|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. If John cannot get Charlotte to sail with him, what does he hope happens to him?
(a) To die swiftly.
(b) To find a new love quickly.
(c) To get amnesia.
(d) To build a new relationship.
2. What are Lt. John Montraville and Belcour doing in Chichester?
(a) They found a B and B to spend the night.
(b) They stopped for dinner.
(c) They are sightseeing.
(d) They took in a movie.
3. Where is Charlotte Temple emerging from when Lt. John Montraville and Belcour first see her in Chichester?
(a) A soda parlor.
(c) A dime store.
4. How does the loan Mr. Lewis gave Lt. Eldridge earn a due date?
(a) Eldrdige attempts to date Lewis' sister.
(b) Eldridge learns that Lewis enjoys Lucy's company with no intention of marrying.
(c) Eldridge pays off other loans but refuses to give Lewis any money.
(d) Eldridge gains wealth but will not pay Lewis voluntarily.
5. What does La Rue think of Charlotte?
(a) Charlotte is her favorite student.
(b) Charlotte is helpful and kind.
(c) Charlotte is distrustful and vain.
(d) Charlotte is a simpleton.
6. Why does Montraville bribe a school teacher?
(a) To protect a loved one.
(b) To gain money.
(c) To bring Charlotte outside again.
(d) To earn a good grade.
7. At the end of their first meeting, what warning does John remember?
(a) His boss' to stay in line.
(b) His father's warning to marry for money.
(c) His wife's to be serious.
(d) His teacher's to study more.
8. Who does La Rue take to a party?
(d) Du Pont.
9. Who is waiting for Eldridge when he arrives at the Temples' home?
(a) Charlotte and John.
(b) Lucy, alone.
(c) La Rue and Charlotte.
(d) The Temples and guests.
10. Whom does Eldridge credit giving joy to his life?
(b) His minister.
(d) His son.
11. At the end of their first meeting, how does Charlotte respond to John?
(a) She wavers about seeing him again.
(b) She immediately jumps at his suggestions.
(c) She cries about his rudeness.
(d) She invites him to meet her parents.
12. As Charlotte reads the note she received after the party, how does La Rue feel about Charlotte?
(a) She is happy to set Charlote up on a date.
(b) She dislikes Charlotte's sympathy for John.
(c) She gets evil pleasure from watching Charlotte.
(d) She understands Charlotte's sensitive side.
13. What would Charlotte accomplish by meeting with John only once?
(a) She will know what dating a man is like.
(b) She will let him go knowing he will be missed.
(c) She will earn money.
(d) She will help La Rue date Belcour.
14. What does Montraville wonder about Charlotte when he sees her in Chichester?
(a) Can they live together again?
(b) How should he meet her again?
(c) When can he meet her parents?
(d) Can he avoid him?
15. What is Lt. Eldridge's life story?
(a) Served in the navy, is married and has two children.
(b) Gave money to an investor who lost it all.
(c) Is a minister and frequently travels.
(d) Worked in the mines and now has poor health.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Eldridge sent when he cannot repay Lewis' loan?
2. Where did Montraville first meet Charlotte?
3. During his first meeting with La Rue, what best describes Belcour?
4. Who is Mlle La Rue?
5. Why does Henry's father disown him?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)