|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who takes over Zachariah's jobs after the whipping?
2. Who, aside from Charlotte, sees Zachariah during the storm?
3. When the trial is over, how long is left until the execution?
4. What does Zachariah say when Charlotte accuses him of the murder?
5. What does Captain Jaggery call Charlotte during the trial?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Charlotte see when she is taken on deck for her trial?
2. What does Mr. Doyle do with Charlotte's journal, and why?
3. What happens after Captain Jaggery is killed?
4. Why is Captain Jaggery rushing the execution of Charlotte?
5. What happens to the captain's cabin during the storm?
6. Who does Captain Jaggery say will decide Charlotte's fate in the trial, and what does this mean for her?
7. What is Keetch supposed to do to keep Captain Jaggery out of his cabin?
8. What does Charlotte do to make her life easier during the storm?
9. What does Charlotte see on deck after she speaks with Captain Jaggery after the whipping?
10. What does Charlotte do when she first sees Zachariah in the jail, and what does he say to her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This book takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affected the course of the plot. Why might Avi have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
Essay Topic 2
Sacrifice was a theme that was very prevalent in this book. Who were the characters most affected by this theme, and how did they allow sacrifice to change their lives?
Essay Topic 3
Betrayal was a theme introduced at the very beginning of this book. How does this constant stream of betrayal affect the outcome of the plot, and which characters were most affected by it?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)