|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After John's six week active duty, what does he find when he visits Charlotte?
(a) Belcour breaking the news to Charlotte.
(b) Charlotte in labor.
(c) Charlotte pacing the kitchen.
(d) Belcour in bed with Charlotte.
2. During their first meeting, what does Mrs. Beauchamp stress to Charlotte?
(a) Not to speak with Belcour anymore.
(b) To sleep more.
(c) Not to induldge in gloomy thoughts.
(d) To eat well.
3. What does Belcour think of John marrying Charlotte?
(a) That Charlotte will not stay with him.
(b) That he could marry better.
(c) That Charlotte will die before they reach America.
(d) That he will not marry her.
4. When John goes to break-up with Charlotte after meeting Julia, how does Charlotte greet him?
(a) Charlotte is cold and will not speak to him.
(b) Charlotte is not home when John arrives.
(c) Charlotte runs out joyfully to greet him.
(d) Charlotte cries and faints in his arms.
5. After his six weeks of active duty, why does John question his ability to be with Julia?
(a) He doesn't like her family.
(b) He met another woman while he was gone.
(c) He doesn't trust his impulses any longer.
(d) He has no money.
6. Who is Julia Franklin?
(a) John's daughter.
(b) John's former mistress.
(c) A servant for Charlotte.
(d) A wealthy and attracive socialite.
7. What does John do for Charlotte after they arrive in New York?
(a) Gets her a job and apartment.
(b) Takes her shopping.
(c) Sets her up in a small house.
(d) Moves her in with him.
8. Charlotte gives Belcour letters for John many times. What does Belcour do with these letters?
(a) Keeps them for himself.
(b) Destorys them.
(c) Mails them.
(d) Gives them to John.
9. Before the voyage to America is over, what does Col. Crayton do?
(a) Proposes marriage.
(b) Defends La Rue against Belcour.
(c) Reaches Charlotte's family.
(d) Gets food poisoning.
10. As they land in New York, how does Crayton introduce Charlotte to his daughter?
(a) As a teacher.
(b) As a nanny.
(c) As John's mistress.
(d) As John's wife.
11. For what does Rich Col. Crayton have a weakness?
(a) Rich food.
(c) French women.
(d) Excellent conversation.
12. Days after Charlotte develops a fever, what does Belcour do?
(a) Gives Charlotte extra money.
(b) Finds John.
(c) Goes to the port to get her parents.
(d) Meets a farmer's daughter and leaves Charlotte.
13. Who takes care of Charlotte while she is seasick on the voyage to America?
(a) Rich Col. Crayton.
(d) La Rue.
14. After John's wedding, what does Belcour tell Charlotte for three months?
(a) That he understands her delimma.
(b) That he is trying to restore John to reason.
(c) That he is trying to find her parents.
(d) That he will find her help for the baby.
15. On the day before his marriage, about what does John lecture Belcour?
(a) To keep Charlotte away from Julia.
(b) To give Charlotte as little money as possible.
(c) To put her on the boat back to England.
(d) To be kind to Charlotte.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Charlotte ask her parents to help her with in the letter composed after speaking to Mrs. Beauchamp for the first time?
2. After arriving in New York, what does Charlotte do with her time?
3. After John's six week active duty, how does Charlotte react when John arrives?
4. Upon meeting him, what does Rich Col. Crayton think of Belcour?
5. During their first meeting, what does Mrs. Beauchamp tell Charlotte that she wants Charlotte to tell her?
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)