|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During their first meeting, what does Mrs. Beauchamp tell Charlotte that she wants Charlotte to tell her?
(a) Information about England.
(b) Problems with John.
(c) Confidences about anything.
(d) Concerns over Belcour.
2. After John's marriage and lack of response to Charlotte, how has Charlotte's anguish left her?
(a) Resolved and serene.
(b) Mad and hateful.
(c) Ashamed and guilty.
(d) Sleepless and depressed.
3. What excuse does Mrs. Beauchamp present to speak with Charlotte for the first time?
(a) She pays Charlotte's rent.
(b) She brings Charlotte tea.
(c) She delivers Charlotte's mail.
(d) She picks some cucumbers.
4. During their first meeting, what does Mrs. Beauchamp stress to Charlotte?
(a) To eat well.
(b) Not to induldge in gloomy thoughts.
(c) To sleep more.
(d) Not to speak with Belcour anymore.
5. What does Belcour think of John marrying Charlotte?
(a) That Charlotte will die before they reach America.
(b) That Charlotte will not stay with him.
(c) That he will not marry her.
(d) That he could marry better.
6. On the day before his marriage, about what does John lecture Belcour?
(a) To put her on the boat back to England.
(b) To give Charlotte as little money as possible.
(c) To keep Charlotte away from Julia.
(d) To be kind to Charlotte.
7. What plans does Belcour have for Charlotte on the boat trip to America?
(a) To persuade her to marry John.
(b) To send her back to England.
(c) To make her a household servant.
(d) To move in on her.
8. Arriving in New York, what does Charlotte think of finding female friends?
(a) Curious at to whom she will meet.
(b) Afraid women will dislike her.
(c) Doubtful she will find any.
(d) Hopeful she will find some.
9. As Charlotte speaks to Mrs. Beauchamp for the first time, what upsets Mrs. Beauchamp?
(a) John is abusing Charlotte.
(b) Her father is returning to England.
(c) Her father has married a vile woman.
(d) Charlotte misses her parents so much.
10. How does Charlotte react when Crayton makes his announcement before the voyage to America is over?
(a) Charlotte questions La Rue and Belcour separately.
(b) Charlotte is numb.
(c) Charlotte is happy.
(d) Charlotte is shocked.
11. After three months of marriage, what has Crayton found out about La Rue?
(a) La Rue constantly cheats on him.
(b) La Rue is vain and bad-tempered.
(c) La Rue lied about being a good cook.
(d) La Rue cannot have children.
12. What does John do for Charlotte after they arrive in New York?
(a) Takes her shopping.
(b) Gets her a job and apartment.
(c) Moves her in with him.
(d) Sets her up in a small house.
13. After John's wedding, what does Belcour tell Charlotte for three months?
(a) That he is trying to find her parents.
(b) That he is trying to restore John to reason.
(c) That he will find her help for the baby.
(d) That he understands her delimma.
14. When Charlotte tries writing to her parents after speaking to Mrs. Beauchamp for the first time, what are the results?
(a) She writes of her hate for them.
(b) She confesses her sins easily.
(c) She is too agitated to write.
(d) She vomits uncontrollably.
15. After John's marriage and lack of response to Charlotte, from whom does Charlotte want help?
(c) Mrs. Beauchamp.
(d) Her mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what does Rich Col. Crayton have a weakness?
2. As John's relationship with Julia deepens, how does he increasingly feel about Charlotte?
3. When Charlotte accepts her fate concerning John, what does Belcour tell her?
4. Before the voyage to America is over, what does Col. Crayton do?
5. How does John meet Julia?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)