|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where are Lt. John Montraville and Belcour's deployments?
2. What does the note that Charlotte receives after the party specifically say?
(a) Designing a meeting place to meet.
(b) Explaining how they will travel to America.
(c) Revealing feelings John has for Charlotte for years.
(d) Readers never know.
3. Whom does Eldridge credit giving joy to his life?
(b) His minister.
(d) His son.
4. How does Henry pay down his debt?
(a) He never does pay down the debt.
(b) He asks his wife to work.
(c) He takes side jobs.
(d) He lives cheaply.
5. What does La Rue warn Charlotte about if she reneges going to America?
(a) La Rue will not get married.
(b) Her parents will not take her back.
(c) John will ruin her parents' reputations.
(d) Du Pont will remove Charlotte from school.
6. Of what does Belcour convince La Rue during their first meeting?
(a) To leave La Rue behind.
(b) To sail to Ameria with him.
(c) To give him money.
(d) To lie to her headmistress.
7. After hours of a fruitless search, what message does Du Pont receive?
(a) That Charlotte is alive and well.
(b) That Charlotte is returning to her parents.
(c) That Charlotte went without La Rue.
(d) That Charlotte is happily married.
8. What is Belcour's ulterior motive in persuading La Rue to sail to America with him?
(a) Getting an attractive wife.
(b) Taking money from Charlotte.
(c) Convincing Charlotte to accompany Montraville.
(d) Getting La Rue fired from the school.
9. Why does Charlotte read the note she receives after the party?
(a) Charlotte likes John.
(b) Charlotte never recieved a note from a man before.
(c) La Rue bullies her.
(d) La Rue reads it to her.
10. Why does Henry discharge Eldridge's debt?
(a) He has extra money.
(b) He needs Eldridge's influence in politics.
(c) He pictures Lucy's gratitude.
(d) He believes Eldridge is not guilty.
11. What does Lucy tell Eldridge about his family?
(a) His son and wife are dead.
(b) His son has raised the money.
(c) His son has helped.
(d) His wife is traveling to find him.
12. What happens to Lucy when she sees Eldridge arrive at the party without Charlotte?
(a) She screams.
(b) She begins praying.
(c) She goes into shock.
(d) She swoons.
13. What does La Rue think of Charlotte?
(a) Charlotte is helpful and kind.
(b) Charlotte is distrustful and vain.
(c) Charlotte is a simpleton.
(d) Charlotte is her favorite student.
14. For what is Lt. Eldridge imprisoned?
(a) For debt.
(b) For murder.
(c) For robbery.
(d) For spousal abuse.
15. What does Henry tell Lucy after he arrives at the party without Charlotte?
(a) To destroy the note.
(b) To bear it like a Christian.
(c) To prepare to travel to America.
(d) To forget Charlotte.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Henry's father disown him?
2. If John cannot get Charlotte to sail with him, what does he hope happens to him?
3. For what is Henry Temple known?
4. The second time Montraville sees Charlotte in Chichester, whom is she with?
5. Who is Mlle La Rue?
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)