|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Charlotte wish for on the voyage to America?
(a) To have John care for her.
(b) To hear from her parents.
(c) To stop crying.
(d) To eat decent food.
2. After John's six week active duty, what does John promise?
(a) That Charlotte is on her own.
(b) That Charlotte needs to return to her parents.
(c) That he will get Charlotte a job.
(d) That neither Charlotte nor the baby will ever want anything.
3. How does Charlotte present herself to Mrs. Beauchamp the first time they meet?
(a) Charlotte lies about her life in England.
(b) Charlotte speaks of John very positively.
(c) Charlotte makes a fake appearance.
(d) Charlotte breaks into tears over her own unworthiness.
4. On the day before his marriage, what message does John write to Charlotte?
(a) He has no money to support her.
(b) He wishes she would marry him.
(c) He desires she give him the child to raise.
(d) He feels bad about taking her from her home.
5. What does Charlotte ask her parents to help her with in the letter composed after speaking to Mrs. Beauchamp for the first time?
(a) Help for her innocent baby.
(b) Correspondence for peace of mind.
(c) Advice with John.
(d) Money for food and shelter.
6. Of what does John convince Julia as Charlotte befriends Mrs. Beauchamp?
(a) That he is not the father of Charlotte's baby.
(b) That he does not know Charlotte.
(c) That he is not after her money.
(d) That he does care for her family.
7. After his six weeks of active duty, why does John question his ability to be with Julia?
(a) He met another woman while he was gone.
(b) He doesn't trust his impulses any longer.
(c) He has no money.
(d) He doesn't like her family.
8. As John's relationship with Julia deepens, how does he increasingly feel about Charlotte?
(a) That Charlotte is untrue.
(b) That Charlotte wants his money.
(c) That Charlotte lied to get a trip to America.
(d) That Charlotte is his true love.
9. After Charlotte's landlord leaves, what does she decide to do?
(a) Ask Julia for help.
(b) Walk to New York and beg Mrs. Crayton for help.
(c) Find Belcour for her money.
(d) Catch a boat back to England.
10. After meeting Julia, what does John realize about Charlotte?
(a) He was only infatuated with Charlotte.
(b) Charlotte was only his first love.
(c) Charlotte is his true love.
(d) He should stay with Charlotte.
11. What does Belcour think of John marrying Charlotte?
(a) That he could marry better.
(b) That he will not marry her.
(c) That Charlotte will not stay with him.
(d) That Charlotte will die before they reach America.
12. Where does a soldier suggest Charlotte go when she arrives in New York?
(a) Julia's home.
(b) A church.
(c) The hospital.
(d) The Craytons' house.
13. Charlotte gives Belcour letters for John many times. What does Belcour do with these letters?
(a) Destorys them.
(b) Mails them.
(c) Keeps them for himself.
(d) Gives them to John.
14. After John's marriage and lack of response to Charlotte, from whom does Charlotte want help?
(b) Her mother.
(c) Mrs. Beauchamp.
15. As they land in New York, how does Crayton introduce La Rue to his daughter?
(a) As his wife.
(b) As his fiancee.
(c) As John's sister.
(d) As a friend.
Short Answer Questions
1. After John stalks out of Charlotte's house, what does Belcour do?
2. After John's marriage and lack of response to Charlotte, how has Charlotte's anguish left her?
3. Days after Charlotte develops a fever, what does Belcour do?
4. Why does Belcour act tenderly toward Charlotte?
5. Why does Charlotte cry over her fate as Crayton makes his announcement before the voyage to America is over?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)