|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What excuse will Captain Jaggery allow Charlotte to avoid the trial on?
2. What impedes Charlotte's vision as she climbs the mainmast in the storm?
3. When the trial is over, how long is left until the execution?
4. What does Zachariah say when Charlotte accuses him of the murder?
5. Who brings food to Zachariah every day?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Charlotte choose to complete the task given her, and what challenges does she face along the way?
2. What does Mr. Doyle do with Charlotte's journal, and why?
3. What happens when Captain Jaggery orders Charlotte to fix a tangled sail in the bowsprit?
4. What happens to the captain's cabin during the storm?
5. What does Charlotte do after talking to Fisk after the whipping?
6. What does Charlotte learn when she sees a bird flying far from land?
7. Who does Captain Jaggery say will decide Charlotte's fate in the trial, and what does this mean for her?
8. What is Keetch supposed to do to keep Captain Jaggery out of his cabin?
9. What does Charlotte do to make her life easier during the storm?
10. What does Zachariah realize when Charlotte accuses him of murdering Hollybrass?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Diversity was a very important theme in this book. Where did this theme appear, and how did Avi present the theme in a dynamic way?
Essay Topic 2
Valor was a theme of this book that was very important to many of the characters involved. Where did this theme of valor present itself and how did these occurrences affect the characters involved in those scenes?
Essay Topic 3
Charlotte endures many different trials before the end of the book. What are some of these trials and what lessons does she learn through these experiences?
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)