her to a night out.
(d) Helps to boost her self-esteem.
8. When Charlotte tries writing to her parents after speaking to Mrs. Beauchamp for the first time, what are the results?
(a) She confesses her sins easily.
(b) She writes of her hate for them.
(c) She is too agitated to write.
(d) She vomits uncontrollably.
9. As Charlotte speaks to Mrs. Beauchamp for the first time, what does Charlotte confess about her parents?
(a) She never sent the letters.
(b) She gave them instructions to forget her.
(c) She wrote them terrible things.
(d) She never receives a response to her letters.
10. After John's marriage and lack of response to Charlotte, how has Charlotte's anguish left her?
(a) Ashamed and guilty.
(b) Resolved and serene.
(c) Sleepless and depressed.
(d) Mad and hateful.
11. Arriving in New York, what does Charlotte think of finding female friends?
(a) Doubtful she will find any.
(b) Curious at to whom she will meet.
(c) Afraid women will dislike her.
(d) Hopeful she will find some.
12. Why does John not marry Julia after he convinced her he is not taking advantage of her affection?
(a) He has no money because he cares for Charlotte.
(b) He feels it inhumane to marry her while Charlotte is expecting his baby.
(c) He wishes to send Charlotte back to England first.
(d) He cannot gain her father's trust.
13. Who takes care of Charlotte while she is seasick on the voyage to America?
(a) La Rue.
(b) Rich Col. Crayton.
14. After his six weeks of active duty, why does John question his ability to be with Julia?
(a) He doesn't like her family.
(b) He met another woman while he was gone.
(c) He doesn't trust his impulses any longer.
(d) He has no money.
15. What excuse does Mrs. Beauchamp present to speak with Charlotte for the first time?
(a) She pays Charlotte's rent.
(b) She delivers Charlotte's mail.
(c) She picks some cucumbers.
(d) She brings Charlotte tea.
Short Answer Questions
1. When John goes to break-up with Charlotte after meeting Julia, how does Charlotte react to John's guilt?
2. As they land in New York, how does Crayton introduce Charlotte to his daughter?
3. When John goes to break-up with Charlotte after meeting Julia, how does Charlotte greet him?
4. In the letter composed after speaking to Mrs. Beauchamp for the first time, how does Charlotte specify she wants her child raised?
5. On the day before his marriage, what assignment does John give to Belcour?
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)