|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Charlotte wish she could tell her family?
2. What impedes Charlotte's vision as she climbs the mainmast in the storm?
3. What does Zachariah see Hollybrass doing during the storm?
4. What does Charlotte ask a crew member when she wakes up after the storm?
5. Who sees Charlotte's knife when she takes it back to her room?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mr. Doyle do with Charlotte's journal, and why?
2. What happens to the captain's cabin during the storm?
3. What does Charlotte do after talking to Fisk after the whipping?
4. What does Charlotte do to make her life easier during the storm?
5. What is Keetch supposed to do to keep Captain Jaggery out of his cabin?
6. What does Charlotte do at the end of the book?
7. Why is Captain Jaggery rushing the execution of Charlotte?
8. What does Charlotte do after the storm, and why is this so surprising?
9. How does Mr. Hollybrass die?
10. What does Charlotte do when she first sees Zachariah in the jail, and what does he say to her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Diversity was a very important theme in this book. Where did this theme appear, and how did Avi present the theme in a dynamic way?
Essay Topic 2
Valor was a theme of this book that was very important to many of the characters involved. Where did this theme of valor present itself and how did these occurrences affect the characters involved in those scenes?
Essay Topic 3
Many different characters in this book were persuaded to do things that they would not have done of their own accord. What are some of these instances, and how did persuasion affect the course of the plot?
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)