|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Charlotte do when she speaks with the captain after the whipping?
2. Who takes over Zachariah's jobs after the whipping?
3. What does Charlotte wish she could tell her family?
4. What does Charlotte do to improve her vision as she climbs the mainmast in the storm?
5. What does Zachariah say that he needs in order to confront Captain Jaggery after Charlotte's trial?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Captain Jaggery rushing the execution of Charlotte?
2. What happens after Captain Jaggery is killed?
3. What does Charlotte see on deck after she speaks with Captain Jaggery after the whipping?
4. What does Charlotte do to make her life easier during the storm?
5. What does Charlotte do at the end of the book?
6. What does Mr. Doyle do with Charlotte's journal, and why?
7. What happens when Captain Jaggery orders Charlotte to fix a tangled sail in the bowsprit?
8. What is Charlotte told to do to prove her loyalty to the crew?
9. What does Zachariah realize when Charlotte accuses him of murdering Hollybrass?
10. What does Zachariah say he would need in order to confront Captain Jaggery, and what is Charlotte's response to this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does symbolism play in the story and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 2
Security and safety were two themes that were touched on a number of times throughout the course of this book. What are some of these instances, and how does this affect the characters in these scenes?
Essay Topic 3
Many different characters in this book were persuaded to do things that they would not have done of their own accord. What are some of these instances, and how did persuasion affect the course of the plot?
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)