|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Charlotte's landlord leaves, what does she decide to do?
(a) Catch a boat back to England.
(b) Find Belcour for her money.
(c) Ask Julia for help.
(d) Walk to New York and beg Mrs. Crayton for help.
2. How does Belcour react when Crayton makes his announcement before the voyage to America is over?
(a) Belcour is saddened.
(b) Belcour is stoic.
(c) Belcour is relieved.
(d) Belcour is angry.
3. As John's relationship with Julia deepens, how does he increasingly feel about Charlotte?
(a) That Charlotte lied to get a trip to America.
(b) That Charlotte is untrue.
(c) That Charlotte wants his money.
(d) That Charlotte is his true love.
4. Why does Belcour act tenderly toward Charlotte?
(a) He wants to marry her.
(b) He is trying to seduce her.
(c) He doesn't want her to bother John.
(d) He feels terrible about her situation.
5. What does Charlotte ask her parents to help her with in the letter composed after speaking to Mrs. Beauchamp for the first time?
(a) Correspondence for peace of mind.
(b) Help for her innocent baby.
(c) Money for food and shelter.
(d) Advice with John.
6. When John goes to break-up with Charlotte after meeting Julia, how does Charlotte react to John's guilt?
(a) She puts him to bed.
(b) She goes into shock.
(c) She is relieved.
(d) She cries hysterically.
7. Before the voyage to America is over, what does Col. Crayton do?
(a) Proposes marriage.
(b) Gets food poisoning.
(c) Reaches Charlotte's family.
(d) Defends La Rue against Belcour.
8. After Charlotte feels better from her fever, what does her landlord want?
(a) Payment of rent.
(b) Her to become her maid.
(c) Payment for the doctors.
(d) Her house cleaned.
9. After John's marriage and lack of response to Charlotte, how has Charlotte's anguish left her?
(a) Sleepless and depressed.
(b) Resolved and serene.
(c) Ashamed and guilty.
(d) Mad and hateful.
10. After three months of marriage, what has Crayton found out about La Rue?
(a) La Rue cannot have children.
(b) La Rue lied about being a good cook.
(c) La Rue is vain and bad-tempered.
(d) La Rue constantly cheats on him.
11. How does Charlotte react to the news of John's marriage?
(a) Screams, faints and takes to her bed.
(b) Runs out the door.
(c) Tries to commit suicide.
(d) Laughs and cries simultaneously.
12. On the day before his marriage, what does John state he wants for Charlotte?
(a) Her to become wealthy.
(b) Her to give the child to him.
(c) Her to become Belcour's mistress.
(d) Her to return to her parents.
13. When Charlotte spikes a fever, how does Belcour react?
(a) He gets John for her.
(b) He gets the best doctor from New York.
(c) He finds Mrs. Beauchamp.
(d) He sits with her days.
14. According to Charlotte, why does she not kill herself?
(a) She loves John.
(b) She has her baby.
(c) She is a Christian.
(d) She misses her parents.
15. After John's marriage and lack of response to Charlotte, from whom does Charlotte want help?
(a) Mrs. Beauchamp.
(b) Her mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does John do for Charlotte after they arrive in New York?
2. Where does a soldier suggest Charlotte go when she arrives in New York?
3. As they land in New York, how does Crayton introduce La Rue to his daughter?
4. On the day before his marriage, what message does John write to Charlotte?
5. As they land in New York, how does Crayton introduce Charlotte to his daughter?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)