|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who brings food to Zachariah every day?
2. What impedes Charlotte's vision as she climbs the mainmast in the storm?
3. What does Hollybrass blame Captain Jaggery for?
4. What does Captain Jaggery say when Charlotte speaks to him after the whipping?
5. What does Charlotte see the crew doing after she talks to Captain Jaggery after the whipping?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the captain's cabin during the storm?
2. What does Charlotte do when she first sees Zachariah in the jail, and what does he say to her?
3. What is Captain Jaggery's main point against Charlotte during the trial?
4. What is Keetch supposed to do to keep Captain Jaggery out of his cabin?
5. What does Charlotte see when she is taken on deck for her trial?
6. What does Charlotte do at the end of the book?
7. What does Mr. Doyle do with Charlotte's journal, and why?
8. What happens when Charlotte is taken to the jail?
9. What happens after Captain Jaggery is killed?
10. What does Charlotte do after talking to Fisk after the whipping?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Charlotte endures many different trials before the end of the book. What are some of these trials and what lessons does she learn through these experiences?
Essay Topic 2
Friendship is a strong theme throughout the book. Where are some places that this theme appears, and how do the characters touched by it react? How do certain friendships change over the course of the book, and what causes these changes?
Essay Topic 3
Despair was a theme that was placed in a number of sensitive places in this plot. What are some of these places, and what role did despair play in this play?
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)