|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Henry feel about Lucy during their first meeting?
(b) Quite taken.
2. Why does Montraville consider before he meets Charlotte in Chichester who he hasn't seen for years?
(a) The fairness of strking up a friendship or relationship.
(b) The reality of him remembering Montraville.
(c) The money situation he wants to avoid.
(d) The distance they must travel.
3. What is Belcour's ulterior motive in persuading La Rue to sail to America with him?
(a) Getting La Rue fired from the school.
(b) Convincing Charlotte to accompany Montraville.
(c) Getting an attractive wife.
(d) Taking money from Charlotte.
4. According to the narrator, what turns girls' heads?
(a) Men with money.
(b) Men in uniforms.
(c) Men with blond hair.
(d) Men with cars.
5. What does Lucy tell Eldridge about his family?
(a) His son has raised the money.
(b) His son has helped.
(c) His son and wife are dead.
(d) His wife is traveling to find him.
6. What will happen to La Rue if she is caught sneaking out?
(a) She will lose her home.
(b) She will be put in debtor's prison.
(c) She will be charged a fine.
(d) She will lose her job.
7. From where does Henry know Lt. Blakeney?
(b) Blakeney is a stranger to Henry.
(c) Blakeney is a distant cousin of Henry's wife.
8. How does John get Charlotte to agree to travel to America when she makes her final stand to stay?
(a) John threatens her parents.
(b) John repeats every successful argument.
(c) John proposes marriage.
(d) John physically moves her.
9. What do Lt. John Montraville and Belcour do in Chichester?
(a) Get in a fist fight.
(b) Mostly just sleep.
(c) Watch Charlotte Temple.
(d) Call their wives.
10. For how long do Charlotte and John meet nightly in Chichester?
(a) Half a week.
(b) Two weeks.
(c) A month.
(d) A week.
11. How does Charlotte react when she learns of her party thrown by her family?
(a) She laughs.
(b) She cries.
(c) She shrugs.
(d) She faints.
12. Whom does Eldridge credit giving joy to his life?
(a) His minister.
(d) His son.
13. What does La Rue warn Charlotte about if she reneges going to America?
(a) Her parents will not take her back.
(b) La Rue will not get married.
(c) John will ruin her parents' reputations.
(d) Du Pont will remove Charlotte from school.
14. At the end of their first meeting, how does Charlotte respond to John?
(a) She wavers about seeing him again.
(b) She invites him to meet her parents.
(c) She immediately jumps at his suggestions.
(d) She cries about his rudeness.
15. For what is Lt. Eldridge imprisoned?
(a) For murder.
(b) For robbery.
(c) For spousal abuse.
(d) For debt.
Short Answer Questions
1. What disappointment does John claim to have concerning Charlotte toward her parents?
2. After the search and note concerning Charlotte's whereabouts, what does Eldridge conclude?
3. At the end of their first meeting, what does Charlotte agree to?
4. Why does Charlotte read the note she receives after the party?
5. How does Eldridge react to George's efforts at helping him with Lewis's loan?
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)